Extended Warranty Price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tramper

Car
E Class
Hi,
My E Class approved used warranty ends on the 18th February. I rang today and got a quote of £499.00 for the year, or £48 per month on a rolling contract.
I was under the impression that there were different tiers of cover, but was not offered any different levels of cover, he just said my key insurance would no longer be valid. My car has 38,000 mls on the clock and is now 4 yrs old and had its mot today with no advisories, I’ve got a current service plan for another two years it’s just had a B service.
I suppose there is no right or wrong answer whether or not I go ahead and purchase it or not, bit like pet insurance really glad you got it if you need it, or take a gamble (which could prove to be an expensive mistake)
I suppose I need to read the terms and conditions of the policy, does anyone know if this warranty is run by MB or a third party insurer?

Decisions, decisions

That seems more reasonable than when they offered different tiers. Last quote I got for the S212 250d was near £700. I haven’t bothered for the last 3 years as the two problems I had, when covered by the 2 year Tire 1 warranty I got with the car, weren’t covered. The cost to put those 2 problems right was around £400. I would have a good read of what’s not included and weigh up if it’s worth it.

I paid £499 last year for a years Mercedes warranty on my 2016 E350 S212.

It seems reasonable and the exclusions are normal which you would get on most warranties.

It’s due for renewal in April but so far had no need to use it.

£499 would not buy much in way of repairs even from an independent so I guess it’s a risk assessment you have to make.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I had my BMW I took out their warranty.

I was extremely glad I did as three weeks later the front O/S suspension spring collapsed, they arranged for the car to be collected and taken to my preferred BMW dealer and then supplied a like for like courtesy car from Enterprise until mine was repaired.

All in the warranty cost less than the total price of repairs and courtesy car.

When I got my 4 year old approved CLS in 2012 many said an extended warranty would be a good idea. Was about £800 annually at the time.

Decided to take the risk and over the last 8 years a couple of window regulators, some parking sensors and 4 springs have been the only non routine costs. Springs prob wouldn’t have been covered by warranty anyway. So that’s probably many £1000s saved in unnecessary warranty costs.

When I got my 4 year old approved CLS in 2012 many said an extended warranty would be a good idea. Was about £800 annually at the time.

Decided to take the risk and over the last 8 years a couple of window regulators, some parking sensors and 4 springs have been the only non routine costs. Springs prob wouldn’t have been covered by warranty anyway. So that’s probably many £1000s saved in unnecessary warranty costs.

OP, you drive less than 10K miles a year, you do not say what E class you drive , an E63 or a E220 'Hamburg Taxi' . If the latter does the warranty cover EGR/Def issues that might pop up in the future ? You have a service plan and I agree with you the whole warranty thing is a bit like pet insurance - which some advisors think is useless - which can be very selective in what they will pay out for.

Personally I would put the £50 a month away elsewhere and go with the flow...unless the warranty plan is too good to miss. Ie: it covers almost everything. Your Call, a tough one i know.

All in the warranty cost less than the total price of repairs and courtesy car.

When I had a front spring collapse on my W211 the car was recovered to my my favoured independent by Green Flag and the replacement cost (both springs done) was considerably less than a warranty.

So the value of these things depends on your demands / expectations. We've taken the view that with a 'regular' BMW or MB models then extended warranties usually don't reperesent good value. But then we have two decent independents that we prefer to take our cars to rather than the dealers for servicing and repairs. If a courtesy car was important or if we didn't trust and prefer the independents then the cost / benefit of the warranty woud perhaps change in its favour.

Don’t MB offer free MoT insurance, against things like broken springs, if the car is main dealer serviced?

When you buy a warranty (or insurance) you pay for peace of mind.

These financial products can't be expected to be 'good value' in the sense that you claim for more than you paid-in, because if they were, for everyone, then the companies selling them would be out of business, fast.

So if you are worried about the possibility of a large unexpected repair bill, and the warranty that you bought puts your mind at ease, then that's good value. Regardless of whether you actually make a claim or not.

Last edited:
I would guess that the majority of people never make a claim which helps cover any pay outs.

I paid well below £300 - think it was £229, but not 100% sure - in December for my WMS insurance-backed 5 star extended warranty. Car is 2011 Volvo, on 49000 miles.

Unlimited number of claims, but £1000 limit per claim. I think I bought a Friday afternoon car, so the insurers are out of pocket by quite a lot, with the number of claims I’ve made!

Would I recommend it? Definitely a yes from me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom