Exterior wood treatment suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
xx9o882rjg8g8e
I have a lovely oak door that is in need of some TLC. Before my time it was treated with varnish with a stain, which I hate, but it has weathered and faded. I want something to provide good weather protection, which restores the colour a bit but keeps the contrast between the bands of colour in the oak. I'm quite happy to do this myself and spend a decent amount, but please no stain in varnish suggestions, they make the wood look terrible.

oak-door-1-of-1.jpg

+1 for Osmo, friend used it on his solid oak kitchen worktops, so I've switched from Liberon to Osmo for items I make in oak and like it.

Certainly looks good - is it suitable for application to wood that has been there for some time? - it looks to be aimed at newer wood that hasn't yet lost its colour.

Osmo is great just be sure to get all of the old varnish off before applying, wire wool is good for getting to areas such as moldings that glass paper can't reach.

That's a pretty comprehensive vote for OSMO. Although I do have five litres of used engine oil lurking in the woodshed...

Another vote for Osmo.

One of our doors is well over 300 years old (Oak from the New Forest) and needed some TLC such as your Charles. Our builder used sandpaper and wire-wool to rub it down by hand before using the restoring solution and protection oil.

Stains, varnishes, oils, resins are a mine field if you are trying to achieve a particular look or result with them. Colour samples at the store mean nothing unless you use it on the same piece of prior untreated timber.

So, I went on line, found the finish on a building I was looking for, then went door to door including approaching the owners of the building looking for somebody who could advise/replicate.

Ended up on you tube and google earth approaching a wood work shop owner in Switzerland for advice on what he uses on one of his signs on the shop front, this after no reply from the Swiss Alpine Club re the Solvay Hut finish.

Worked a treat - found my product, tint and application method. With stains you can acchieve a different affect by sanding with fine grit paper while the product is still wet, maybe get yourself a piece of oak and try out some techniques/colours first and compare.

Osmo is just one of many stains out there, for something really exotic try Wattyl decking stain - oil based in Rustic Oak, should look stunning - it is ever so slightly on the orange wood scale, rather than just the brown, yellow or red wood scales. In case you want to recoat after a few years on a continous basis it should hold its colour and eventually go orange brown rather than going very dark. Quite a nice effect if you know how to work it. Watch the recoat colours over the years if you are planning a recoat, most stains go quite dark after just three or four coats - even with sanding.
Being lighter it won't cover the grain like many stains do but if you want the ultimate grain diffirentiator it has to be CD50. BUT be careful in that once you use it nothing else will stick to it. Excellent product through, absolutely bees knees, and it brings out the grain like you would not believe.

With Wattyl you can mix and match the colours to get one you are happy with, something not really encouraged with the other stain manufacturers - and they use the best feed stocks out there.

You gotta love this place!
Just about to make a shelving unit from oak and a couple of other projects and was at the stage of wondering what to coat them with when along comes this thread.
Osmo Top Oil now ordered. :)

Don't forget to pre treat them with the Osmo Wood Protector before finishing with Top Oil or Polyx Oil. For a small project it's worth an eBay search for the small sample tins rather than bigger quantities, I recently bought them to finish a 1m x 30cm solid oak floating shelf I've made for our daughter's kitchen.
Osmo Top Oil 500ml 3058 Clear Matt, 3068 Natural, 3061 Acacia, 3028 Clear Satin | eBay 125ml tester, they also do the wood protector in a 125ml tin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom