Extreme recycling - blown bulb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Who said blown bulbs are useless and should be discarded? ;)

31304402377_b3f3dd7d0b_o.jpg

Yes, I know - there's being tight and then there's this ^^^ ha ha

Very neat job. I've done something similar for a day time running light on my bike.

Reactions: GLK
While we are on the subject of bulbs (and being tight o_O), I just used an old first aid kit case to create a spare bulbs holder.
Won't win any beauty contests, I'm sure ... but sturdy and functional:

31373688867_1f414504bc_o.jpg

32440440358_d5d96fcb92_o.jpg

31373689827_a8b7ceda58_o.jpg

Some 3M Dual Lock tape on the back, and perhaps a Mercedes sticker up front, and it will be ready to into the boot compartment :wink

Excellent job. Nicer and more robust than the “proper” kit I bought some years back.

Car now is 100% LEDs so the repair kit is just a healthy credit card :(

Excellent job. Nicer and more robust than the “proper” kit I bought some years back.
Thanks! :)
Car now is 100% LEDs so the repair kit is just a healthy credit card :(
Fantastic! I wish my was ... still a few filament / halogen remnants, although I'm working on it ;)
As soon as I get [now tried and tested] second sets, they will replace the spare halogen ones in the box.
Apart perhaps, from tail/fog P21/4W BAZ15D and rear turn indicators PY21W BAY15S - not much point going LED for those.

.. . What's this thing David....?

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_072903.jpg
    IMG_20181216_072903.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 13
Who said blown bulbs are useless and should be discarded? ;)

31304402377_b3f3dd7d0b_o.jpg

Yes, I know - there's being tight and then there's this ^^^ ha ha
Am I alone in wondering what this wonderful Frankenstein item actual is?

.. . What's this thing David....?
It is almost impossible, on the 169, to grab the side light bulb holder with one's fingers, to pull out - so everyone ends up pulling by the wires, which can't be good.
As I change the side lights more often, than average person, due to my obsession with LED lights :rolleyes: I made this little contraption - it locks on the W5W holder almost by itself, and pulls it out easily:

45579040052_c997e50ea3_o.jpg

45579040942_54beaf043a_o.jpg

It looks a bit rough, but actually polished to a very smooth finish, and works perfectly well.

Am I alone in wondering what this wonderful Frankenstein item actual is?
It's a very bright LED COB light panel, with can be used where P21W (BA15S) bulb was originally used, particularly in any interior lighting, or a reverse light - really makes it easier to see at night.

It's a very bright LED COB light panel, with can be used where P21W (BA15S) bulb was originally used, particularly in any interior lighting, or a reverse light - really makes it easier to see at night.
OMG, I can so see that now, indeed I actually bought a commercial version of just such a thing for my GT4 interior light a decade ago when LEDs were 1st coming out!

OMG, I can so see that now, indeed I actually bought a commercial version of just such a thing for my GT4 interior light a decade ago when LEDs were 1st coming out!
It was most likely, a whole bunch of individual LEDs on a PCB, as COB LED wasn't commercially available back then ...

I fitted these in my interior in summer 2015 and only had to replace one (which I re-soldered and it's working fine again). Great little things.

It was most likely, a whole bunch of individual LEDs on a PCB, as COB LED wasn't commercially available back then ...

Came across this photo of my old GT4 installation...

courtesy light1.JPG

Good job. Maybe you can do a tutorial video on it or a step by step process so others can do it too by themselves. It's a good idea and mother nature is thankful.

It's very simple really - blown bulb, break and remove glass, fill with hot glue, solder a 2-pin plug, to what used to be the tungsten filament holding arms, connect LED or COB lighting source. Done :)

The other bits are even simpler.

BTW, are you really running a W169 in the US? Is it European or Mexican spec? I looked into that, some years ago, but was told it can't be done, so got myself a GLK from the Miami Beach dealership ... Still miss that car (X204 WDCGG8JB3 - GLK350 4Matic AMG Pack), as you can probably tell by my forum name and avatar :)

Incidentally, if you want a mph instrument cluster, I have the insert going cheap (it's just a thin plastic) to replace the km/h display (if that's what you have)?

You can email me on david.glk @ mail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom