Exploding tableware ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BTW, this has also been known to happen to cars' windscreens and to pano roofs.

I worked in a large office building on the South Bank for many years and they installed clear film on all the windows there, although I think they were more concerned about car bombs than spontaneous shattering!

I've also had a shower door shatter for no apparent reason we'd just fitted it that day and the following morning just a million pieces Victoria plumbing replaced it FOC

I worked in a large office building on the South Bank for many years and they installed clear film on all the windows there, although I think they were more concerned about car bombs than spontaneous shattering!

And for a good reason...:

We had a glass wall at the office shatter to a million tiny pieces for no obvious reason. It was caught on our CCTV, it happend at 4am when the office was deserted. The assumption was that the glass was overstressed either at production or when fitted, however it was installed 8 that years ago and we couldn't claim on any warranty.
We had that happen at work too. Thankfully the office was empty at the time. The glass was branded so there was a transparent/opaque film over most of it which limited the mess.

Industrial glass is interesting stuff.
The warehouse manager at a company I used to do work for gave me a demonstration once on how easy and difficult it was to break. He had a scrap piece of curved glass about 4 foot square in a skip and attacked it with a lump hammer plumb in the middle of the panel......nothing! Lump hammer just bounced off.
However, a relatively light tap with said hammer on the edge of the glass at a corner had it disintegrating into a billion pieces.

Reminds me of the time I broke a glass table in the staffroom. All I did was hit a fist down on it and boom, the table exploded shattered glass over the entire room! What was interesting was the way it made a fizzing sounds for minutes after shattering.
Double glazed units make a similar noise when your Flymo launches a stone at them.
Ask me how I know.:(

Naughty Dave has a lot of mates, it seems... :D
Some good TV reruns too! 😎

Double glazed units make a similar noise when your Flymo launches a stone at them.
Ask me how I know.:(
That happened to me, the first time I cut the lawn in my first house - smashed the double-glazed unit in the French doors!

And for a good reason...:

Yup, I worked in the offices on the South and North banks from 1986 to 2020 and there were quite a few discreet changes in the '90s. The South bank staff restaurant was on the ground floor, with floor to ceiling windows all down one side. Those had chain mail curtains on the inside as well as the window film ... they weren't at all obvious, it was only if you looked at them closely that you could see what they were.

It was the Ukrainian guy who brought 3 live grenades to a town council meeting... and pulled the pins out wounding 26 people.

""....grenades are far easier to come by as the United States and Western allies pour billions of dollars of weaponry into Ukraine"

I guess that's what happens when the West floods your country with munitions..... And, similarly, in Gaza there are probably more AK-47s than people.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom