F1: Has Bernie gone mad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kjay

Car
C200k Coupe 2003
Ecclestone wants medals instead of points

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone wants the championship to be won by the driver who gets the most gold medals during the season.
"The FIA and all the teams are behind it and it will be done," Ecclestone told The Times newspaper.
"Everybody understands gold medals and silver and bronze. Nearly all sports are done that way.
"The whole point will be, when they get to Melbourne for the first race, the guys will want to leave there with a gold medal.
"They don't want to leave with ten, eight or six points."
Ecclestone has been pushing for a change to the current points system for some time, although his idea is yet to be officially presented to the FIA.
The Briton believes his medals idea would even improve the racing.
"Everybody is happy with the idea, they are all very supportive," he told Reuters. "I'm absolutely 100 percent sure it's the right way to go, it'll get them (the drivers) overtaking."
This year's championship was won by Lewis Hamilton, despite Ferrari rival Felipe Massa scoring one more victory.
--------------------------------------------

So, has he gone mad or is it a great idea??

his point is, the best driver wins the most races, wins the championship. that way you don't end up with the current world champ driving round to finish 5th.

I think this works quite well. Keeping the points for the constructor keeps them happy too.

and if you head into the last race of the year, on equal wins (like 2008 for example) then both those guys have to go for a win. which means a race, and perhaps that overtaking nonsense everyone keeps bleating about.

I think its a good idea. Qualifying changed for the better a few years ago so lets give the medals idea a go as well.

Lewis would have to win the last race in Brazil to become champion if this were the scoring system last year as Massa won one more race in the season. Going all out for a win throughout the season would hopefully see more exciting races rather than just settling for the points.

Maybe we need a poll?

What happens if two drivers end up with the same number of golds?

Presumably, they'll have to take into account the number of silvers each has won.

And if that's another draw, then they'll look at the number of bronzes.

So a kind of system where, say, golds are 3 points, silvers are 2 and bronzes are 1. Then at the end of the season, they can add up all the points, and... oh. Um...

:rolleyes:

What happens if two drivers end up with the same number of golds?

Presumably, they'll have to take into account the number of silvers each has won.

And if that's another draw, then they'll look at the number of bronzes.

So a kind of system where, say, golds are 3 points, silvers are 2 and bronzes are 1. Then at the end of the season, they can add up all the points, and... oh. Um...

:rolleyes:

same as they do in't olympics. 1Gold = more than any number of silvers, 1 silver = more than any number of bronzes.

So if they end up on the same golds, they look at the number of silvers.

But it still stops the race for 5th. If Hamilton had wanted the championship this year, he would have had to beat Massa at the last race. He had no choice.

However, he could roll round to 5th as it happened, which kind of did not make it much a race when you think about it.

he has also suggested that the fastest driver in any session gets a point, and a further point issued for Pole position. The team get that and it makes them want to go out in each session. It also means the back markers can have a chance at some points.

Of course Flav will only go for Gold, but what would Williams do?

Mmmm. I'm not convinced yet.

Example:

Driver 1 - 4 golds, 2 bronze and 10 DNF's

Driver 2 - 3 golds, 9 silvers, 3 bronze and 1 DNF

Driver 1 would win championship!!

Example:

That sounds fine to me! Driver 1 is probably the best driver in an unreliable car. He wins the Drivers' Championship, but his team probably don't win the Constructors' Championship.

It makes it more interesting if the two championships use different methods to determine the winners.

The only downside is if the Stewards in a race decide to strip a driver of a win for very dubious reasons! ;)

That sounds fine to me! Driver 1 is probably the best driver in an unreliable car. He wins the Drivers' Championship, but his team probably don't win the Constructors' Championship.

No, the DNF's were all crashes;)

And Drivers 2 DNF was where driver one took him out:eek: :D

Example:

I guess its the same as the world cups. you don't have to win all the matches to still be in the final. but in the end, it comes down to the best 2 and they fight for the win.

Keke Rosberg won the championshipm in the year he only won 1 race. some people think that was unfair. at the end of the year, he had the most points.

It is the same as having the most wins. But what you are doing is saying that seconds and thirds are as good as wins. Bernies believes that 1 win is better that 16 second finishes and 1 second finish is better than 16 3rds.

it could be, however, you get a champion like this.

Driver 1, 1 win, 0 second 0 third 1 fourth 14 5th.
driver 2, 1 win, 0 second, 0 3rd, 0 4th and 15 5ths,
driver 3, 0 wins, 16 2nds 0 rds, 0 4th and 0 5th etc.

driver 1 still wins.

it could even be,

driver 1, 5 wins, 10 DNF's
driver 2, 4 wins, 12 2nds,
driver 3 4 wins, 10 2nd, 2 3rds
driver 4, 3 wins, 13DNF's

Driver 1 still wins. driver 2 nd, driver 2 3rd, and driver 4 4th. driver 1 and 4 only won the races they finished and did not finish any of the others.

What it should bring is the premium on the win. Therefore it should get the drivers racing and not driving for 2nd.

it works for me. Far better than constantly changing regulations to make the cars the same. why not let them get on with it and 1st one to the flag wins.

It makes it more interesting if the two championships use different methods to determine the winners.

The only downside is if the Stewards in a race decide to strip a driver of a win for very dubious reasons! ;)

Or Driver one is quick on 4 circuits but inconsistent and keeps sticking it into the tyre wall whereas Driver 2 is excellent across the board but perhaps in a slower car.

If they want to make F1 more interesting, do they need to limit aerodynamics, go to a control tyre, get rid of pit stops and introduce random weather hazards? ;) - the only exciting races I can remember from last season involve inconsistent rain and dry tyres.

The could also introduce power ups and special weapons.. Its a Knockout funny outfits and an element of Scrapheap Challenge during qualifying? :D

And more drivers with personality defects - feuding, podium sulking and pit lane brawls would be fun.

Less cutting to shots of WAGs looking concerned at pitlane telly screens, it somehow fails to add human drama..

Messing about with the scoring system seems like a bit of rebranding. I imagine most drivers would trade their granny for a win rather than 'settle' for points under the current system. (LH aside in his last race):)

Ade

Lets say there are 16 rounds, what if a driver wins the first 9 races, he is Champion just over halfway through the season. He can poodle around in 18th. place for the rest of the season if he so wishes, and he's still won.

I think it's just swapping one set of problems for another. status quo.....

If it's not broken, don't fix it....

Ciao.

What would the position have been in 2007 ?

I think we are sometimes missing the point ....is F1 a race? or what?

If a race then surely its about winning not coming second....

Ecclestone

has he gone mad ??

just felt like rephrasing the question somewhat. Hope you don't mind.

And yes he has. A number of years ago I felt he had.

was confirmed at the 2005 US GP for my money.:(

he has also suggested that the fastest driver in any session gets a point, and a further point issued for Pole position. The team get that and it makes them want to go out in each session. It also means the back markers can have a chance at some points.

Of course Flav will only go for Gold, but what would Williams do?

Errr..... Bernie, if the system is Gold, Silver and Bronze, where do these points come into it? :confused:

Errr..... Bernie, if the system is Gold, Silver and Bronze, where do these points come into it? :confused:

the points are awarded as they are now, but only to the team. not to the driver.

so if Lewis and Heiki come first and second, team gets 18 points, drivers gets a gold and the first of the losers (silver) award.

Nah, it'll never catch on. Fortunately, Bernie will have other things to worry about in the near future.

Reading the papers it would seem that to avoid paying lots of tax, most of the barrow-boy's assets are in his soon-to-be-ex-wife's name, as she's registered as a non-dom. Should make the Mills/McCartney performance look like a love-in. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

Lets say there are 16 rounds, what if a driver wins the first 9 races, he is Champion just over halfway through the season. He can poodle around in 18th. place for the rest of the season if he so wishes, and he's still won.

I think it's just swapping one set of problems for another. status quo.....

If it's not broken, don't fix it....

Ciao.

same applies now. If the driver leading has more points than are left with wins, he is it. Mansell won by Hungary. If I remember correctly, he could only possibly have won completly, one race sooner as it was.

this, and one other recent season had them change the win to have less points premium so that the races continued to the later stages of the season. Bernie is just trying to get it round to meaning that a win is what counts and the rest of the places are also rans. They mean nothing towards the end of the year.

They has a similar idea years ago. The best 11 places only could be counted. so the driver with the most points, did not always win the championship. Back then, when that system was created, you could enter a few of the races and not all of them. so it gave you a fair chance of winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom