F1 canadian grand prix death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horgantrevor

MB Enthusiast
Car
w202 c43 & w210 E220 CDI estate w219 W221
Jun.10 (GMM) The F1 world is mourning its first fatality in over a decade, after a track marshal was killed in the wake of Sunday's Canadian grand prix.

Photographs depict the marshal, whose identity has not been revealed, holding the rear wheel of Esteban Gutierrez's car steady as a recovery vehicle returned the Sauber to the pits.
"The worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up," read a statement issued by the governing FIA.
"As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle."
The marshal was airlifted to hospital but he died shortly afterwards.
"It's terrible," race promoter Francois Dumontier is quoted by AP news agency.
"It tarnishes the superb weekend that we had. I am devastated to learn this. I don't have any other words."
F1's last fatality, in Melbourne in 2001, was also the death of a trackside marshal.

Sad though it is, it doesn't show a great deal of common sense or health and safety training for the marshal.

Yes a split decision made wrong

The driver of the telescopic must be in a bad way too

Their should have been spotters with the driver and marshal

no it was a telescopic teliporter the four wheel steer type it had the car suspended in the air as he drove along with the single marshal holding the rear wheel most of the car was over his head to be honest

their has to be a better way to retrieve a million pound car after the race

I take it the driver is blind or the marshal bent down right in front of the loader.

Lessons to be learned there.

Not sure of the H&S law in Canada, but I would expect a prosecution over that.

This is the picture I saw

Last edited:
Sad though it is, it doesn't show a great deal of common sense or health and safety training for the marshal.

+1 Tragic for the chap and terrible for his family but i thought these guys had in depth H&S training.

Yesterday on M1 passed a small flatbed on hard shoulder. Passenger was out of vehicle and looking at underside. As I approached, driver opened his door - came a few inches over line onto inside lane and driver, rather than getting out carefully, simply leaned right out of the vehicle (so his head was beyond the open door) to take a look. I was only doing about 65 but had to make sudden adjustment to avoid decapitating him :eek:. Left me pretty shaken for a bit I can tell you!

Reconstruction ironically the driver would have been safer reversing where his vision might have been unimpeded [YOUTUBE]uAh3ks8QXMk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Safe Use of Telehandlers in Construction
February 2011
Visibility
Visibility of Persons in the Vicinity of the Telehandler
Restricted visibility when the boom is raised or when large loads are carried, plus poor segregation have been identified as a major cause of accidents
involving pedestrians and telehandlers.
Telehandlers are often fitted with aids to improve visibility and the operator's
awareness of people in the vicinity of the telehandler. These aids should be in good working order and properly adjusted. It is the operator’s responsibility to check the condition of all secondaryaids to visibility and
NOT TO USE THE MACHINE if they are not present or not working correctly
It is the Supervisor’s responsibility to fully support theoperator in this action.
Some parts of a telehandler work cycle present particular challenges. A suspended load, for example, will clearly block some forward view, but the raised boom may also obscure the view to the side. If a telehandler is
to lift suspended loads on site, the physical dimensions of the loads and their effect upon visibility must form part of the Risk Assessment.
If a telehandler is used to load or unload a truck, the partially raised boom will obstruct view to the forward offside and may block the wing mirror giving visibility to the rear offside. The safest way of using a telehandler to load/offload is to keep the machine stationary and use
the telescopic facility of the boom, rather than using the wheels. The driver of the truck should remain in a designated safe location for such operations.
Whilst the Principal Contractor has the primary responsibility
to ensure adequate segregation and the Supervisor must ensure that it is enforced, it is remains the operator's responsibility to look around and check for the absence of pedestrians before moving and whilst manoeuvring and travelling. If the operator cannot see clearly, they should seek assistance or leave the cab to look around to confirm it is safe tocontinue the procedure.

http://www.vertikal.net/uploads/tx_...se-of-telehandlers-in-construction-110210.pdf

I watched the race live and saw the Telehandler going over to the stricken car with marshalls running alongside it across the grass and even that struck me as dodgy.

Yesterday on M1 passed a small flatbed on hard shoulder. Passenger was out of vehicle and looking at underside. As I approached, driver opened his door - came a few inches over line onto inside lane and driver, rather than getting out carefully, simply leaned right out of the vehicle (so his head was beyond the open door) to take a look. I was only doing about 65 but had to make sudden adjustment to avoid decapitating him :eek:. Left me pretty shaken for a bit I can tell you!

If it's at all possible, I always pull across to lane 2 if passing a vehicle on the hard shoulder. Never ceases to amaze me how HGVs will skim past stricken vehicles with absolutely no margin for error on anyone's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom