Extended Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuffolkSifter

Car
ML350
The ML I am collecting comes with a 3 year warranty. Has anyone bought an extended warranty to make it a 6 or 9 month warranty?

Are they worth it?

Who does the best warranty?

What do they cover?

The ML I am collecting comes with a 3 year warranty. Has anyone bought an extended warranty to make it a 6 or 9 month warranty?

Are they worth it?

Who does the best warranty?

What do they cover?

do you mean you ML will have the 3 year factory warranty?
If so, you can continue the warranty with mb after the 3 years.
Tier 1 will give you the most cover.
It’s comprehensive and covers a lot of stuff.
It’s worth it for peace of mind if you can afford it.
I don’t have experience with other warranty companies, so can’t help there.

I would guess it's a mistake and the OP means a 3 month warranty rather than 3 year.

Sorry guys, I am buying second hand and it comes with three months warranty, thinking of extending it...

Have a good look at the small print. I'm afraid aftermarket warranties, especially those issued by independant garages tend not to be worth the paper they are written on.

Yes, I don't bother personally.

If I buy from a main dealer I get a 1 year warranty.

You normally know if you bought a lemon in that time.

I then self-insure against failure by keeping a slush fund - pay the money you would have spent on a warranty into that as well as a bit more for a while.

You can of course be very unlucky but I think with modern Mercs, and certainly the higher order, they are much better built than they were 1994 > 2006 in the Scrimp era.

Regular and timely maintenance / fixing of problems tends to help in avoiding big bills.

Last thing I want is to contact a 3rd party and be told everything isn't covered due to wear and tear - and having to pay for the repair as well as the sodding warranty in the first place.

They might not all be that bad but I don't want to find out the hard way the company I used, is!

I’ve extended my warranty each year. Is it worth it, some years yes, others no, but it’s just some piece of mind.

It also depends on your car's value.

If you do not buy a warranty, you are in fact self-insured with your liability capped at the value of you car (on the premise that if the repair cost is higher than what the car is worth, you have the option of scrapping the car and buying another for that amount).

So as the car gets older, warranties offer less value.

Obviously not a consideration that affects a 3 years old C63, but it does affect a 7 years old C180 (like the one I have).

Yes, I don't bother personally.

If I buy from a main dealer I get a 1 year warranty.

You normally know if you bought a lemon in that time.

I then self-insure against failure by keeping a slush fund - pay the money you would have spent on a warranty into that as well as a bit more for a while.

You can of course be very unlucky but I think with modern Mercs, and certainly the higher order, they are much better built than they were 1994 > 2006 in the Scrimp era.

Regular and timely maintenance / fixing of problems tends to help in avoiding big bills.

Last thing I want is to contact a 3rd party and be told everything isn't covered due to wear and tear - and having to pay for the repair as well as the sodding warranty in the first place.

They might not all be that bad but I don't want to find out the hard way the company I used, is!
Useful info as I am in a similar position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom