Extended warranty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colin626, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Colin626

Colin626 Active Member

Car:
    2012 CLS 350 AMG Sports
    Hi Guys
    Looking for an extended warranty any suggestions of a good one
    Cheers Colin

2. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Watching with interest. Ours is coming towards the end of its factory warranty and we need to decide what we do next.
    I got a quote from Motoreasy (£600/yr), but a number of comments I've read online don't give much by way of confidence in their response when the brown smelly stuff hits the round whirly thing.

Rorywquin likes this.
  3. slade1

slade1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK Ponton
    Pay your premiums into a savings account with overdraft facility, if nothing goes wrong you have the money.

GeeJayW likes this.
  4. PaulXC

PaulXC Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2017 VW Polo 1.2Tsi
    My 2012 E500 has an Tier 1 Mercedes extended warranty. After the end of the original warranty period they 'cut' the cost to about £650 / yr. I think the full MB quote was about £950.

GeeJayW likes this.
  5. RonFleet

RonFleet Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200
    I've just been quoted £449 by Mercedes to extend the warranty on my three year old C200. It covers all non-consumables...apparently. M-B has changed its warranties and has rolled them into one, according to the chaps I've spoken to. However, I'm still trying to get something in writing that describes what's covered.

PaulXC and GeeJayW like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Colin626

Colin626 Active Member

Car:
    2012 CLS 350 AMG Sports
    Thanks guys, seems a lot of people don’t think there is value for money in extended warranties
    I’ll put savings account to one side just for the car.
    Thanks again
    Colin

7. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    It is really insurance - you might have a major repair and be happy you took the policy or have nothing go wrong and regret the policy.

Risk averse (transfer it to the insurer at a price) or risk taker (keep your money in the bank)?

8. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Correct.... it's all about financial risk and how to mitigate it.

When buying insurance of any type, the product you pay for is 'peace of mind'....

Many people ask about extended warranties "is it worth it?"

And by this they mean to ask if the premium cost will be less than the pay-out on repairs.

If this is the criteria, then the answer is overwhelmingly not - no, it's not worth it, not in this sense anyway, because if it was, the insurer would have gone out of business a long time ago.

A more extreme example is my life insurance - which stops me from worrying about how my family will manage in the event of my death. So for me it's good value, although I hope that the insurer will never have to pay-out on this policy....

Personally, I have only ever took out extended warranty on new/expensive cars, but at the time new cars came with only one year manufacturer warranty, not three.

My logic is that the maximum amount I can 'lose' on a fault in a car, is its book value - i.e. if the reapir cost is more than the car is worth, I'll scrap the car.

Based on this reasoning, on a new/expensive car this cost can be signifacnt, meaning my exposure is high, and I have something to worry about, so I would gladly pay to get that particular worry off my mind.

But once the car depreciates, the maximum amount I could 'lose' on it gets smaller and smaller, so my exposure is low, and I am not really worried, which makes buying insurance less worthwhile in terms of the relief it provides me.

And ultimately I would be happy if I paid for extended warranty and my car proved reliable and did not need any repairs during the period.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    GeeJayW likes this.
  9. Istbclass

Istbclass Active Member

Car:
    B200 DCT
    New car repairs scare me, it is easy to get a bill into the £1000,s if you get something major go like a gearbox or even a clutch. I would pay £449 for the peace of mind. Of course you could always buy a Kia and get seven years warranty for nowt.

GeeJayW likes this.
  10. Rorywquin

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    That is where I am....my car is now 2 years old and in a year, I will more than likely buy "peace of mind".....but, I am doing a lot less miles than I expected to, so may reconsider when the time comes.

GeeJayW likes this.
  11. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    My other car is a Kia...

GeeJayW likes this.
  12. Rorywquin

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    I always hated having to buy life insurance - the only way to benefit from it was by dying. It was a happy day (when my family was grown and I was self sufficient enough that my wife will be taken care of when I kick the bucket) to cancel life insurance.

markjay likes this.
  13. Delderek

Delderek Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C class w205
    Just had the same quote for my c200. The price seems reasonable, but here is a list of exclusions:
    Items specifically excluded are as follows:

• Air cleaners;
    • Any seal, gasket or sealant;
    • Auxiliary belts;
    • Batteries - non HV and auxiliary batteries;
    • Bonnet, boot and fuel flap release cables;
    • Brake friction material and discs/drums;
    • Brake pipes and brake hoses;
    • Clutch assemblies/clutch fork/release
    bearings/pressure plate/carrier plate;
    • Clutch master cylinder/clutch slave cylinder;
    • Core plugs;
    • Distributor caps;
    • Drive shaft and steering rack gaiters;
    • Electrical connection blocks, terminals and
    fuses;
    • Exhaust system, muffler, heat shields and
    exhaust pipes;
    • Fuel filters;
    • Gearbox, axle and drive line mountings;
    • Handbrake/parking brake cables;
    • Hinges (all);
    • Hoses/pipes (non-metal), hose clips and
    connectors (excluding coolant hoses);
    • HT leads;
    • Light bulbs and LED bulbs (except Xenon Bulbs);
    • Navigation CDs, DVDs and SD cards;
    • Oil filters and gaskets;
    • PAS high pressure hose/pipes;
    • Pollen/odour filters;
    • Reprogramming or software updates (unless
    required as part of a replacement part repair or
    remedies the complaint/fault. Maximum 1 hour);
    • Shock absorbers and suspension struts;
    • Spark plugs;
    • Sunroof cables, convertible cables, convertible
    roof material and straps;
    • Tyres;
    • Wheels;
    • Wiper blades;
    • Wiring and wiring looms.

The one I have highlighted worries me, what if you blow a head gasket,

Plus this other exclusion at the end:

Any failure attributable to the effects of overheating
    is not regarded as a mechanical failure under the
    terms of this insurance.

So if you blow a head gasket and cook the engine you're not covered. Or am I being over sceptical.

Any opinions?

GeeJayW likes this.
  14. Abcan

Abcan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 250CDI 2012

My experience of the Tier one warranty I had when I bought my car, from the dealer, is that it’s poor. First problem I had was sinking rear suspension (S212) it was found to be a split pipe. It was not covered as non-metallic pipes were excluded. Second was a seized cabin fan motor, which in turn blew the speed regulator. This wasn’t covered as it was due to water ingress! Both times I took the car to the local indie and got them both fixed for less than the price of one years extended warranty. Might be ok if something went wrong that was actually covered but as you can see the exclusion are numerous.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    GeeJayW likes this.
  15. Istbclass

Istbclass Active Member

Car:
    B200 DCT
    That doesn’t seem to be much of a warranty, I thought being a merc warranty it would be the best (the best or nothing) seems nothing would be better. How does this compare with a reputable 3rd party warranty for similar money.

16. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    Using a main dealer encourages one to buy a manufacturer warranty because of the inflated hourly rates and parts prices - not to mention they repair nothing and replace everything.

If you find a recommended inde and go it alone, you should find your repair and parts bills drop dramatically because they repair what they can, charge less hourly and often get a discount on genuine parts (although check because indes aren't always cheaper).

So then if you save the money on a warranty instead, it goes a lot further this way... unless you are very unlucky.