Exxon chilled about Global Warming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

Claims are surfacing that ExxonMobil scientists confirmed fossil fuels were causing climate change decades ago, but publicly embarked on a campaign of denial.

So if I undestand what the article says - they actually executed a 'what if' research programme.

But by doing that they are accused of effectively 'confirming' what they are researching into even though it's on a 'what if' basis.

:dk:

So if I undestand what the article says - they actually executed a 'what if' research programme.

But by doing that they are accused of effectively 'confirming' what they are researching into even though it's on a 'what if' basis.

:dk:

I believe the what ifs relate to how warming might effect x, y and z, but the scientists involved appeared concerned, if not 100% clear.

“Certainly any major development with a life span of say 30-40 years will need to assess the impacts of potential global warming,” Croasdale told an engineering conference in 1991. “This is particularly true of Arctic and offshore projects in Canada, where warming will clearly affect sea ice, icebergs, permafrost and sea levels.”

I think the bigger story is one of obfuscation by Exxon who have since claimed that the research was nothing to do with CC.

Reminds me of big tobacco in the 50s who responded to an increase in lung cancer cases in cities by claiming it was due to bitumen poisoning caused by the increased number of roads in cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the bigger story is one of obfuscation by Exxon who have since claimed that the research was nothing to do with CC.

Well they could claim that given that the Arctic was subject to a warm period for a few hundred years before 1400AD they would need to look at contingencies given their investment.

That's the warm period the Climate change non-Deniers conveniently forget or don't even know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom