F1 engine noise.... :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Just watched this video clip of Melbourne '13 and then '14....

The engine noise comparison is very stark.. :D

My wife put it well - she thinks the new cars sound tired and bored! hahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI

Wait till they go electric...

That should give us a few 50 page threads on here.

Was the second wasp racing? Even crappier than it was now!

Not sure I'd be happy for my road car to sound like that! :D

For me, the previous cars were spine tingling, these new ones, clever though they are (And I'm a hybrid fan..) the sound is just too lame. But then that's inherent with turbos of course. Maybe a different exhaust system would help?

I love the new sound. Can't beat a bit of turbo noise, plus you can hear tyres, mechanical issues etc.
When Bottas hit the wall you could hear the puncture for example.

I worked in f1 for a few years and attended every race in 2003/4. Incredibly loud, being around it that much you had to wear ear protection, which defeated the object of the noise in the first place.

Just turn the tv up!

-t

I love the new sound. Can't beat a bit of turbo noise, plus you can hear tyres, mechanical issues etc.
When Bottas hit the wall you could hear the puncture for example.

Good points. :)

At one time I used to watch electric car racing and you could hear the gear changes actually happening. Not the engine noise changing, the actual gears meshing.

I agree - but it's not really the loudness, more the tone. I like the squealing of tyres etc, but I'd prefer a more aggressive sounding exhaust note.

Wait till they go electric...

That should give us a few 50 page threads on here.

I tended last year's Le Mans, the difference in engine sound between, say, the Aston Martin and the Audi E-tron was astonishing. The Audi sounded very "Sci-fi", almost whisper quiet!

I tended last year's Le Mans, the difference in engine sound between, say, the Aston Martin and the Audi E-tron was astonishing. The Audi sounded very "Sci-fi", almost whisper quiet!

Was it any less interesting as a result of that?

Was it any less interesting as a result of that?

Not in the slightest!! It was a magnificent spectacle, truly incredible atmosphere especially at night. My helicopter ride around the circuit in the afternoon was breath taking :)

We were at Le Mans 2 years ago, in the grandstand 100 yards after the start line - the quietneess of the Audis was astonishing, you would not hear them until they were almost in front of you. Conversley their main challenger - Peugeot - you heard from quite a distance, and the american V8's you'd hear a mile away!

As for this years' F1 engines - wife and I both thought they sounded like motor bikes and did not like the noise one little bit, far preferred the sounds of last years cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom