Extending Wifi router range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Hi All

I'd like to be able to extend the range of my wifi router to cover all of my garden.

The router is currently in a bedroom at the front of the house (where the BT point comes in) and will reach through the flat to a couple of metres into the garden.

I'd like to boost it to reach the back of the garden (about another 10-12m or so) without extension cables etc.

There seems a few options on the market for this - anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Ade

These work really well but are a bit odd to set up. Wireless to wireless so no other wiring needed but power. You need a wired connection to your computer to set up initially.

Or, if your existing wireless router supports it, change the antenna on it for a better one. Most ship with an antenna that has 3dB gain, so 9dB would increase the range enough for you to do what you want.

Wireless 2.4GHz indoor antenna

You shouldn't *really* do that, as upping the antenna gain ups the effective output power (hence the greater range). Output power is limited by law for the licence-free 2.4 GHz band used in wireless networking and you can bet the router is set to maximum at time of manufacture, so by increasing the gain it'll put it outside the legal limits. That said, the chances of getting caught are as close to nil as possible, so I say a give it a whirl if your conscience is good with it ;). I've bought a shedload of antennas from Solwise and they're fine - the 9dB one is a bit of a monster though when fitted to your average wireless router.

Cheers,

Gaz

Thanks for that.

I was going to start a similar thread.

Our house has some upstairs rooms that can't get a signal, so I'll try one of the range extenders. :thumb:

Thanks for that.

I was going to start a similar thread.

Our house has some upstairs rooms that can't get a signal, so I'll try one of the range extenders. :thumb:

I'd add I followed the instructions posted by a purchaser on Amazon as apparently these things can be a pig to set up. The general advice was don't follow the stock instructions.

It was a bit fiddly but worked..

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom