Exporting SLK to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeithB

Car
slk320
Well it was all going smoothly. Headlights changed, tax form done, then came the Certificate of Conformity. Plenty of sites on the internet to obtain a CofC in less than a week. Paid my 148 Euros, the order was processed, received an email telling me that it will arrive in the next few days. Sorted........

I then receive an email telling me that because of the type of car the price is now 275 Euros. No way. What a con. Its only a piece of paper.

I know some of you have already exported cars to France. Where did you get your CofC from and how much.

Thanks in advance.

I would have thought that the safest way to get a CoC would be from Mercedes. I believe you have to pay for it, but at least they should know what they're doing.

Have you looked into all this carefully ? As far as I know, the CoC won't allow you to register your vehicle since it would still be classed as a 'British RHD'.

Don't you have to have it passed 'aux Mines' to prove that all necessary modifications have been made ?

PS where did you order the CoC from ?

Hi Tode. Getting the CofC from Mercedes was my original plan but the online option was quicker. The company is Certifauto. I have already registered a Ford van and two honda motorcycles with no problems. The Cof C for the hondas took months to arrive. For the Ford only a week so it does vary with manufacturers. I will have to try Mercedes to see what they can do and get a refund from Certifauto.....that should be fun.

I brought our car over from UK in 2011, but it was new, so I had no problem about getting the CoC.

If you go on the Mercedes site, they'll tell you how to do it. According to them, it's 100€ (to be paid by cheque).

You'll find it here : MERCEDES HOMOLOGATIONS

Don't know how good your French is - but if you need any help, let me know.

PS you're in a nice part of the country - we stayed in Pont Aven not long ago. :thumb:

Just copied the address below from my CofC request from the last time I did a French reregistration. I also needed the car examined by a MB concessionnaire and a note producing by them stating the car currently conformed to French normes (wasn't necessary the time before , 2003). The CT should do this, but you can't have too much paper in France.............

Mercedes-Benz France
Service Homologations VP
BP 100
Le Chesnay
Cedex 8 novembre 2011

Just copied the address below from my CofC request from the last time I did a French reregistration. I also needed the car examined by a MB concessionnaire and a note producing by them stating the car currently conformed to French normes (wasn't necessary the time before , 2003). The CT should do this, but you can't have too much paper in France.............

Mercedes-Benz France
Service Homologations VP
BP 100
Le Chesnay
Cedex 8 novembre 2011

That's true :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help guys. We phoned Mercedes this morning and yes 100 euro is the cost. The guy from Mercedes was very helpfull and had previous dealings with these online sharks. At first they refused to give us a refund but when we involved the legal department from our insurance company (Pacifica - they are excellent) things were sorted.

Thanks again and if you are in our area give us a shout.

Last edited:
SLK C of C

I was very lucky as there was one included with the handbook and documents!

Brought the car in Birmingham (LHD)

Drove to ferry

Drove home

Got CT done, drove to Prefecture and got it registered, stopped off to buy French plates.

All done & dusted in a couple of days!

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom