F1 moves to Donnington Park in 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
is this good or bad news for fans?

Bad news.

But then Bernie probably has an interest in Donnington Park, hence the move.

I think Silverstone dared to stand up to both Eccles-cake and Mouse-Ley; this is pay back! Is Donnington Park a better circuit? Will the owners jump, when they are told to jump?

Is the circuit suited to overtaking?

regards
John

I thought that Silverstone was in negoitation? It seems that every time they are due to do that these rumours circulate - I will believe it when I see it!

David

All you're doing is moving the traffic chaos from the A43 to the M1/A50.

Which brings it to within 15 miles of my door step.

NIMBY thanks... :(

It seems like the contract has been signed

There is a precedent - Nicola Foulston signed a contract with Bernie back in 1999. It was a contract to hold the British GP at Brands Hatch. Deal done, she sold Brands to Octagon for just under $200 Million and bailed out. As we know, the GP never returned to Brands

Despite this I suspect the GP will end up at Donington

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

It seems like the contract has been signed

There is a precedent - Nicola Foulston signed a contract with Bernie back in 1999. It was a contract to hold the British GP at Brands Hatch. Deal done, she sold Brands to Octagon for just under $200 Million and bailed out. As we know, the GP never returned to Brands

Despite this I suspect the GP will end up at Donington

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I still suspect shenanigans:

Mosley said: "After many years of patient but fruitless negotiation with the BRDC (British Racing Drivers' Club), we are delighted that Bernie has nevertheless been able to ensure that the British Grand Prix will keep its place on the Formula One World Championship calendar.
"We understand that the development program planned for Donington will achieve the very high standards we and FOM (Formula One Management) expect from a modern F1 circuit.

In other words if Eccles-cake does not have an executive suite bathroom etc plus his own personal entrance\exit then I guess pressure will be applied just like we have witnessed in a few European countries.

The big money for this circus is in the up and coming countries, but there are only so many races a year that can be held, so take the race away from Silverstone, sign contracts with Donnington then at the eleventh hour release a press statement saying how Donnington had promised to upgrade their circuit but have failed to do so!!!!! Then allow India to have a Grand Prix.

Am I a cynic or what?

Where is my little Scumbag with his wit and adoration for Mad Max?

Regards
John

As John says, this could be a cynical move to ditch the British GP altogether and I wouldn't put that past either Max or Bernie. However, assuming it does actually come to fruition is it a good or bad thing? Well...

Good points:
  1. In my view Silverstone is a rubbish circuit to spectate at and Donnington (or Brands for that matter) are much better
  2. Donnington is a great circuit with rises and dips that Silverstone lacks
Bad points:
  1. Donnington is a great motorcycle race circuit which F1 will probably mess up through a combination of damage to the tarmac and the creation of the massive run-off areas and spectator fences that it requires
  2. Most of the UK's F1 industry is based close to Silverstone
  3. Access to Donnington Park is even worse than access to Silverstone (if that can be believed)
Overall then, a bit of a curate's egg.

Good thing as it is a much better spectator circuit.

Anyone going this weekend?

I am. 17th year in a row....

I still suspect shenanigans:

Mosley said: "After many years of patient but fruitless negotiation with the BRDC (British Racing Drivers' Club), we are delighted that Bernie has nevertheless been able to ensure that the British Grand Prix will keep its place on the Formula One World Championship calendar.
"We understand that the development program planned for Donington will achieve the very high standards we and FOM (Formula One Management) expect from a modern F1 circuit.

In other words if Eccles-cake does not have an executive suite bathroom etc plus his own personal entrance\exit then I guess pressure will be applied just like we have witnessed in a few European countries.

The big money for this circus is in the up and coming countries, but there are only so many races a year that can be held, so take the race away from Silverstone, sign contracts with Donnington then at the eleventh hour release a press statement saying how Donnington had promised to upgrade their circuit but have failed to do so!!!!! Then allow India to have a Grand Prix.

Am I a cynic or what?

Where is my little Scumbag with his wit and adoration for Mad Max?

Regards
John

I totally agree

I very much doubt Donnington could hold a F1 meet or could be brought up to F1 standard without more or less levelling the place and starting again

I wonder how happy the teams based at Silverstone are right now ??

Very.

But I am not up in the world of F1. I just like the racing and the cars etc, not all the politics of it all. Maybe I am not of Max's and Bernies thinking?
Formula 1 is a huge, huge business which uses the guise of motor racing to attract sponsorship.

For years Bernie has been trying to get Silverstone more 'Corporate friendly'. This means having a huge investment just to cater for very rich people and making the circuit look 'futuristic! The BRDC are investing millions into Silverstone but they are not dancing to Eccles-cake's tune and the improvements although practical might not have the looks of the modern circuits that dance to the piper's tune and that decision will cost the BRDC!

Will Donnington be able to afford these upgrades? Will the intra-structure be able to cope with the massive influx of people\aircraft and trucks? Who remembers the furore when Bernie got delayed when he arrived for the British Grand Prix?

At Hungary which is a useless circuit, Eccles-cake has the use of the Presidential car and its cavalcade! Will they loose their Grand Prix?

The only loyalty these characters have is to themselves!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom