Expired Tyre Sealant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
I've just noticed that the tyre sealant in my car "expired" in 2016. I bought the car from a Mercedes Main Dealer last month. As there is no spare wheel and this sealant is unusable (according to what I've read), is it expected that the Dealer should supply me with a new one without charge? I have already emailed them and await a reply, but thought I'd get the opinions from this forum.

IMG_20210316_175012.jpg

Ask yourself this question,
If you get a nail in your low profile 19"/20" tyre that costs £120+++, and it can be fixed, are you going to ruin it by squirting £3.99 of gunk in it to get you home or are you going to phone your recovery company to come and rescue you, saving yourself £116++?

I for one wouldn't be using that stuff unless the tyre was goosed beyond repair, in which case it probably wouldn't work anyway.

Ask yourself this question,
If you get a nail in your low profile 19"/20" tyre that costs £120+++, and it can be fixed, are you going to ruin it by squirting £3.99 of gunk in it to get you home or are you going to phone your recovery company to come and rescue you, saving yourself £116++?

I for one wouldn't be using that stuff unless the tyre was goosed beyond repair, in which case it probably wouldn't work anyway.
I may not use it, but shouldn't it be in date anyway?

In my experience well out of date aerosols usually lose the propellant.

Update:
Dealer has asked me to buy a replacement locally and send him the bill. Result.
Highly recommended Mercedes Benz Beaconsfield. They have been amazing and made my first Merc purchase an absolute pleasure. 👍😊

I've just noticed that the tyre sealant in my car "expired" in 2016. I bought the car from a Mercedes Main Dealer last month. As there is no spare wheel and this sealant is unusable (according to what I've read), is it expected that the Dealer should supply me with a new one without charge? I have already emailed them and await a reply, but thought I'd get the opinions from this forum.

View attachment 110562
I had no idea until yesterday that this stuff deteriorates and expires! I say this after driving around for years in various Mercs with no spare wheel. I can think of little worse than being stuck helplessly in a rural area with no phone signal. My local dealership want £60 for a new kit but I have found this one at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y41H...&colid=FWCA566UU1QV&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
It's 620ml which is the same size as the Merc one and costs £19.99
I thought that I must be the dummy in the class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom