Extended warranty - 2017 E class saloon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joebaxi1

Car
ml 350 AMG Bluetech 2013
Hi all

Uk related question I imagine for this one

Ok , looking at some E Class saloon SE or AMG maybe on 2017 or maybe 2018 plate - max 30 k mileage

Lot of discussions historically about warranty and "not worth the paper its written on"

Can any one give me some pointers on what I should be looking for in extended warranty , I see approved used from Mercedes branches always give 12 months so I presume that would be the type of cover I would be looking for.

Thoughts ?

If you expect major engine and gearbox failure then cover your ****nal. And take a warranty , what can go wrong ?

Approved used is the best warranty in my opinion. If you buy from another dealer then check any warranty documents.

Approved used warranty is not provided by Mercedes.
I've certainly not had the greatest experience, if any, with my 'approved amg warranty' but on reflection it seems as if this is how MBUK / dealerships roll.
Having said that, enough owners on the board hold the dealerships in reverence but I feel the majority of these have bought new.
Save your money, buy private and find a good independent.

Hi all

many thanks for the feedback , it is much a appreciated by a non petrol head in any way shape or form.

I am now in a slightly different position as I now see lots of 2019 e 200 d saloons SE or AMG style for 25 k with only 10000 miles.

Would I be right in thinking that these cars have only been taken out on a 10000 mile lease and given back ?

also if I commit to paying 25k for a 10 k mileage is there any way I can check to ensure that the car has had no problems I.e. can I check it hasn’t been a lemon 🍋

thanks for your feedback in advance

Paul

Hi all

many thanks for the feedback , it is much a appreciated by a non petrol head in any way shape or form.

I am now in a slightly different position as I now see lots of 2019 e 200 d saloons SE or AMG style for 25 k with only 10000 miles.

Would I be right in thinking that these cars have only been taken out on a 10000 mile lease and given back ?

also if I commit to paying 25k for a 10 k mileage is there any way I can check to ensure that the car has had no problems I.e. can I check it hasn’t been a lemon 🍋

thanks for your feedback in advance

Paul
It could be a car with a 10,000 mile limit on a PCP or lease, but it’s more likely to be a Mercedes-Benz UK company car, or a heavily discounted car on the employee discount scheme, or maybe a hire car.

Unlikely to be a lemon. if you have a good relationship with a main dealer then you could ask them to check the history of the car which includes servicing and repairs performed by dealers, including warranty.

The difficulty I think is that dealers tend to be very tight-lipped regarding warranty repairs, my experience is that even when you're the car's owner you really have to claw information out of them and in any event they won't provide anything in writing regarding warranty repairs.

There's no reason to think that a 10k mikes car was a lemon, but there's no way of knowing it for fact either.

Go by condition, and check for evidence of hard use. Heavily grooved and uneven discs at 10K miles would be a concern. Four different makes of budget tyres with different wear levels would be a concern. Uneven shutlines and panel gaps would be a concern. Etc.

However, if in spite of the above you still end-up buying a lemon, your fall back option would be the Approved Used 30-day no-questions-asked replacement guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom