Expired road tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
I went to DVLA Portsmouth two weeks ago to swap my personal number from my CLK to my SL. As the tax on the SL was due to expire at the end of March I paid for that to be renewed from April 1st in the new personal number. They checked all the paperwork and said it was correct. They kept both V5s, both MOTs, both insurance certs and I paid £350.
I have heard nothing since so the SL now has an expired tax disc.
I plan to use it even though I cannot display a tax disc as I have applied for tax and have paid DVLA in good time before the previous tax expired.
Any views on the likelihood of me being hassled by the police ? Will I trigger ANPR equipment ?

The fact that you can apply for VED by post means that they give you some grace the other side of the renewal date. I doubt you'll ping ANPR for a couple of weeks, probably best to carry the documentation that shows you've paid just in case.

They recently upped the period for non display of a payed for tax disc to fourteen days but keep check the taxdisc site to see what the current status is, both whether the plate has been changed and what the disc status is.

What it says on the system is what the police will go by so don't swap the plate until the site confirms it's been done.

Ignore the last updated date at the bottom of the page, it's a red herring.

I very much doubt that you'll have a problem. At the very worst you may get flagged up somewhere and get a computer generated letter through the post. By the time that arrives you should have all your docs and tax discs back so can reply with that info. If you don't have the docs in time you can just send a letter stating your evidence of having been to DVLA Portsmouth. If they gave you a receipt of some kind with a refernece number (which they should have done) then that will explain everything. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

I'm in a slightly similar situation in that I sent my V5C back to Swansea on 15th April to change an error that I hadn't spotted before (shown as diesel instead of petrol :eek:). By 29th April (two weeks later) I hadn't heard anything back from them so went on line to renew my tax disc. It was still showing up as a diesel car but I went ahead and renewed on that basis because it was all I could do. Like you, I've paid my money so done all I can. It's not our fault that the DVLA are slow. I'm going to keep on using my car even if I'm technically at fault. If that's my most heinous crime, I can live with it.

The DVLA website says it has no data on the personal number, currently on the CLK and taxed to the end of May nor on the SL with the plate it came on and expired tax !
I need to check but dont recall being given a receipt .....

Give dvla Swansea a ring on Tuesday, I found them to be very helpful,they will let you know the current situation of your documents and tax. Unfortunately the recent centralisation ( local dvla just post/forward to Swansea) means that changes take a little more time. My transfer took about 12 working days as opposed to the 7 days I was quoted at local dvla.

I realised this morning that all 3 cars sitting outside my house had no road tax having all expired on the 31st! :wallbash:
I did them all online this morning and needed to get some shopping so hope the above grace period will apply :eek:

I plan to call DVLA first thing tomorrow. I am sure it is all in process and I am not exposed to prosecution but I need to have them confirm that and that the paperwork has reached Swansea. I just looked and the cheque hasnt cleared yet.

I realised this morning that all 3 cars sitting outside my house had no road tax having all expired on the 31st! :wallbash:
I did them all online this morning and needed to get some shopping so hope the above grace period will apply :eek:

The 'grace period' only applies if you applied for the tax disc before the 1st of the month.

The 'grace period' only applies if you applied for the tax disc before the 1st of the month.

Maybe I will be lucky and they won't include public holidays ;)

I am well inside the grace period then ( provided I get the paperwork back before the 15th !).
I was thinking about all this. Its a tax I am willing to pay so why is that so hard to do ?
This country is so overdue in switching from Road Fund Licences to a tax on fuel instead. That way the more people use the roads the more they pay - surely the politicians who bang on relentlessly about being fair can see the fairness of that ?
ANPR cameras will still pick up those with no MOT or insurance and as MOTs are now on a centralised database that could be geared to flag up non renewal and relate that to the SORN database. Insurance falls into a broadly similar category. The police have better things to do than act as tax collectors for DVLA.
Too much like common sense for our political masters ?

I agree Richard, I find it a farce how many hoops you have to jump through to pay road tax, it must be the only one they make so hard to pay!

I believe that the grace period applies only if you applied before the expiry of the tax disc. Since you clearly applied after the expiry, albeit by a few hours, I'm not sure you are covered by this. I would be careful until the new discs arrive.

I just called DVLA and got an interesting new twist on this. The good news is that they are processing my paperwork now and I should get it all back in about 5 days.
The not so good news is that the "grace period" applicable to me for non display of a valid tax disc is 5 working days from the month end. This is in spite of me applying and paying for a new tax disc. Apparently the 14 days applies to the time frame for SORNing the car. I therefore have until Monday of next week to receive all the transfer paperwork and new tax discs or I will be unable to use my SL or park it on the road. Of course Sods law applies and I have builders in with a drive full of vans and a garage full of building stuff so the SL is on the road !
All I can do is hope the paperwork reaches me before Monday but if it doesnt and I get "nicked" I will insist on it going to court.
As I said before I am willing to pay my taxes including VED but the civil servants dont make it easy ! According to their website they are all on strike this Friday. ...... you couldnt make it up could you !

I just checked and the 5 days is correct. It was changed to 14 days in the 2013 draft Finance Act but this does not become effective until Royal Assent is granted around July time.

I wouldn't worry I moved house and didn't update the V5 on the wifes car and drove it around for months without tax before I twigged what had happened.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom