Extreme Man Maths!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks amazing so far, it's a shame your paintshop is so far from me as im looking for someone to do my 124

Progress has been disappointingly slow, but steady. Wings, doors, and boot-lid reattached and polished and wiring done. Still chasing up some clips and fixings.
1669233116309.png
Toyota MR2 in background.
1669233187629.png
MGB in reflection.
1669233240250.png
Fiesta XR2 in background.
1669233323490.png
I did not mention the c/l vacuum on the passenger door was a bit flakey. Perhaps they'll fix it!

Coming together very nicely, its going to look amazing!

Fourteen months on and six since my last post! The end is now in sight and I hope to collect the car on 1st June. I actually requested that the pressure be taken off, as there was little point in having the car back in winter. Additionally, I've had nowhere to put her as I've had the conservatory demolished and a sunroom extension built with the furniture stacked in the carport. That project is nearly complete and will be the subject of a later post! 😱

Meanwhile, I'm assured bodywork, suspension and mechanical fettling have been completed along with a final polish.

1684769272471.png

1684769306082.png
(Old Scimitar in reflection)

Oooh - can hardly wait...😏

It's getting very exciting! - looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Looks absolutely gorgeous, what a shine! 😍

Looking at your A pillar and base of windscreen photos gave me a sinking feeling. My 230ce is currently getting a new windscreen and rust repair to the frame. Makes me wonder what other horrors are hidden.

Another six months have passed. What, you might ask, has occurred since my last post? Anyone and their dog must know that car restoration is an effing minefield. Just as one thinks the end is in sight, another unknown horror makes an appearance. Other delays included a key employee heading back to Ukraine, moving premises out of Central Edinburgh, and sourcing a few parts.

Things were going so well when someone picked too much off the underseal around the rear suspension mounts. The sub-frame and petrol tank had to come out for further welding… 😭

The ABS continued to be problematic and eventually, as the whole front end had already been dismantled to replace the top struts and fitting Bilsteins, I went for replacing virtually the lot – new hubs, calipers, discs, pads along with the ABS bits. Oooh shiny!

Coincidently, on Bangers and Cash Restoring Classics, a comment was made, in connection with an Audi 100, that whilst there is a proportion of fairly advanced electronics, there is no diagnostic plug-in, so a lot of problem-solving is down to time-consuming trial and error. My man told me exactly the same a month ago!

Anyway, I’ve got the old girl back again, and it was like putting on favourite comfortable shoes again. Mechanically, it is probably as good as it gets. Both ends have been rebuilt, new brake lines, full service, and working A/C. With a full tank of BP Ultimate E5, there is a surprising turn of speed on the straights and round bends! Got the cleanest MOT ever! :banana:

As previously mentioned, the hidden corrosion on the A-pillars rendered the car potentially structurally unsafe. I have extensive photographic evidence of the repairs along with the rust protection measures. Lanoguard has been favoured for hidden areas and box sections.

The paint finish is excellent, but ultimately not quite as good as the respray done back in 2009. I’ve spotted several blemishes, but rectification work will be left until next Spring along with any other snagging issues that emerge. If the rear suspension does not settle sufficiently, I’ll have it lowered an inch or so.

In practice, the coupe will hardly be used now and will sit on the trickle charge most of the time. I’ll give any further updates as and when.

1699739272418.png
1699739301005.png
1699739329251.png

What a coincidence, I was just wondering about this today, if it was finished or not.

Lovely job, car looks amazing and I totally get the "favourite comfy shoes" analogy. Money well spent imo.

Another six months have passed. What, you might ask, has occurred since my last post? Anyone and their dog must know that car restoration is an effing minefield. Just as one thinks the end is in sight, another unknown horror makes an appearance. Other delays included a key employee heading back to Ukraine, moving premises out of Central Edinburgh, and sourcing a few parts.

Things were going so well when someone picked too much off the underseal around the rear suspension mounts. The sub-frame and petrol tank had to come out for further welding… 😭

The ABS continued to be problematic and eventually, as the whole front end had already been dismantled to replace the top struts and fitting Bilsteins, I went for replacing virtually the lot – new hubs, calipers, discs, pads along with the ABS bits. Oooh shiny!

Coincidently, on Bangers and Cash Restoring Classics, a comment was made, in connection with an Audi 100, that whilst there is a proportion of fairly advanced electronics, there is no diagnostic plug-in, so a lot of problem-solving is down to time-consuming trial and error. My man told me exactly the same a month ago!

Anyway, I’ve got the old girl back again, and it was like putting on favourite comfortable shoes again. Mechanically, it is probably as good as it gets. Both ends have been rebuilt, new brake lines, full service, and working A/C. With a full tank of BP Ultimate E5, there is a surprising turn of speed on the straights and round bends! Got the cleanest MOT ever! :banana:

As previously mentioned, the hidden corrosion on the A-pillars rendered the car potentially structurally unsafe. I have extensive photographic evidence of the repairs along with the rust protection measures. Lanoguard has been favoured for hidden areas and box sections.

The paint finish is excellent, but ultimately not quite as good as the respray done back in 2009. I’ve spotted several blemishes, but rectification work will be left until next Spring along with any other snagging issues that emerge. If the rear suspension does not settle sufficiently, I’ll have it lowered an inch or so.

In practice, the coupe will hardly be used now and will sit on the trickle charge most of the time. I’ll give any further updates as and when.

View attachment 149389
View attachment 149390
View attachment 149391
Handsome car, you must be pleased with the result.

Magnificent !

What a fantastic result! Car looks great 🎉

A wee post-script...

I wasn't going to use the car much over the worst of winter, so I wasn't too bothered about a few snagging issues:
  1. Passenger door out of adjustment and needed to be rehung.
  2. Central locking inop. on passenger door. (I've had the flakey immobiliser removed)
  3. Cruise control stalk not fitted correctly.
  4. Car riding too high. (see post #30)

1712765236314.jpeg

Mmmm- luvverly shiny suspension

1712765351339.jpeg

OK - Door perfect, car filthy, still at shop and being road-tested tomorrow. Told them to give it the gutty... :cool:

There are still about a dozen minor blemishes on the paint which will be polished out later.

So, picked up the car yesterday. Delighted! All snagging has been dealt with and the car feels tight and rattle-free.

The suspension is largely new and more or less the same as the old Sportline setup. Along with Bilsteins all round, the ride is, as expected, firmer but I have no concerns as 60 profiles retain comfort.

Still - goes better than a 28-year-old C124 has any right to. Went through the esses on the north side of Soutra at 60 - well, you try it!

Now, the title of the thread is Extreme Man Maths: here are some figures :eek:

Back in September 1996, the car cost £43215 - only options were leccy driver's seat, sunroof, and leather.

I px'd my 300CE-24 in September 2001 (23 years ago) paying £14250 to change.

Since then, over 90800 miles, I've lashed out...

£15439 in petrol
£17606 in servicing and parts
£10517 in MOT/tax/insurance (an unavoidable sum common to all cars)

All OK so far?

£22023 in refurbishment (June 2009) and restoration.

Don't mention depreciation or question what the car might be worth now! :wallbash:

All I know is, that the above equates to 72p per mile!

Here is a gratuitous photo of the still-filthy voiture...
1713023414262.jpeg

So, picked up the car yesterday. Delighted! All snagging has been dealt with and the car feels tight and rattle-free.

The suspension is largely new and more or less the same as the old Sportline setup. Along with Bilsteins all round, the ride is, as expected, firmer but I have no concerns as 60 profiles retain comfort.

Still - goes better than a 28-year-old C124 has any right to. Went through the esses on the north side of Soutra at 60 - well, you try it!

Now, the title of the thread is Extreme Man Maths: here are some figures :eek:

Back in September 1996, the car cost £43215 - only options were leccy driver's seat, sunroof, and leather.

I px'd my 300CE-24 in September 2001 (23 years ago) paying £14250 to change.

Since then, over 90800 miles, I've lashed out...

£15439 in petrol
£17606 in servicing and parts
£10517 in MOT/tax/insurance (an unavoidable sum common to all cars)

All OK so far?

£22023 in refurbishment (June 2009) and restoration.

Don't mention depreciation or question what the car might be worth now! :wallbash:

All I know is, that the above equates to 72p per mile!

Here is a gratuitous photo of the still-filthy voiture...
View attachment 155604
More importantly, you've saved an elegant old bus from a one way trip to the big metal muncher in the sky.
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom