Exploding radiator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timmy

Car
w202 Esprit.
Whilst my 1993 w202 was in for MOT today, the radiator apparently exploded during the emmision test. Not amused.

1. Is this a common problem.
2. What could cause such a thing to happen.
3. Who should pay for the repair....been quoted £139 supplied and fitted by the MOT station, who feel a bit guilty I think.

I have not been to the garage out of fear of killing somebody, so have not seen the damage. Thankfully, it didn't happen on saturday, when I would have had wife and kids in car to go camping.

Needless to say, they abandoned the test:mad:

I guess it is nobody's fault then. Will just have to get over it:mad:

Maybe someone dropped a rag into the fan and won't admit it. :(

Shit man but like you said better than if you were driving.

Just been and checked my rad... No header to it.

Must have blown befor i got hold of it, hopefully it wont happen to me.

....and still no MOT. Just hope it passes without anymore expense. Apparently, it's not as rare as you may think, having looked at other MB sites. And it actually happened to Spinal a member on this forum whilst she was driving her car. They simply explode. At least nobody was hurt, unless there is a greasy looking guy in Warrington with a black piece of plastic sticking out of his head:D.

The garage have kinda admitted somekind of fault though, by offering to supply it at trade price and also to fit it free. Makes me suspicious still:crazy: . Just hope they go easy on the MOT as well.:)

timmy And it actually happened to Spinal a member on this forum whilst she was driving her car. [/QUOTE said:
I don't think Spinal has had the change yet so referring to Him might be better. Yes it's Michelle as in French.;)

It sounds like the rad just over pressurised due to getting fully hot whilst idleing for a long time.
Check your expansion cap is releasing at the proper pressure.

Dieselman said:
I don't think Spinal has had the change yet so referring to Him might be better. Yes it's Michelle as in French.;)

PMSL:D Forgive me, it's been one of those days:crazy:

benny said:
Shit man but like you said better than if you were driving.

Just been and checked my rad... No header to it.

Must have blown befor i got hold of it, hopefully it wont happen to me.

The ones with the header tank on top are fitted on the pre-facelift ones.
The header is only crimped to the rad and this is where it blows.

Did MB not issue a recall for this problem? If they have been looking into this fault then surely it means they acknowledge there is a fault.

Might be worth pestering the local stealer on this one.

£179, supplied and fitted , this also included the MOT, which it passed with flying colours, and bits of black plastic:D . Glad it happened when it did really........in fact for it to happen on the ramps at the garage is probably the ideal place, if there is one.:confused:

Hmmm, this starts sounding VERY fishy... I just got back from Italy (4am in the morning here, left Bardonecchia just after lunch...) Anyhow, back to the point; my radiator exploded too (Well, the tank above it) while stationary in traffic just before leaving for Italy. I wasn't amused either. I need a new radiator too, so will be popping by my local stealer to get one.

Bad batch sounds like a pretty big statement... and yet, I'm convinced... anyone else plan to send a complaint to MB?

Michele

EDIT: I was lucky enough to be left with two "souvenir" dents in my bonnet too; were you this lucky?

In a MOT test centre, the car is left started for a period of time while it is completely stationary. Are you sure the car doesn't overheat? It may have had a previous prob with the cooling system.

Final add on, this one comes straight from the stealers mouth... He believes my radiator exploded due to a faulty viscous fan; you might want to check that. I'm changing my radiator today, then plan to check it.

Michele

I had a viscous fan go on my old c class,luckly all it ever did was go into the red when in heavy traffic.For what it was,It cost and arm and a leg nearly to replace.Try the famous carrot test on yours first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom