Experts: Is this a Valeo Radiator?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by jimxms, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jimxms

jimxms New Member

Car:
    W211 E55 AMG
    Ever since I purchased my E55 I've experienced issues with it jerking when pulling away and also rumbling (like going over a rumble strip in the road) under light acceleration.

After a bit of investigation I came across all the threads regarding coolant getting into the transmission fluid and basically wrecking the torque converter.

I understand that the Valeo radiators are the culprits and can be identified by toothed end-tanks. Is this one (my rad):

[​IMG]

If so, I wonder if this explains why the previous owner of the car had the trans fluid flushed not long before getting rid of the car. I'd imagine fresh fluid would help mask the issue for long enough to trade it in?

2. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    I would say YES it is im afraid. Get it sorted sooner rather than later.

3. OP
    OP
    jimxms

jimxms New Member

Car:
    W211 E55 AMG
    Thanks for the confirmation. I went ahead and contacted the dealer who sold me the car on sunday to inform him that I'm pretty sure my tranny is already shot and the radiator is the cause and will also need replacing.

So far he's been quite good about the whole situation, but obviously I'm not going to sing his praises until I get the car back with a rebuilt tranny, full fluid flush and refill and a new radiator.

I've taken a sample of the ATF fluid which I intend to send away to get analysed separately. At least that way I'll know if he tries to fob me off.

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Active Member

Car:
    W210 E220 CDi
    Very sorry to read of your expected predicament, but I do think that you have a good handle on it (ATF analysis), do let us know how you get on, and hope you have very good luck!

5. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Active Member

Car:
    S210 320cdi
    The E55 saloon (WDB211076) is listed as being one of the csrs that can suffer this issue, up to production date 09/2003 - according to star bulletin P-B-27.55/50e

In many cases a rad change and thorough fluid flush is all that is needed.

6. effbee584

effbee584 Active Member

Car:
    Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
    When I became aware of the Valeo Rad problem, I asked my indie to identify the brand of Rad that was fitted to my2003 320cdi. It was actually a BEHR (phew), they had to remove the front slam panel to locate and read the manufacturers plate, they charged me £54 for the privilege. Money well spent I think.
    Had it been a Valeo, I would have had it replaced along with new ATF.
    Its probably an easy DIY job to do the ident bit, but this was a very cold February.
    Worth a look for peace of mind.