F TYPE vs SLK55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzedUP

MB Enthusiast
Car
NA
Well, a friend of mine has a 2015 F Type Coupe V6 S 380hp.

Gorgeous looking machine, very well built, great ZF gear box, incredibly comfortable.

We had a few 0-100 runs with my SLK55 and to my surprise the F type didn't even stand a chance, the SLK55 pulls away straight away and keeps on pulling, not even a close match.

I'd imagine it will be closer if the F type was the V8 490hp version but the R171 SLK55 can still be right up there when it comes to performance.

I know taste is a personal thing but I am not convinced the F is as good looking as everyone makes out…haven't seen one in the flesh yet though. The SLK is quite a small car; how does it compare in size to the F?

The SLK 55 wouldn't get near the F-Type S though which is essentially the same test you're carrying out there albeit the other extreme...

I've driven an F-Type S and it is truly phenomenal, the sound on the downward blips are heavenly and the speed is phenomenal. Mercedes don't make anything as theatrical as the F-Type and judging by their future lineup I can't see much challenging.

GT - S is very theatrical according to the press and a bang on F Type comparison.

Everywhere we went we had thumbs up, everyone seems to love it - Personally not for me but I can see the attraction.

Size wise the SLK55 is smaller, it's also slightly lighter even though it's a convertible.
1540kg for the SLK55 vs 1596kg for the F coupe.

Duplicate.

Last edited:
SPX said:
The SLK 55 wouldn't get near the F-Type S though which is essentially the same test you're carrying out there albeit the other extreme... I've driven an F-Type S and it is truly phenomenal, the sound on the downward blips are heavenly and the speed is phenomenal. Mercedes don't make anything as theatrical as the F-Type and judging by their future lineup I can't see much challenging.

Lee, Straight line performance the F type V6 S couldn't match the SLK55, I'm sure the V8 version would be closer.

Everything else goes to the F type, in terms of build quality, comfort, gadgets, etc..

Mercedes don't make anything as theatrical as the F-Type and judging by their future lineup I can't see much challenging.

Hmmm.....let me see.

Mercedes-AMG-GT-S-560x373-ccc06474cd6c0262_zpslbzwotnv.jpg

POTW_AMG_GT_intro_zpse89bbc38_1.jpg

Having had the benefit of driving both F-Type R and GT-S (as well as owning the indirect predecessors of both, SLS and XKR-S), I've put my money where my mouth is. I do like my Jag's and the F-Type, and whilst I'd say there's equally as much much theatre in both, the AMG is engineered to a totally different level.

Last edited:
Lovely, the F-Type is nice, though id only think about the V8 version.​
I doubt it would be close against the V8 one, you'd be wondering how far in the distance it was, hehe.:thumb:

Grovsie31 said:
Lovely, the F-Type is nice, though id only think about the V8 version. I doubt it would be close against the V8 one, you'd be wondering how far in the distance it was, hehe.:thumb:

Yeah, I'm the same if I'd ever go for one (highly unlikely) I'd only go V8!

Haha, yeah I'd just get this bad boy out, which should take good care of the V8 F type ;)

Last edited:
Fair enough, I don't personally have any experience with the V8 version. Only the Supercharged V6 S 380hp model, which on paper at least should give the SLK55 a v close run but reality was slightly different.

C36fan said:
i raced one at vmax when my 63 was only remapped and the v8 jaguar won the race not by much but won it they're extremely fast!:(

I killed it Bruno ;-) and it was mapped too.

In what car?

I'm sure the V8 version is very quick, I was just a bit surprised the 380hp model couldn't even keep up well with my SLK55 considering Jaguar say it is capable of 0-60 in 4.8secs, did not seem that way unless my SLK55 is over performing. :s

Yeah, I'm the same if I'd ever go for one (highly unlikely) I'd only go V8!

Haha, yeah I'd just get this bad boy out, which should take good care of the V8 F type ;)

But it sounds like a tumble drier. Id personally take the V8 Jag and 30k any day of the week. The Turbo doesn't do it for me. If it was a GT3, well then that's different. :rock:

Grovsie31 said:
But it sounds like a tumble drier. Id personally take the V8 Jag and 30k any day of the week. The Turbo doesn't do it for me. If it was a GT3, well then that's different. :rock:

Good to know, cheers mate. :)

BenzedUP said:
In what car? I'm sure the V8 version is very quick, I was just a bit surprised the 380hp model couldn't even keep up well with my SLK55 considering Jaguar say it is capable of 0-60 in 4.8secs, did not seem that way unless my SLK55 is over performing. :s

My SL.

Grovsie31 said:
A tumble dryer that would leave most cars for dust !!:D
Give me a gt2 all day long!;)

acej said:
I killed it Bruno ;-) and it was mapped too.
you did J but your car is rapid !:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom