F1 Australian Grand Prix (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
So..

HAM on Pole Position, BOT didn't quite manage to find the pace but he is still new to the car.

Impressive from VET, let's hope he makes it a close race tomorrow.

Gutted for RIC, crashing out in Q3

Dismal performance from McLaren, Alonso wrung as much as he could from it!

Palmer wasn't happy and slated the car - won't do him any favours come contract renewal time. Compared to the Hulk in Q1, he was really poor but then he didn't have as much running.

Alonso did the best he could with a crap car.

Only 1 qually so far but it certainly bodes well for the prospects of a bit of inter-marque competition rather than just intra-marque agro like the last few years.

This time next year I'm hoping I can reinstate this flag on my office wall. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 10
Despite his grid second place Vettel did remark he hoped his car would not turn into a "truck" with a full fuel load! Before we congratulate ourselves on a more competitive grid this year perhaps we should wait to see how the cars perform in full race trim. :dk: Here's hoping! :thumb:

I admire your optimism Ant. It's not looking good for them right now.

I think you've missed the irony in my post Rodger.

Please note the very important third word on the flag. :D

I think you've missed the irony in my post Rodger.

Please note the very important third word on the flag. :D

Ah, I only got as far as McLaren.
A Mercedes engine would certainly bring them back to the front end of the grid.
The package seems very good apart from the Honda powerplant.

Qualifying times and positions

Australian GP Qualifying Timesheet

1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:22.188
2. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:22.456
3. Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 1:22.481
4. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:23.033
5. Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 1:23.485
6. Romain Grosjean, Haas, 1:24.074
7. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1:24.443
8. Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, 1:24.487
9. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 1:24.512
10. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, No time

Qualifying Two

11. Sergio Perez, Force India, 1:25.081
12. Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, 1:25.091
13. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1:25.425
14. Esteban Ocon, Force India, 1:25.568
15. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 1:26.465

Qualifying One

16. Antonio Giovinazzi, Sauber, 1:26.419
17. Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 1:26.847
18. Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren, 1:26.858
19. Lance Stroll, Williams, 1:27.143
20. Jolyon Palmer, Renault, 1:28.244

Honda completely redesigned their engine from the ground up this year after having been forced to stick with a poor design in 2016 by intially sticking with a flawed design and then being hamstrung by the now defunct token system.
This design has had virtually no running in testing due to reliability issues.
With all that in mind 13th is a mighty effort imho, (how much was down to FA is hard to know).
But either way, 1st proper run qualifying in midfield and no tokens restricting development I'd say this season might not be quite as bad for McHonda as some people seem to think.

Well, some hope for McHonda, but how many on track overtakes were there (ex DRS)?

Did anyone read the comments from Eric Boulier about Honda? - Essentially he was saying that they're not in an F1 mindset; they're slightly slioed and focussing on the engine and nothing else.

I got the impression that McLaren would prefer that Honda just deliverers upgrades and modifications as quickly as they can. - If they don't work, they don't work.
He (Boulier) was saying that in F1 getting a working part now is more important than getting a perfect part in a month's time.

I guess we'll see how it pans out today. - As above; cars in race trim don't necessity perform as well as they did in qualifying.

Good race, the Ferrari is genuinely fast, even in race trim!

Mercedes will be worried

Disappointed at the crowd mildly booing Lewis on the podium

Last edited:
Good race, the Ferrari is genuinely fast, even in race trim!

Mercedes will be worried

Disappointed at the crowd mildly booing Lewis on the podium

Anyone know what that was about? Left over from last year maybe or did something happen to piss off the Aussies?

Looking like a two team race so far.

He doesn't have a great reputation in the paddock; I've met a couple of marshals who have taken a dislike to Lewis (although I don't really know why).

Anyone know what that was about? Left over from last year maybe or did something happen to piss off the Aussies?

Looking like a two team race so far.

There is talk that LH asked to have team orders, when he realised that Bottas would pass him with younger tyres and good race strategy.

Last edited:
There is talk that LH asked to have team orders, when he realised that Bottas would pass him with younger tyres and good race strategy.

Aah the irony if true. He is very talented but does himself no favours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom