Extended Warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonyeng

Hi all
I have an SL500 with 20,500 miles which is just coming up to 3years old and therefore the manufactures' warranty is just about to expire. I do about 6,000 miles a year.
I was thinking about buying an extended warranty. Mercedes of Brighton have quoted me £1459.00 incl VAT for a tier1. Not sure how extensive there warranty is. Someone else suggested WarrantyDirect which is about half the price.
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Tony

Welcome to the forum.

Tier 1 is the MB warranty, and is pretty much the same in all but name as the manufacturers warranty you have now, and approved used warranty supplied by an MB dealer.

It's very comprehensive. I'd be shocked if a repair you experienced was not covered.

If you decide not to get a warranty, and you experience a problem whilst it's fairly new, don't just pay up. If you complain to MB Customer Services (not just the dealer) then they may meet the whole or part of the cost.

Exstended warrenty can be a good idea, as its always the way, something happens when ya just don't have it!

Get the MB warranty. I have Service Plus..just had a £2000 repair..all covered thank god.

I used to wince at the monthly cost for my C180K (£65 per month!!! Peanuts). But in the 2 years I have had Service Plus I have claimed about £2850 in total.

But read the small print. Some terms are ambiguous like 'wear and tear is covered' but some folk cannot claim for a packed up air con compressor, or so I have heard.

Warranties

Out of interest, what's to stop someone from waiting until something goes wrong before taking out the warranty and using it to get the problems sorted?.. I figure there might be a minimum time after taking the policy within which no claims can be made or something?

Thanks

G

I was in the same boat with the CLS55 but after a nudge nudge moment from the dealer decided not to get a warranty in its 4th year as its low miles and fully serviced at MB and as such anything major would more than likely get a goodwill gesture. I had the car fully over checked a week before the warranty ran out as well

Service + is no longer, cost MB to much.

Out of interest, what's to stop someone from waiting until something goes wrong before taking out the warranty and using it to get the problems sorted?.. I figure there might be a minimum time after taking the policy within which no claims can be made or something?

Thanks

G

If you take out the Mercedes warranty after one month after your manufacturers warranty runs out then you have to PAY for the dealer to inspect your car before MB will issue their warranty.

Also - we all complain when we feel we have been had by the manufacturer - therefore it is only fair you don't try to have one over on them too...

I've just been quoted £789 for another year's Tier 1 warranty. When the Tippex Tracy on the other end of the phone read out the list of 'Normal service replacement items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement that are excluded', this included 'Sunroof cables, convertible roofs and straps' - a significant change from last year which just referred to 'sunroof cables'.

My view is that the vario roof fitted to the SL and SLK is a 'factory fitted mechanical part' and not something 'subject to normal service replacement, routine maintenance or periodic repair' - which I queried.

This wasn't in her script, so I was transferred to some Kevin-in-a-suit who alleged that no, SL and SLK roof mechanisms are not covered under this expensive policy....

My dealer disagrees with 'Kevin-in-a-suit' and his interpretation - does anyone else have any experience of this topic?

Insurance companies invariably want to weasel out if they can find a way, but surely a reputable company such as Mercedes should have sufficient faith in the vario roof to include it in their extended warranty cover? Particularly as the vario roof is such a major part of the SL and SLK.

I've just been quoted £789 for another year's Tier 1 warranty. When the Tippex Tracy on the other end of the phone read out the list of 'Normal service replacement items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement that are excluded', this included 'Sunroof cables, convertible roofs and straps' - a significant change from last year which just referred to 'sunroof cables'.

My view is that the vario roof fitted to the SL and SLK is a 'factory fitted mechanical part' and not something 'subject to normal service replacement, routine maintenance or periodic repair' - which I queried.

This wasn't in her script, so I was transferred to some Kevin-in-a-suit who alleged that no, SL and SLK roof mechanisms are not covered under this expensive policy....

My dealer disagrees with 'Kevin-in-a-suit' and his interpretation - does anyone else have any experience of this topic?

Insurance companies invariably want to weasel out if they can find a way, but surely a reputable company such as Mercedes should have sufficient faith in the vario roof to include it in their extended warranty cover? Particularly as the vario roof is such a major part of the SL and SLK.

Hello.

I have a Tier One extended warranty, (1st year), on my R171 SLK. I will check the exact small print tonight and report back but I'm prepared to bet that there will be changes, (worsening!), made to the "latest" policy when my renewal is due:rolleyes:.

Portzy.

That just lowers the MB brand by yet another notch IMHO.

They just want you to buy a new one.

I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer's warranty expert after she's had a chat with the Tier 1 people....

If they still don't accept that SL and SLK vario roofs are covered under Tier 1, then I will seek arbitration.

There's nothing wrong with my vario roof - but I do want it to be covered under the Tier 1 warranty. In the 'Insurance Owner's Handbook', it states that there are certain qualities of Mercedes-Benz vehicles which owners are entitled to expect:

'Certain things you are entitled to expect from a Mercedes-Benz, regardless of its age. Ingenious engineering, unrivalled build quality, style, safety and reliability '.

And that must surely include the SL and SLK vario roof system - if not, then why not?

Last edited:
The dealer's warranty expert received the same initial brush-off which I had. So I escalated the matter to the Quality Standards Team Leader......

Today I had a satisfactory conclusion to my dispute. I received a letter stating:

In view of your concerns I have spoken with the National Account Manager and can confirm that the mechanical and electrical components of the roof are covered under the policy. These would be specifically those components that carry out a mechanical or electrical function and would exclude therefore items such as (but not limited to) bodywork, trim, glass, convertible roof material and straps, (where the roof is not metal folding), fixings, fastenings, hinges and roof seals.

Sometimes it IS worth kicking up a fuss, it seems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom