exporting a scooter to france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bieny

Car
1993 320ce
My parents have a property in France and my wife and I often use it for holidays, normally we fly to spain and hire a car.
The problem is during peak season the traffic is very bad and we found renting a scooter to be much easier but very expensive.
So i'm thinking about getting a scooter here and leaving it down there to use while on holiday, but if it was UK registered I think would have to bring it back every year for an mot? So does anyone know how difficult it would be to register the scooter in France and get a carte gris for it, also what are the running costs for something like a 50cc, insurance, tax, mot?
Any help much appreciated!

Buy one there. You can get them in the supermarket for €1k

Edit: a 50cc will cost less than that, and you don't need a license for it.

Last edited:
Does a scooter need an MOT in France? Not sure it does. They dont even need number plates in france IIRC.

I think the problem you'll find is insuring the moped abroad long term unless its registered at the french address.

All scooters (50cc or less) built since Jan 2004 need to be registered. Any built before that have until 30/06/09 to get registered. They don't require CT (MOT), but they do need to be insured.

So you wouldnt need to bring it back to the UK for an MOT every year... as long as you could get insurance.

Insurance is the stumbling block.

So once I have registered it all I need is insurance? No mot or tax on a 50cc scooter in France?
There are some scooters lying around at work so ill will try and get one going, will I need a uk log book to get a french one, or can I just apply for a new one in france?

You have two choices:

Choice 1:

Obtain a Certificate of Conformity from the scooter's manufacturer.
Take that and the UK V5 to the Centre d'Impots to get a Quitus Fiscal
Take that to the Prefecture to get a Carte Grise (registration document) in exchange for 90-odd Euro
Send the 'Notification of Permanent Export" section of the V5 to DVLA Swansea
Go to supermarket and buy new registration plates.

Choice 2

Buy a scooter from a French shop or dealer for 7-800 Euro.

Last edited:
Ok choice 1 seems like the cheapest option, depending on the price of the scooter here and if has a log book.
How long would the process take? If I took it down this summer on uk plates could I use it for the holiday (I have no uk bike licence) and then sort out the rest from the uk by post?

I know what i'd do...

Another thought what are the rules for gopeds in France? Its 40cc but illegal for uk roads.

The stories of people who have tried this and got the smallest detail wrong and end up with a nightmare, are legion. Go to the supermarché.
Friend of mine in Germany just bought a nice 2CV for 300 Euro from a guy who had tried to take it back to France and was overwhelmed by the bureaucracy. He gave up and my pal happened to be in town with no interest in buying a 2CV when the guy said make me an offer and take it away. He did.

Ok choice 1 seems like the cheapest option, depending on the price of the scooter here and if has a log book.
How long would the process take? If I took it down this summer on uk plates could I use it for the holiday (I have no uk bike licence) and then sort out the rest from the uk by post?

Getting registered is certainly doable in a day, as long as you like standing in lines...

Are you sure it would be cheaper though? How will you get it from here to there?

Another thought what are the rules for gopeds in France? Its 40cc but illegal for uk roads.

No idea. But if you're thinking of a Go-Ped, then you're getting close to being better off with a bicycle or shanks's pony

Getting registered is certainly doable in a day, as long as you like standing in lines...

Are you sure it would be cheaper though? How will you get it from here to there?

And are you a fluent French speaker?

You also need a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer. That could take any amount of time to obtain (although it shouldn't take months).

I am mega impressed at the excellent, informative posts that have been submitted by imadoofus and it looks like an amazing amount of hassle to import a UK thingie..

Plus it would be RHD :) (joke)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom