Extra horn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Group Captain

Car
Mercedes C220d 2018
I'm thinking about putting in an extra horn, to run separately from the main one. It would be wired up to one of the blank buttons below the radio. My main questions are ....where in the engine bay would there be room to attach one, and would the wiring be horribly complex?

It would help to know the age of your car.

The modern versions do not usually switch on electrical items directly but via CANBUS signals.

You could of course wire directly to a relay from a spare fuse location or directly from the battery via a fused link.

The real question is why do you wish to do this? Is the original of poor output?

Ergonomically it is far less convenient to take a hand off the wheel to operate a button when wishing to sound the horn in a potential emergency.

Last edited:
Firstly, why ?

Secondly, the blank button is probably just a blank, no button.

How big is the proposed extra horn? Wiring could be just a single wire.

Surely it's pretty simple. - Power the relay with a switch, the relay powers the horn.
If you want it heard, I'd probably mount it before the radiator, behind the grille.

Dare I ask why you want an extra horn?

Those switches aren't what you'd expect. It's a control panel that sends info as to what is pressed on the car's network, i.e. Nothing accessible

The existing horn on the 2008 c class is more than adequate, but it's so loud it like a gun going off so no worries there for ordinary use. The missus read a newspaper article about horns that are less 'aggressive'. In my local town, the roads are very slow and narrow and we seem to have a lot of old people who wander into the road. It would be nice to alert them to my presence with a more gentle 'beep beep' rather than a heart stopping deafening explosion of a noise. Also, if you spot a pal in a supermarket car park, a quieter beep would make them look over. Basically, choice might be nice. Oh, and yes, I know the rules regarding horn use on the road.

Mercedes of years back used to come fitted with two horns. Country and Town, switchable but not exactly sure how it was implemented. This is long before electronics and Canbus so probably a simple changeover switch.

The existing horn on the 2008 c class is more than adequate, but it's so loud it like a gun going off so no worries there for ordinary use. The missus read a newspaper article about horns that are less 'aggressive'. In my local town, the roads are very slow and narrow and we seem to have a lot of old people who wander into the road. It would be nice to alert them to my presence with a more gentle 'beep beep' rather than a heart stopping deafening explosion of a noise. Also, if you spot a pal in a supermarket car park, a quieter beep would make them look over. Basically, choice might be nice. Oh, and yes, I know the rules regarding horn use on the road.

This is favourite prank of drivers around the country lanes, where I walk my dogs. Many of these drivers have acquired electric cars.

Creep up unheard and unnoticed behind dog walker > give a Titanic Ear Splitting blast on the horn.

Oh how I find myself laughing, as I reenter the Earths atmosphere in an uncontrolled descent, with no parachutes and my dogs at my side as they and me empty ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom