F1 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've timed my upcoming trip to Melbourne to include a visit to Albert Park on March 24.
Did that in 2014. Brilliant experience, I hope you have an amazing time. 👍

It’s a funny old world!
After enjoying a career in motorsport as an engineer, I never dreamed of becoming an author, but that’s what happened last year and I continue to write a monthly column in Racecar Engineering magazine.

But a film star? I’m certainly never going to rival ‘uncle’ Steve, but to even be listed on a film promotional poster with the likes of Senna must mean I’ve got one foot on the ladder!:dk:🤣 They even spelt my name correctly :eek:

The film is being produced in Brazil and tells the life story of my very first racing driver Alex Ribeiro who won the Nurburgring F2 race in 1978 against an armada of works BMW powered cars. He then went on to become the pastor to the wildly successful Brazilian World Cup football and Olympic squads.
The title translates as ‘Miracle in the Green Hell’…Nurburgring.

c977dbe5-4473-4754-860c-26370212f8ec.jpg

This was only my 3rd ever motor race, and even stranger than that, the guy behind Alex was to become my longest continuous serving driver, Indy 500 winner Eddie Cheever. Eddie completed a 3 year sentence with me as his race engineer in the Silk Cut Jaguar era.
The 3rd place driver was called Rosberg, I wonder what happened to him?

Whatever next? A hit West End Musical perhaps?....oh no! I’ve already done that as a Sound Engineer back in the 70’s 🤣 😁

It’s a funny old world!
After enjoying a career in motorsport as an engineer, I never dreamed of becoming an author, but that’s what happened last year and I continue to write a monthly column in Racecar Engineering magazine.

But a film star? I’m certainly never going to rival ‘uncle’ Steve, but to even be listed on a film promotional poster with the likes of Senna must mean I’ve got one foot on the ladder!:dk:🤣 They even spelt my name correctly :eek:

The film is being produced in Brazil and tells the life story of my very first racing driver Alex Ribeiro who won the Nurburgring F2 race in 1978 against an armada of works BMW powered cars. He then went on to become the pastor to the wildly successful Brazilian World Cup football and Olympic squads.
The title translates as ‘Miracle in the Green Hell’…Nurburgring.

View attachment 152442

This was only my 3rd ever motor race, and even stranger than that, the guy behind Alex was to become my longest continuous serving driver, Indy 500 winner Eddie Cheever. Eddie completed a 3 year sentence with me as his race engineer in the Silk Cut Jaguar era.
The 3rd place driver was called Rosberg, I wonder what happened to him?

Whatever next? A hit West End Musical perhaps?....oh no! I’ve already done that as a Sound Engineer back in the 70’s 🤣 😁
You have star quality @Mactech there is no end to your talents!

After 15 years of trying to encourage my son to have a passion for cars - and eventually giving up - it seems that you have managed to do what I failed to do, and I’m not even kidding!

After getting up close to the Le Mans Bentleys, and me explaining your role - he remembered meeting you at BOTG last year - he has all of a sudden developed an interest in sports car racing.

We’ve left it too late to go to Le Mans 24h this year but I’m thinking of taking him to the 24h Nurburgring. I’m just trying to see if we can work something out to make it a bit special.

You have star quality @Mactech there is no end to your talents!

After 15 years of trying to encourage my son to have a passion for cars - and eventually giving up - it seems that you have managed to do what I failed to do, and I’m not even kidding!

After getting up close to the Le Mans Bentleys, and me explaining your role - he remembered meeting you at BOTG last year - he has all of a sudden developed an interest in sports car racing.

We’ve left it too late to go to Le Mans 24h this year but I’m thinking of taking him to the 24h Nurburgring. I’m just trying to see if we can work something out to make it a bit special.
The old adage of "If you enjoy what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life" I just stumbled into really.
Apart from 6 months designing heat exchangers (yawn) I've just been very lucky to enjoy my hobbies. If a young person has a passion for motorsport, there are many more ways of being involved than there was when I started:thumb:

The old adage of "If you enjoy what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life" I just stumbled into really.
True words, that apply to more than just work. When my son Rob started to think about what to study at university he didn’t have a career in mind. He ended up choosing Quantity Surveying as a good grounding for lots of jobs. His year 3 work placement turned him right off the building trade, so when he chatted to a major tech company during his final year’s milkround about a career in computing, which was his hobby, he finally knew which way to go. He’s done very well since.

When his younger sister was later going through the same process of deciding which course to follow at university, Rob’s advice was simple: “Do what you enjoy.”

The old adage of "If you enjoy what you do, you'll never have to work a day in your life"
My old Grandad told me this when I was 16.

40 years later after being a,
Plumber (leadworker)
Holiday rep
Builder
Holiday rep
Bar owner in Skiathos
Leadworker
I can tell you that he was 100% correct.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's a no for Andretti to join F1.
I'm just not sure if the power games in F1 are constructive and ensure the future of 'F1ness' or will cause the whole thing to implode? :dk:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's a no for Andretti to join F1.
I'm just not sure if the power games in F1 are constructive and ensure the future of 'F1ness' or will cause the whole thing to implode? :dk:
Must say, I don’t understand the objection (besides the dived by 10 v divide by 11) to allowing Andretti into F1. Seems to me that they would bring something to the party. There’s noises about Audi joining, so why not Andretti-GM?

Last edited:
Audi will probably circumvent the F1 closed shop by buying an established under funded team such as Haas.
If I understand it correctly, Andretti were rejected as they would not be competitive? If so, that would apply to half of the current grid!

Audi will probably circumvent the F1 closed shop by buying an established under funded team such as Haas.
If I understand it correctly, Andretti were rejected as they would not be competitive? If so, that would apply to half of the current grid!
Yes, Audi will take over the Sauber entry. They will also bring with them their own new power unit.
It would seem that either of those routes would be likely to get Andretti an F1 slot. However, Haas is not likely to sell to Andretti, and the GM power unit is nothing like ready.
Oh! and the pie is not split in anymore than 10 slices....

Haas selling to Andretti would be a shock! Dorilton Capital might sell Williams if the price is right, but would Mercedes still provide the power plant?
I know that you cannot stop progress, but I do have a yearning for the old days when , if you could afford a Cosworth DFV and Hewland box, cobble together a chassis, pay the entrant fee and go racing....for fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom