Extending a 13 amp mains lead.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
People

In my garage I have a 50ltr - JCB Electric Compressor - 13 amp. The mains lead is about 1.5 meters long, or 1.5 meter shorter than it needs to be, to avoid me continually using an extension lead.

Extension leads are designed to be tripped over when using the angel grinder. Not funny if you then save yourself from damage by grabbing hold of the wife.

What is the best to safely extend this please? Is it as simple as sticking a "3 pin - in line connector" or am I missing something silly here.

Burning down my garage is not high on my list of things to do this year. It rates alongside: Electrocuting myself in the garage, when switching on the compressor and other fun things to do in the garage.

You're best buying a suitable length of flex from somewhere like Maplin, and opening up the switch/control box on the compressor and fitting the new cable into there. Put plug on other end. Far better than any junction box or joint.

You're best buying a suitable length of flex from somewhere like Maplin, and opening up the switch/control box on the compressor and fitting the new cable into there. Put plug on other end. Far better than any junction box or joint.

That is indeed the elegant way to do it. However the opening the switch control box on a compressor by an unauthorised person may have safety / guarantee issues in the event of any problems down the line . For that reason I would favour a suitably rated permanent inline connector. :dk:

Either or, based on warranty and competence. If the warrenty isn't an issue, then I'd argue if you're competent enough to be adding an inline connector safely, then opening up a box to connect in new flex shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If it is, you should probably leave the inline connector to someone else too.

Get an electrician in and install a new 13amp socket, you can never have too many sockets in a garage.:D

I like your thinking here. I am competent (if not incontinent) so this is within my abilities.

GROBER makes a very valid point (as always) but I think it is worth the risk to any future warranty claim. This does give the most elegant solution.

Get an electrician in and install a new 13amp socket, you can never have too many sockets in a garage.:D

There is a rule that comes into play, as with any room in the house:

No matter where the socket is? It will always be - just - out of reach of the appliance.

Also:

The more sockets you have? The greater the amount of plugs that will appear to fill the sockets.

When I built my garage I had five double sockets installed in strategic positions for working on cars, i.e. Compressor, grinders, welders, hand lamps etc. At no time during the design process was I informed that I would also need sockets for ....

Tumble drier
Fridge
Freezer
Shredder
Music system
Garden water feature.
At Christmas there are no spares.

Poor planning on my part.

When I built my 6 foot reef tank, I installed 8 double sockets, given me 16 in total. I still ran out and had 4 way extension connected! :confused:

I used an inline connector like that to fix a mains cable after Mrs BTB cut through it with pruning shears :doh:

Cut the 13 amp plug off and fit a blue 16 amp industrial plug. Then make up a lead from a 13 amp plug to blue 16 amp connector. Best cable for this is blue "arctic" 3 core 1.5mm.

People

In my garage I have a 50ltr - JCB Electric Compressor - 13 amp. The mains lead is about 1.5 meters long, or 1.5 meter shorter than it needs to be, to avoid me continually using an extension lead.

Extension leads are designed to be tripped over when using the angel grinder. Not funny if you then save yourself from damage by grabbing hold of the wife.

What is the best to safely extend this please? Is it as simple as sticking a "3 pin - in line connector" or am I missing something silly here.

Burning down my garage is not high on my list of things to do this year. It rates alongside: Electrocuting myself in the garage, when switching on the compressor and other fun things to do in the garage.

You have been duly reported to The Archbishop of Canterbury ;)

Another solution is to extend the cable using butt connectors, staggered of course, then use a heat shrink to cover the connections.

d_connectors_solderless_pvc_parallel-butt-connector_3.png

I've done this any number of times when I've been supplied with a luminaire that has too short a cable and I am unable to get access to the box via a gland. Some LED drivers have a foam seal that doesn't allow cable removal and replacement.

The beauty of using a butt connector is that it is a compression joint so you don't need access to check on it, meaning you can cover your work with plenty of heat shrink. You will, of course, need a compression tool such as a crimper.

People

Take a spur from one of the other sockets

Folks. Thank you. I have fitted a longer lead direct to the compressor using the same crimps and new cable. All good and safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom