Export Mercedes to India

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ManJ

Car
E270 CDI(54), CLK270 CDI(03), S320 CDI(03), Smart Passion CDI (2011)
Hi guys, I have a 1998 W202 Mercedes C250 TurboDiesel (Sport) and I am interested in Sending it across as a present to India for family, could someone advise me on what I may need to do?

Thanks in advance
ManJ

You will get hit by a huge import tax in India for importing a used vehicle. I did some enquiries some time ago, but it was nearly 100% of the value!

Its not hard sending it, send it with a freight company and it arrrives within a couple of weeks + a week in customs.

KLP... Your ahead of the game, I know this sounds silly, but I know some people that drove the car to India, I obviously dont want to do that, my parents live in India, can it not be sent to them for personal use?

On top of what KLP says ive heard that alot of people find many parts of their cars go missing whilst in customs too.

Hmm... Rang a few shipping companys they said they will get it there, but its down to me to clear customs, which is where they will do me in...

Last edited:
KLP... Your ahead of the game, I know this sounds silly, but I know some people that drove the car to India, I obviously dont want to do that, my parents live in India, can it not be sent to them for personal use?

Drive it there - what a road trip!!!:rock:

Definatly!!! Need to get this there, there must be a way, a nice bribe at customs!!!

Customs will screw you no matter what - my uncle exported his 203 last year and practically paid over what the car was worth!!

I woudl not drive it there, and I think they will still get you as the car needs to be registered within a certain amount of time...

Do you know anyone who could help over there? if you know what I mean?

Not really, I know a few people, but no1 that can help with import, but in India, theres always a second way...
LOL

I regurarly send goods to India, they all get taxed approx 100%. I sent a package declared at £200 value, it was taxed for 18000 rupees, approx £220 :eek: .

Its a joke, they charge for everything, inc a fee for storing the package while its in customs!

With cars, its a straight 100% fee. You can drive it over but you will be required to show papers to register the car there. Its not as easy as it once used to be, and the bribes aren't cheap anymore!

5 years ago i used to pay the equivalent to £1 to bribe the police when i got pulled over. Nowadays its more like £15+!

Damn KLP, sure isnt cheap anymore... I may have to rethink that one then...

1998 did you say?

You may want to check new laws... I know Pakistan have changed their guidlines... Now the car has to be less than 3 years old!! (I know different country) but they have similar tax charges...

Really... hmm, i really do need to do more research!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom