Exploding tableware ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
23,089
Location
Shropshire
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
We have a set of shallow black hexagonal bowls that we've used regularly since we got them from the in-laws in 2006 ... they'd had them for 15+ years before that:

1700758507364.png

Today Mrs BTB and I were having home-made lasagne for lunch - we each had a bowl with a portion of it sitting on the table, and I was watching to make sure none of the dogs helped themselves :D while Mrs BTB fetched the garlic bread. As she walked in her bowl exploded with a loud bang, flinging shards over about a 5' radius :eek: This is what was left on the table:

Capture.JPG

Turns out they are tempered glass (French 'Arcoroc' brand), which is known for occasional spontaneous shattering events. It's meant to break into approximately square chunks (like safety glass), but this produced razor sharp slivers of all shapes and sizes that went all round the room.

Let's be careful out there boys & girls - think I'll be wearing one of these at mealtimes in future!

1700756139489.png
 
Garlic Bread


peter-kay-garlic-bread.gif
 
Reminds me we used to have an outdoor table with a glass top. Reason we bought it was the size; 2.3 x 1.6mtrs with a single piece of tempered glass. It sat 10 people comfortably with loads of room in the middle for food and drink. One day it just exploded- squares of glass everywhere but I must have looked a proper Charlie shoveling up the worst of it then hovering the rest.

Never seen something the same size since (in glass).....I guess the cost of replacing exploding sheets of glad that size was too much for the importer!
 
We have a set of shallow black hexagonal bowls that we've used regularly since we got them from the in-laws in 2006 ... they'd had them for 15+ years before that:

View attachment 149791

Today Mrs BTB and I were having home-made lasagne for lunch - we each had a bowl with a portion of it sitting on the table, and I was watching to make sure none of the dogs helped themselves :D while Mrs BTB fetched the garlic bread. As she walked in her bowl exploded with a loud bang, flinging shards over about a 5' radius :eek: This is what was left on the table:

View attachment 149794

Turns out they are tempered glass (French 'Arcoroc' brand), which is known for occasional spontaneous shattering events. It's meant to break into approximately square chunks (like safety glass), but this produced razor sharp slivers of all shapes and sizes that went all round the room.

Let's be careful out there boys & girls - think I'll be wearing one of these at mealtimes in future!

View attachment 149790

Your lasagna was booby trapped. I point the finger at the Wagner Group. Or maybe Hamas. Who did you have as guests recently.....?
 
Having thought about it (I didn't have a very good night's sleep), I think the problem was your Lasagne and possibly use of an incorrect ingredient.
If by mistake, you topped it with a French cheese, rather than the usual Parmesan, that may account for why you ended up with de brie all over your dining table.....
Seriously though, that could have been nasty; we had a Pyrex serving dish do a similar thing a few years ago and were still finding shards of glass in the kitchen days later. We came to the conclusion it must have been damaged at some time during washing up and the subsequent heating/cooling cycle during use caused the eventual failure.
 
Having thought about it (I didn't have a very good night's sleep), I think the problem was your Lasagne and possibly use of an incorrect ingredient.
If by mistake, you topped it with a French cheese, rather than the usual Parmesan, that may account for why you ended up with de brie all over your dining table.....
Seriously though, that could have been nasty; we had a Pyrex serving dish do a similar thing a few years ago and were still finding shards of glass in the kitchen days later. We came to the conclusion it must have been damaged at some time during washing up and the subsequent heating/cooling cycle during use caused the eventual failure.

Ah you could be onto something there ... it was a grated mozzarella / cheddar mix!

TBH we weren't even aware the bowls were glass - being black it's not really obvious. Having looked it up yesterday, tempered glass items are intentionally made with significant internal stress - the outer skin is under compression and the inside under tension. Surface flaws in particular can cause this stored energy to be released with a bang, so that was most likely the cause:


Our dogs are regularly in the dining room and there are 3 beds in there for them - all of these had small shards of glass in them. Took some time to clear everything up - luckily the floor is tiled rather than carpeted!
 
Mrs JHS and I were in a hotel in Aosta last year. Mrs JHS was having a shower before we set out to a nice local restaurant for dinner. there was a crash and a scream from the bathroom and I rushed in to find her standing surrounded by glass fragments.
She had moved the shower screen door which shattered as soon as she touched it.
A very lucky escape for her.Just a little cut on her foot.
 
Mrs JHS and I were in a hotel in Aosta last year. Mrs JHS was having a shower before we set out to a nice local restaurant for dinner. there was a crash and a scream from the bathroom and I rushed in to find her standing surrounded by glass fragments.
She had moved the shower screen door which shattered as soon as she touched it.
A very lucky escape for her.Just a little cut on her foot.

Wow, you'd think a shower door would be laminated safety glass ... I guess not a requirement everywhere.
 
Wow, you'd think a shower door would be laminated safety glass ... I guess not a requirement everywhere.
On a similar safety related theme, I remember a Swiss hotel we stayed in where the bathroom had a very smart his n' hers double basin vanity unit/ mirror combo built in, complete with a handy 240V socket for your hair straighteners mounted on the splashback above the basins :eek:
 
On a similar safety related theme, I remember a Swiss hotel we stayed in where the bathroom had a very smart his n' hers double basin vanity unit/ mirror combo built in, complete with a handy 240V socket for your hair straighteners mounted on the splashback above the basins :eek:

Yikes.

When we sold our house a couple of years ago it was faulted on the electrical survey for not having a fully waterproof light fitting on the bathroom ceiling. IMHO if you manage to somehow direct a stream of water onto the light in the middle of a room, find a stool, then climb on that and stick your hand into the fitting then you deserve to get a shock!
 
Having thought about it (I didn't have a very good night's sleep),

To help you sleep… (shamelessly stolen)

Sweet dreams are made of cheese,
who am I to diss a brie,
I cheddar the world and the feta cheese,
everybody’s looking for Stilton
 
Reminds me of the time I broke a glass table in the staffroom. All I did was hit a fist down on it and boom, the table exploded shattered glass over the entire room! What was interesting was the way it made a fizzing sounds for minutes after shattering.
 
Reminds me of the storm of 88 . I was called back from work as our garden fence has been blown down ( actually blown away ) I could see 5 of the fence panels strewn about the place but couldn't find the sixth. Went upstairs , looked out of the window , and there it was embedded in my neighbours' lovely octagonal greenhouse. It was fitted with tempered glass and the force of the 6' panel hitting it had shattered every pane of glass :eek:
 
Yikes.

When we sold our house a couple of years ago it was faulted on the electrical survey for not having a fully waterproof light fitting on the bathroom ceiling. IMHO if you manage to somehow direct a stream of water onto the light in the middle of a room, find a stool, then climb on that and stick your hand into the fitting then you deserve to get a shock!
Sadly there are people that will do exactly that. And the sue.
 
We had a glass wall at the office shatter to a million tiny pieces for no obvious reason. It was caught on our CCTV, it happend at 4am when the office was deserted. The assumption was that the glass was overstressed either at production or when fitted, however it was installed 8 years ago and we couldn't claim on any warranty.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom