F1 Commentators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I see ITV have Damon Hill assisting pointless James Allen in the commentary box in Hungary. Now I come to think of it there is always a stand-in for Martin Brundle in Hungary.

Has he done something naughty that the Hungarians won't let him into the country?

Anyone know the story on this?

Thanks
Sean

He arranges a family holiday at this time. Not fully sure of the reasons behind it, but I would guess some anniversary is attached to it.

He arranges a family holiday at this time. Not fully sure of the reasons behind it, but I would guess some anniversary is attached to it.

Like, not attending the Hungarian GP..

Don't you wish Allen would take an (extended) Holiday? :devil:

Do we know who the BBC have lined up for next season to commentate? I hope it's not Allen; that man irritates the bejesus out of me.

Karl (recently reborn as Victor Meldrew)

Like, not attending the Hungarian GP..

more likely the school holidays, birthday, other family commitments etc.

I hope Allen gets a break next year, for about 60years.

Damon Hill did a good job today, I enjoyed his commentary and he brought a different perspective to the job....a change is as good as a rest.

Agree on the James Allen thing...chap is mildly annoying.

Hill and Brundle for the beeb then!

Does James Allen think all viewers have the attention span of a goldfish? So why does he keep repeating his story of every event from the race start every 10 minutes. I think he mentioned that Massa took the lead from Hamilton about 6 million times, in case anyone watching just switched on 0.5 seconds ago and missed that event.

his other thing is to repeat what Damon, or Martin says, when they say something that he has either not said before, or has not thought about saying.

And could you see Lewis tyres wearing out on the outside of the shoulder like he could?

waster.

I would tune into F1 if Bill Bailey and Father Jack Hacket were doing the commentating

For me anyway, I'm not sure DC has the charisma needed for commentary.
I'd enjoy listening to Eddie Irvine or Eddie Jordan as part of teh F1 team.

For me anyway, I'm not sure DC has the charisma needed for commentary.
I'd enjoy listening to Eddie Irvine or Eddie Jordan as part of teh F1 team.

Youve got to be joking about Eddie Irvine

Phil

Hill and Brundle for the beeb then!

Hmm, I didn't think Damon Hill was very good at the mic. He didn't quite have enough knowledge about the drivers, the cars etc., he had to be corrected several times by the idiot. How humiliating!
I like the 5live commentary team, I hope the BBC can make use of the excellent resources they already have. And Brundle of course, it wouldn't be the same without him. Oh, and how about Suzy Perry? :D

Youve got to be joking about Eddie Irvine

I would think Eddie would be great, he's very sharp and cutting sometimes. For some strange reason I think Mrs Dm might take more of an interest..

I would think Eddie would be great, he's very sharp and cutting sometimes. For some strange reason I think Mrs Dm might take more of an interest..

If he stopped talking about himself for long enough, mind just about anyone would be better than James Allen

Phil

Last edited:
Hmm, I didn't think Damon Hill was very good at the mic. He didn't quite have enough knowledge about the drivers, the cars etc., he had to be corrected several times by the idiot. How humiliating!
I like the 5live commentary team, I hope the BBC can make use of the excellent resources they already have.

You may notice that David Croft already does the GP2 for ITV as it happens. That is at least practice.

It might not be a bad idea of have Him and Brundle, and perhaps a guest on to help out, But both Eddies would want to hear themselves and not really say much.

Damon wasn't brilliant, but he actually never set out to be a commentator, unlike the reedy voiced woolyhaired fact quoter that does it at present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom