Expired road tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You were lucky Marriedblonde - so many W Sussex police cars have ANPR now.
It didnt arrive today so if it doesnt turn up tomorrow, and they are on strike tomorrow, I am heading into next week and into the danger zone !
We will see ......

Just a note of caution - the offence is not displaying a valid tax disc. You can even be done for it if your VED disc is not displayed correctly. I don't think "it's in the post" is a valid get-out clause. And don't blame the Civil Servants, there's not many of 'em left!!! :)

No tax disc in todays post and DVLA were on strike today. My 5 working day grace period is rapidly disappearing.
I dont honestly know what I will do if it isnt here by Monday. It just seems so wrong if I cant use my car on the road despite applying to DVLA and paying for a VED licence weeks ago.

Yes, it is wrong. Just don't beat yourself up over it. Go ahead and use your car. IF you're stopped by the police for not displaying a valid disc just explain to them why. Most coppers are actually human and will let it go. IF you're unlucky enough to be reported by the copper who has just found out his wife has been shagging the neighbour's son, write back and explain everything. IF it still ends up in court you'll (a) have everything sorted by then and (b) the magistrate will throw out any prosecution because it's a total waste of everyone's time. Life's too short to worry.

Thanks Knighterrant.
2 V5s arrived in todays post showing the reg numbers have been swapped but there were no tax discs or MOTs or insurance certs.
I will put the changed plates on today and have informed my insurers of the change.
I had decided that as I had done everything possible to remain within the law no thinking police officer would seek prosecution over a failure to dispay alone so I will use the SL next week. I normally prefer to be totally inside the law (speeding aside!) but will make an exception on this occasion.
The government appears to be acknowledging the existence of this problem by extending the grace period from 5 to 14 days too.

I am in a similar situation and have printed off the online application for road tax and put it in the glove box.
If I'm stopped I'll show that and hope for the best. It's paid for, so as far as I'm concerned, so I'll use it.:devil:

Typical, the V5s should be the last thing to arrive and by a big margin.

I've finally got mine going through at the moment and when the missus was in the local office the other day some plonker, who thought arguing with them would make it happen quicker, was quoting their SLA at them and was told that didn't apply during March :rolleyes:

I am in a similar situation and have printed off the online application for road tax and put it in the glove box.
If I'm stopped I'll show that and hope for the best. It's paid for, so as far as I'm concerned, so I'll use it.:devil:

You should've had an email confirmation which might be a better thing to have on you.

You won't get prosecuted these days by the Police for failing to display a current VEL, as long as you've paid your licence fee.

If your vehicle is seen or stopped by the Police with no/expired VEL a form CLE/26 is submitted by them to DVLA stating time and date of 'alleged offence'.

If DVLA confirm vehicle is currently taxed - end of.

B1g1an that has been my experience too - tax discs, Mot certs, other stuff first and V5s some time later. Not this time though.
Interesting that so many of us are in the same position currently. I guess thats why the grace period is being extended from 5 to 14 ( or is it 15 ?) days.

Mondays post has been and no tax disc ...... I move into the "danger zone" tomorrow and have to drive it as its going to Olly for some TLC.
Now why did I buy a car that needs 16 spark plugs ?

You aren't in any danger as long as the DVLA have a record of you purchasing the tax. as already said, the police don't prosecute RFL offenses, they refer them to the DVLA...who have taken your payment and have a record.

Have you tried an on-line tax search?

I did the search last week and neither car came up on their database. I will try again now

"vehicle details not found "
Priceless !

Since Swansea have had all the paperwork in order to deal with the issuance of the new V5s I know they have my cheque which included payment for the VED - one cheque for £350 being £270 VED plus £80 for the reg transfer. I have no paperwork to show for it though other than the new V5s. I wonder what an ANPR would show ? I might find out tomorrow !

Has your cheque been cashed ?

Yes - chill and relax.

No - panic !

Has your cheque been cashed ?

Yes - chill and relax.

No - panic !
I've recently found that to be no guide with the DVLA.

I made a Subject Data Access request of them and enclosed a cheque in payment. Seven or eight days later I checked my bank account to see if the cheque had been cashed. It hadn't. Later that day I received in the post the information I'd requested from DVLA. Fully a week after that the cheque was drawn on my account.

Go figure, as the 'Mericans say :dk:

The DLVA site has two options for Merc's

One says MERCEDES the other MERCEDES-BENZ

Try both of them

Tax discs, MOT certs etc all arrived in todays post ...... Car is with Olly today so he can safely rag it round Horndean without worrying about plods ANPR !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom