Explorer 8 vs Firefox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Just switched back to Explorer on my new Asus laptop after having all sorts of issues with Firefox (was getting lock ups and erratic Logmein behaviour..)

Explorer 8 twice as fast and machine now stable it seems..

I used to prefer Firefox as it was allegedly less prone to attack and was not MS, not so sure now as it seems so bogged down by Yahoo and AVG clip on bits that even when I try to strip it back, it seems very unwieldy, takes ages to fire up as well..

Anyone else any preference.

Ade

Just reading this forum, Firefox will not open the next thread & has to be shut down & restarted before it will do so.

I've already changed from Chrome because it kept crashing & freezing too.

(just checked, Firefox has an update for security & stability reasons, will see if that helps)

Russ

Last edited:
IE8 appears to have given a new lease of life to our 6 year old Sony VAIO laptop at home . Much quicker on the web for some reason.

Back to IE here as well... I did spend some time with Opera and FF, but IE8 is just such a breath of fresh air...

No, I'm being totally serious... I just rebuilt my laptop and for the first time in many moons I'm not bothering putting firefox back on there... I can run it under Linux in a VM if I'm desperate to test a page, but IE8 is hands down the best browser out there... faster than FF, more stable then Chrome... Sad that they don't make it for OsX anymore...

Still using FF. Founding IE8 to give error messages and "crash". Its very unstable on my PC but FF runs a treat.

FF has lots of useful features - but it has too many bugs- it throws a fit at every update (and i now suspect couldn't handle a upgrade from 2mb to 10mb b/band) and now has stopped working altogether.Any cures or fixes for it require a degree in computer programming
Returned to IE6 (yes only 6) and after the FF crash , IE has been suspiciously excellent

Another thing that really helped me swap was that there is an IE compatible version of greasemonkey...

(and i now suspect couldn't handle a upgrade from 2mb to 10mb b/band)

I have a Virgin 50mb connection, and FF handles that just fine for me ;)

I have IE8, Chrome, and Safari 4 installed too, but I always use firefox. For me, it's always been the most stable, and has the most useful and well built add on's.

IE8 is a vast improvement over IE7, but it's still no where near as good at passing the real world tests etc as other browsers. It consistently fails rendering tests, even still to this day.

And why do they insist on having a click sound every time you click a link?!

You can turn it off if you go to: Control Pannel > Sound > Sounds Tab > Scroll down the list to "Windows Explorer" > Click "Start Navigation" then change the sound field just above the "OK" button at the bottom to none.

Maybe there's a simpler way but that's how I did it.

I have a Virgin 50mb connection, and FF handles that just fine for me ;)

I have IE8, Chrome, and Safari 4 installed too, but I always use firefox. For me, it's always been the most stable, and has the most useful and well built add on's.

IE8 is a vast improvement over IE7, but it's still no where near as good at passing the real world tests etc as other browsers. It consistently fails rendering tests, even still to this day.

Thru a lenghty process of elimination - i can only hazard at a guess that FF was culprit

A good day
389603896.png

And ones i used to get quite often
422246509.png

Something. i belive, to do with "high latency" or "DNS problem"?

Last edited:
Not sure why you get that - heres mine (Through FF):

503406245.png

And thats pretty much where it always stays, never seem to have an issue with latency myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom