F1 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess it must be true....but I'm struggling to believe that 220kg wet weight claim....GSXR1100 engine alone weights 80kg with the oil.. The 140 kg left is not a lots for everything else. The bike the engine came from weighed 254kg wet!.....
I know when he was designing it, 200Kgs was the target! So an overshoot of 10% seems reasonable.
The carbon tube (with a big hole for the driver) which is both chassis and bodywork, weighs almost nothing, certainly less than half that of the gixer steel frame. Although there are 4 wheels, they really are light compared to 17" production bike wheels....no heavy fork assemblies, no steel fuel tank, etc...
Think of a 160 kgs Moto GP bike and the 220kgs seems quite reasonable:dk:

I'm sure you are right....but MOTO GP bikes don't have a big heavy old fashioned engine at their centre....their engines only weigh about 45kg....not 80 and they only have two wheels etc....I'm sure no one is lying but i just seem amazing that a car that size only weight about 20kg more than my street GSXR1000.

I'm sure you are right....but MOTO GP bikes don't have a big heavy old fashioned engine at their centre....their engines only weigh about 45kg....not 80 and they only have two wheels etc....I'm sure no one is lying but i just seem amazing that a car that size only weight about 20kg more than my street GSXR1000.
Yes, I think weight is very much about application and attitude.
When Ross Brawn cam to join me at Jaguar in 1990, I was fretting about how to get rid of 150kgs from a 900kg Gp C car to get to the up coming new weight limit of 750. Turned out Ross was wondering where he was going to fit the extra 200kgs on the lightly disguised 2 seat F1 car he had in mind!

Another great example is this one I did in 2014.
IMG_0630.JPG
It is a whole tonne lighter than the road car and comfortably made the 1300kgs GT3 limit. I used to claim in presentations with the VW group that there was a whole Polo missing from the racecar weight, but at Vmax we would have the equivalent of Polo weight back on the roof in the form of downforce....
They all seemed to get that!

When Ross Brawn cam to join me at Jaguar in 1990, I was fretting about how to get rid of 150kgs from a 900kg Gp C car to get to the up coming new weight limit of 750. Turned out Ross was wondering where he was going to fit the extra 200kgs on the lightly disguised 2 seat F1 car he had in mind!

While I would normally vote for substance over style - I think the XJR14 was one of the best looking racing cars ever. It's also ageless in a unique way IMO. If you hadn't seen it before and it was wheeled out as a 2024 design you wouldn't think it was from 34 years ago.

On a very minor note - I was watching James Vowles being interviewed a couple of weeks back and if I'd closed my eyes I would have thought it was Ross Brawn from the 1990s.

Another great example is this one I did in 2014.
View attachment 156027
It is a whole tonne lighter than the road car and comfortably made the 1300kgs GT3 limit. I used to claim in presentations with the VW group that there was a whole Polo missing from the racecar weight, but at Vmax we would have the equivalent of Polo weight back on the roof in the form of downforce....
They all seemed to get that!
If Polos weigh that much, I’m going to have to ban my daughter from eating them in the car. No wonder the mpg is so poor! Anyway, doesn’t the hole in the middle bugger up aerodynamics when you stick one on the roof?

While I would normally vote for substance over style - I think the XJR14 was one of the best looking racing cars ever. It's also ageless in a unique way IMO. If you hadn't seen it before and it was wheeled out as a 2024 design you wouldn't think it was from 34 years ago.
I think I was so close to the nuts and bolts of the racecars that I never really thought of what they looked like. It was all about performance. I spent 1991 out of racing and in the world of road cars developing the XJ220 which raised my awareness of peoples attitude as to the way a car looked....
Such was the pace of development in the Sportscar world, Ross's XJR14 was out classed in 1992 by the new Peugeot and Toyota car as the understanding of front diffusers was more understood. These cars were 50% heavier than F1 cars, with similar power, but quicker around Monza!
My charge for 92 and 93 was the TS010, a Tony Southgate design which I now think of as one of the best looking racing cars ever. But that is only a perspective.Image 13.jpg

I vaguely remember Frank Williams' response to a journalist's accusation that his cars were ugly. "A winning car is a beautiful car" he said, or something very similar. 'Twas a long time ago.

I think I was so close to the nuts and bolts of the racecars that I never really thought of what they looked like. It was all about performance. I spent 1991 out of racing and in the world of road cars developing the XJ220 which raised my awareness of peoples attitude as to the way a car looked....
Such was the pace of development in the Sportscar world, Ross's XJR14 was out classed in 1992 by the new Peugeot and Toyota car as the understanding of front diffusers was more understood. These cars were 50% heavier than F1 cars, with similar power, but quicker around Monza!
My charge for 92 and 93 was the TS010, a Tony Southgate design which I now think of as one of the best looking racing cars ever. But that is only a perspective.View attachment 156032
Paint that Purple/white you have a Silk Cut Jag mind it`s a while since ive seen one

Newey to leave Red Bull

Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.
Newey, regarded as the greatest Formula 1 designer in history, has told Red Bull he wants to move on, BBC Sport has learned.
The 65-year-old has been unsettled by the situation at Red Bull since Horner was accused of sexual harassment and coercive, abusive behaviour by a female employee, which Horner denies.
Red Bull and Newey did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The British design chief has been strongly linked with Ferrari and is known to have been made an offer by Aston Martin, but he is likely to be of interest to all leading teams now his availability is known.
Newey’s contract with Red Bull lasts until the end of 2025 but he is said to believe he can negotiate an exit that allows him to work with another team from next season.

Newey to leave Red Bull

Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.
Newey, regarded as the greatest Formula 1 designer in history, has told Red Bull he wants to move on, BBC Sport has learned.
The 65-year-old has been unsettled by the situation at Red Bull since Horner was accused of sexual harassment and coercive, abusive behaviour by a female employee, which Horner denies.
Red Bull and Newey did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The British design chief has been strongly linked with Ferrari and is known to have been made an offer by Aston Martin, but he is likely to be of interest to all leading teams now his availability is known.
Newey’s contract with Red Bull lasts until the end of 2025 but he is said to believe he can negotiate an exit that allows him to work with another team from next season.
Quelle surprise!! Yes, that has been bubbling under since the Horner nonsense broke.

That vile little Horner man is doing red bull racing real damage now.

Love to see Adrian Newey at Ferrari with Lewis for some title runs.
Unimaginable at the start of this year, but a real possibility now....the biggest obstacle now is the living in Italy bit.

Last edited:

Oops a bit late to the party, have been travelling. I think he might well end up at Ferrari
So the next thing is will it be house of cards syndrome?
Who will be next out the door? Horner? Max? or both? This is going to run for a little while yet!

Is there any possibility of politicking of the form 'me or him' at play here?

edit PS
Surely if Newey goes, then so must Horner, Newey's departure being on his watch and him being the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom