Extreme exhaust tip detail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I thought I'd show some before and after pictures to show what you can achieve with some persistence.

This is how the exhaust tip when I took it off the car. It looks like it should be scrapped but it is £300 for a new exhaust tip so I thought I'd see if I could improve its appearance before parting with my cash.

before.jpg

A couple of hours of sanding, working from a course grade down to a fine grade and then 20 minutes with a polishing mop ended with this.

After.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive.

Looks as good as new !!!

I started on an 80 grit coarse sandpaper and worked down to 1200 wet and dry. Then finished it off with a polishing mop and polish (3 grades).

It took a couple of hours using 50 percent graft and 50 percent powertools.

Great job!

I have four of the buggers I want to get right. Tried oven cleaner (very carefully) - was ok but still some deposit left.

Are they easy to remove, Sp!ke? Had never occurred to me to take them off.

Tim

Cracking work Spike! :rock:

My tailpipes weren't anywhere near as bad as yours was to start with but that's exactly the method I employed.

Although I don't have any tools/ machinery so I had to do it by hand :crazy:

Fair play for persevering.. I know how long it takes, but as you now know, it's well worth it :rock:

Many people do not advise using sandpaper for fear of working through the chrome.

But it is indeed possible if you take your time and be careful.

Great results, Spike.

:thumb:

It isn't chrome, it is stainless steel so just go for it.

On the late R129 models they came painted black from the factory.

Rash...I'm speechless!

Rash...I'm speechless!

Hey Greg :thumb:

It was a marathon session but I'm very happy with the results.

I really didn't think it was possible to bring the pipe work, back boxes and brackets back to life... but I was very wrong! :rock:

Anyone else love to see what the interior of Rash's wardrobe looks like ?

I bet it's all colour co-ordinated, split between work and leisure with shoe boxes, ties in colour order and not a thing out of place.

rash thats mental

Spike thats a top job , it looked unsalvagable

Anyone else love to see what the interior of Rash's wardrobe looks like ?

I bet it's all colour co-ordinated, split between work and leisure with shoe boxes, ties in colour order and not a thing out of place.

Hahaha... you joker :rolleyes::D

rash thats mental

Spike thats a top job , it looked unsalvagable

Hey dude, hope you are well! :rock:

Yes, I was really pleased with the results of my polishing mission! :D

Once I started and saw that it could all be cleaned up, I was like an excited child and couldn't wait to see it once I'd finished! :D

Completely agree with you about Spike's tailpipe... It looked like it had been in a fire and then buried! :eek:

He did a cracking job.

Great work.
Are you sure the tailpipes are stainless?
Oh,and Rash,fantastic job but what about that speck of dust I saw inside at Brooklands?

Great work.
Are you sure the tailpipes are stainless?
Oh,and Rash,fantastic job but what about that speck of dust I saw inside at Brooklands?

Hahaha... :rolleyes:

Thanks bud :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom