Extinction Rebelion roadrage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The countries that need to change there ways like China are not and yes we need to sort ourselves out but this country in the grand scheme of things we will matter very little to these figures.

True arithmetically - but what the developed world does today, the developing world does tomorrow. We can also make trading with us dependent upon cleaning up their act(s). Lead by example.

The logical way forward is to make the planet carbon-neutral as a minimum.

Whilst there may still be a pendulum effect of the damage which has already been done, one would hope this would stop the situation deteriorating further.

It's not even as if it is not possible.

A point never discussed - where does all the heat from inefficiencies go?
Take a car as an example. Around one third of the fuel's energy will propel the car (a proportion of which will also manifest itself as heat). Two thirds is squandered as heat (exhaust, cooling, friction). To what degree (if any) does this heat raise the atmospheric temperature?

Reactions: 219
SpoonJar said:
IAll we see if a bunch of hippies, squat dwellers, bored middle class toffs and leftie students.

Do you actually support these wallys, or do you see yourself in one of those descriptions?. Here's another one to add to the list, hypocrites.

No, I don't support the demonstrations or the demonstrators, but provided they don't disrupt traffic, I don't oppose them. Does it not occur to you that a large proportion of them, at least judging from those who have appeared in the TV news broadcasts, are not stupid and sincerely hold views which they are perfectly entitled to hold?

I see evidence of a large and very diverse chip there; that's what I see.

I do. Especially when these different views cause misery and disruption to thousands of people who are only trying to get on with their lives.

This is what 'disruption' looks like.

p073xdvj.jpg

9fc5f572-723b-4dc1-87fc-775337a89542

image.jpg

1073463463.jpg

When we are the cause of misery and disruption to thousands of people who are only trying to get on with their lives - expect protests.

In 1839 the India cyclone approx 300,000 people were killed by a storm surge of 12 metres , and the 1881 Haiphong typhoon also claimed about 300,000 lives , in 1737 the Calcutta cyclone claimed an estimated 300,000 lives, were these also down to climate change and global warming ??
I'm not denying that the world has a problem but let's not blame ourselves for all natural disasters.

Last edited:
In 1839 the India cyclone approx 300,000 people were killed by a storm surge of 12 metres , and the 1881 Haiphong typhoon also claimed about 300,000 lives , in 1737 the Calcutta cyclone claimed an estimated 300,000 lives, were these also down to climate change and global warming ??
I'm not denying that the world has a problem but let's not blame ourselves for all natural disasters.

Three events in 144 years. Possibly there were more in the period but just look at the frequency and severity of extreme weather events now. Yes they occurred before we raised the CO2 levels, but today's events are so frequent we'd do better to focus on the future than the past.

...fame?

Perhaps...but she is just a naive youngster with no more insight than others. Yet they are hanging on her every word...and if she only knew...they are patronising her. Go back to school little girl.

Why do you want her voice suppressed? Is it because you believe she is wrong and there is no climate change worth worrying about - in which case why not call for all voices saying the same to be quietened? Why not attack David Attenborough with the same vigour?
Is it because you believe she is correct in what she says but it is wrong for someone of youth to express an opinion on their future?
Is there some other reason you want her vilified?

Every credit to her for standing up and taking action in something she believes in.

Maybe it's because she's young and is a female which puts noses out of joint...

On one hand dumping crap into the oceans, digging more and more resources from the earth and not recycling what we already have, and pumping millions of ton of gases into the air clearly makes no sense, on the other the earth has cycled through climate change for millions of years with no input from us.
What the answers are I don't know, but with regard to the protesters, their right to do it is valid, where the line is drawn is not clear. For example if I want to protest against them would it be ok of me to blockade one of there houses to stop them leaving and how would they feel about that? Worth a ponder.

On the subject of plastic in the oceans, who on here or know of anyone that's actually chucked anything plastic waste related into the sea or river. Is there a country or a company that's dumping plastic waste straight into oceans and why is this not just recycled. I read china used to take most of waste plastics to recycle as they don't produce enough plastic waste themselves to sustain there plastic use, for some reason it has or will be stopped.
the UK as a country has one of the smallest carbon footprints indicating to me at least its trying.

20,000 plastic bottles are purchased worldwide every second, there just isn't enough capacity to recycle all the plastic we make, so most of it goes to landfill. Less than half of plastic is recycled, 240 billion bottles per year roughly go to landfill. Landfill unfortunately also means dump it wherever you can, often close to waterways.

20,000 plastic bottles are purchased worldwide every second, there just isn't enough capacity to recycle all the plastic we make, so most of it goes to landfill. Less than half of plastic is recycled, 240 billion bottles per year roughly go to landfill. Landfill unfortunately also means dump it wherever you can, often close to waterways.

Well this seams to be the big push at the minute as to cut down on plastic which is good but does nothing for whats in the system currently and to be frank we will still have plastics, so recycling is where we should be starting, as a consumer we are told to separate all our waste so then to put it in a hole in the ground is crazy.
if plastics are not biodegradable within a short allowed lifetime or recyclable then we should not use it and find another material. if around the world they sell 20,000 plastic bottles a second, there is a demand for 20,000 bottles a second so there is no reason for any to go into landfill.
Think of it like water, there is an amount of water on earth, we cant make more its all we have so that very expensive bottled water folks buy will of had dinosaurs pee in it at some point.
We need to move away from the throw away attitude and use whats in the system first before producing new and do this in a clean way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom