Extinction Rebellion - leaving aside the emotion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a Programme on ITV (I think) last night that seemed to show that outright Porkys have been used in order to basically waste the £7 Billion used so far on the Project!:mad:

Aside from the travel benefits that the scheme may ultimately offer, from a financial perspective it has been handled appallingly.

Initially, the "experts" said was going to cost £33 BILLION but a 2013 review saw this change literally overnight to the tune of an extra £9 BILLION. Subsequent reviews now put the cost at £55 BILLION and with a projected completion date of 2033 it's really a question of how many 100s of £ BILLIONS the scheme will really swallow up in the end.

It's an un-costed clusterfcuk.

And my response was to your post saying we should be using less fossil fuels.
But you like the last word, so be my guest.

We have control over how we generate our energy domestically and like most developed economies are slowly reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. Ergo, re-opening our long-defunct coal mines wouldn't be consistent with this policy and wouldn't happen anyway since the generators buy cheaper coal from outside the EU and import it.

What we can't control is how much fossil fuel is burned by the USA, China or anyone else.

I'm sure you can grasp that.

Anyway, back to the pros and cons of HS2;

I’m working on the Enabling works over by Euston Station and towards Mornington Crescent Station. This entails knocking down up to 20 buildings to make way for the tracks and where the trains will go underground on their journey towardS Old Oak Common. As well as a large number of buildings being demolished the big high profile job was the exhumation of over 50,000 bodies from St James Gardens cemetery. You can google it if you like.

Several blocks of council flats owned by Camden Council have been demolished and brand new flats built nearby. These old flats were slums so many people have received new homes which is a good thing. Obviously lots of work for construction firms which is also good. Camden did very well out of it!! They are spending 50-60 million pounds on refurbishing their town hall on the Euston Road. I’m working on that too!!

Euston Station is being totally re-furnished and will be twice the size. It’s going to be fabulous. The place is awful anyway so it’s about time. Does anybody here remember what it was like around Kings Cross 20 years ago? You want to go there now.

People need to see the whole picture in regards to HS2. It’s not simply about a railway line. It’s so much more. The jobs and opportunities it will create are phenomenal. Will it go over budget? Of course it will. Most large projects like this do.

The railway infrastructure coming out of Euston has had it. They need renewing but the railway is in use 24/7. Best way is to build a new one. Somebody told me that you can only adapt things for a certain amount of times and then you need to renew them.

All of the great projects throughout history have had their critics. The M25 for example. We’ve all forgotten about it already.
The Channel Tunnel? Connecting us to the frogs!?! 25 years later and it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

You get my point.

I’m working on the Enabling works over by Euston Station and towards Mornington Crescent Station. This entails knocking down up to 20 buildings to make way for the tracks and where the trains will go underground on their journey towardS Old Oak Common. As well as a large number of buildings being demolished the big high profile job was the exhumation of over 50,000 bodies from St James Gardens cemetery. You can google it if you like.

Several blocks of council flats owned by Camden Council have been demolished and brand new flats built nearby. These old flats were slums so many people have received new homes which is a good thing. Obviously lots of work for construction firms which is also good. Camden did very well out of it!! They are spending 50-60 million pounds on refurbishing their town hall on the Euston Road. I’m working on that too!!

Euston Station is being totally re-furnished and will be twice the size. It’s going to be fabulous. The place is awful anyway so it’s about time. Does anybody here remember what it was like around Kings Cross 20 years ago? You want to go there now.

People need to see the whole picture in regards to HS2. It’s not simply about a railway line. It’s so much more. The jobs and opportunities it will create are phenomenal. Will it go over budget? Of course it will. Most large projects like this do.

The railway infrastructure coming out of Euston has had it. They need renewing but the railway is in use 24/7. Best way is to build a new one. Somebody told me that you can only adapt things for a certain amount of times and then you need to renew them.

All of the great projects throughout history have had their critics. The M25 for example. We’ve all forgotten about it already.
The Channel Tunnel? Connecting us to the frogs!?! 25 years later and it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

You get my point.
Well, that convinced me! Thanks.

Well, that convinced me! Thanks.
It was never supposed to convince anybody. Just a little bit of an insight from somebody who’s actually working there.

I could write a load more but quite frankly most people’s minds are made up anyway.

Hey don’t forget you’ll all be able to get to Birmingham 20mins quicker :):):)

It’ll be the new ....er.....er........ well you’ll get there a bit quicker :rolleyes:

It’ll be the new ....er.....er........ well you’ll get there a bit quicker :rolleyes:
Surely the advantage was that one could get back form Birmingham 20 mins quicker? :)

You get my point.

A very well presented and evidenced post, thank you.

If you really think that this is what it’s all about then if it was up to you would we all be still be living in a cave.

With people currently thrashing about looking for other things to blame for climate change including agriculture lets not forget the "cinder"ella in the corner that's responsible for 8% of the worlds current CO2 output- namely cement. 8% doesn't seem much but if the cement industry were a country, it would be the third largest emitter in the world - behind China and the US. It contributes more CO2 than aviation fuel (2.5%) and is not far behind the global agriculture business (12%). It also has unfortunate links to transport when you realise that all those runways, viaducts, motorways, bridges etc are more often than not made of---cement! I imagine there's the odd bag of portland or two involved in HS2? ;)
The massive CO2 emitter you may not know about

I just had a quick look through your link there Grober.
China used more cement between 2011 and 2013 than the US did in the entire 20th Century!!

urbanisation-in-china.jpg

The urbanisation of Chinese society has been immense in the last 4 decades!
China’s long and winding road to quality urbanisation
quote:-
In the four decades of reform and opening-up, China’s urbanisation rate has increased from 17.9 per cent to 58.5 per cent. During this period 640 million people migrated from rural to urban areas-equal to 46 per cent of China’s population. = a lot of concrete!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom