Extended Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xant14

Car
ROVER 75, 2015 CLS350 Shooting Pigeons
My car is 2 years 11 months old, and am looking to purchase extended warranty with Mercedes.
As my car is in for a repair at the moment, 2015 CLS 350 D, I would like to be covered for any eventualities.
I did ask the guy who is repairing my car about this and he said we can discuss aftermarket policies when I come in. I said I would like the proper Mercedes cover and was told these are 'Mercedes approved policies'. Is this right?
I know I can buy warranties from anywhere, but would like one where I am not worried about T&C's clauses etc.
Can anyone shed light on this please?
Rob

My S205 has just past the 3 year period, so I've taken out the MB Tier 1 warranty, which is an insurance backed product operated by Mercedes-Benz Warranty Services. According to their paperwork, this is a trading name of AWP Assistance UK Ltd and is a MB Approved Used Warranty.

Looking through the policy before I chose it, it does seem to offer quite comprehensive cover, but the proof of the pudding.....? It was also quite reasonable at £546 for the year (no excess), whereas "other leading providers" were quoting over £1200 for just about the same cover.

I did follow a tip on this forum, which was to ring the Warranty sales helpline, whose quote was almost £300 less than their online quoting tool for some strange reason.

Sure, you could pocket the cash and hope you don't need any repairs but for me anyway, this seemed to offer peace of mind for not to big a cost?

Phil

My S205 has just past the 3 year period, so I've taken out the MB Tier 1 warranty, which is an insurance backed product operated by Mercedes-Benz Warranty Services. According to their paperwork, this is a trading name of AWP Assistance UK Ltd and is a MB Approved Used Warranty.

Looking through the policy before I chose it, it does seem to offer quite comprehensive cover, but the proof of the pudding.....? It was also quite reasonable at £546 for the year (no excess), whereas "other leading providers" were quoting over £1200 for just about the same cover.

I did follow a tip on this forum, which was to ring the Warranty sales helpline, whose quote was almost £300 less than their online quoting tool for some strange reason.

Sure, you could pocket the cash and hope you don't need any repairs but for me anyway, this seemed to offer peace of mind for not to big a cost?

Phil
Given my recent experience, an MB Tier 1 is a no-brainer, especially if the car is still in Warranty and less than 60kmiles. Mine needed its Nox sensors replaced at 26k miles and 7 weeks out of warranty at a cost (potentially, to me) of around £1200. OK, they might have made a good-will contribution, as it was a known problem, but it was a seamless process as MB Grangemouth had the parts in stock.

Ernie

Had this on my CL600 bi turbo over three years. £1000 per year. Had more than my fees worth. They will/did, cover up to 10 years old and 100k miles.

The battery failed on my E350Cdi cab. last week and that was covered on my Tier 1 (no excess) warranty.
The MB technician came out within an hour, and changed the battery in my garage. About £200 to buy he told me.
Unusual for a warranty to include battery failure I thought, especially when the car is well over 6 years old.

Ive taken out Tier 1, just over £1k with an excess of £250. Of course hope never to use it but...

I took it one out on my w203 c class and I am glad I did as I had rear struts and suspension needing replacing
And had a new head rest replaced amongst a few more items
And yes I got my money’s worth for sure
I have a new w205 and who knows I may keep it and if I do then I will take out the T1 warranty

If you can afford to pay out then don’t take it [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just wondering, what’s the average repair costs these days?
MB tier 1 is £1050 for my car & then an excess of £250. So £1300 for the year if you end up making a claim, surely unless your really unlucky & have something drastically go wrong then most repair bills will be cheaper or around the same price as the extended warranty? Also If you have a trouble free year it’s cost nothing. My warranty ran out in November, have no cover at the minute but unless a major repair was needed I think I would be taking it to a local trusted garage instead of MB for double the price.

My CLS has been in the garage for 1.5 weeks with an *un-diagnosal problem, 3 weeks left of my original warranty.. hopefully if it goes beyond the three year date they will still get it right!

I did ask the guy who is repairing my car about this and he said we can discuss aftermarket policies when I come in. I said I would like the proper Mercedes cover and was told these are 'Mercedes approved policies'. Is this right?

He will sell you an MB approved warranty, but remember that he will add his mark up to the cost. He won't sell you something that he cannot profit from. The best thing to do is to visit the MB warranty website and get their quotes for Tier 1 and 2 and then see how he does compared to buying the policy direct.

In my case, Listers were going to charge me £1,000 for a policy that I could buy direct for £500. Their excuse was that they have overheads that they need to cover, but this doesn't justify a 100% price hike. The additional £500 would have been the business managers' commission for selling me the cover.

So, be aware, and shop around, and don't take the first price you are offered when buying from a reseller or agent, as they profit directly from your wallet.

Phil

Just an update:

Just before the 3 year warranty was up, I had the 3 year service done and mentioned that the stop/start did not appear to be working. They checked it out and said that as I did a majority of local mileage, plus cold weather (end of November), it would only come on if I was doing long runs - fair enough I thought.

Roll forward to last week and it had only started working on the odd occasion, and doing a 20 min blast up the dual carriageway didn't seem to make any difference. When it was in for the airbag deployment recall last week, I asked them to check it and they said "the stop/start battery has failed its test".

I asked if this was covered on my MB extended warranty and the lady said it wasn't (batteries aren't covered)! I pointed out that the car was only just (Dec) out of original warranty and only done 22K miles. Still not covered! Asked for a price and 2 days later, came back with £340-odd inc fitting!

During those 2 days, I'd read up about the stop/start "battery" not being an actual battery but actually some form of capacitor/electronic module (not sure if this is true?). I had also ready my Tier 1 warranty booklet, which indicated batteries are covered (wasn't in any "what's not covered" items).

When I pointed this out, the same lady went off to check with the "warranty manager" and suddenly, it was covered! Had it done this week and all done. I wonder how many folk have not bothered to query and therefore paid up?

So, I have at least justified some of the outlay on a warranty and have 6 months still to go.

Happy days.

I used to stress about my Mercedes going wrong. I had a dealer warranty direct warranty which was invaluable. A lot went wrong.
In the end I sold it for a Honda which hasn’t had anything gone wrong in 4 years. Despite feeling a lot more confident in Honda than I do in Mercedes build quality I still took out their warranties which are £240 a year...ended up being a total waste of money.

has anyone had a C300h Sport extended warranty approx cost 99500 on the clock merc history

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom