F1 Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
I was working today until 4pm and recorded F1 qualifying. The kids are in bed, so l'm getting to watch it in peace,however.....l've been watching F1 since the early 80's and something just struck me about F1 tyres.
Watching the cars in their respective garages before Q1 and l noticed (as usual) that the cars had tyre warmers on. The tyres each had blankets on with front left, front right etc. clearly printed on them. Are F1 tyres sided like modern road car tyres and if so, how can a slick tyre be sided? :confused:

Perhaps the fronts and rears have different temperature settings

The underlying construction of the tyre may mean that they are directional.

pressures will be different for clockwise and anti-clockwise circuits.

Track length, number of corners and rotation of them, speed of corners, fuel loading, expected race duration, number of different sets of tires left after qualifying, gearing, maximum expected attainable speed, air temperature, track temperature, track friction, g-forces, braking intensity, gosh I haven't even put the wheels, hubs or brakes on yet. Then I'll choose the driver...

Track length, number of corners and rotation of them, speed of corners, fuel loading, expected race duration, number of different sets of tires left after qualifying, gearing, maximum expected attainable speed, air temperature, track temperature, track friction, g-forces, braking intensity, gosh I haven't even put the wheels, hubs or brakes on yet. Then I'll choose the driver...

Do you have a PS3 or an X-Box?

Its neither an answer to my first or second question:dk:

I would imagine that the answers are:
1; Yes
2; 'Sided' would depend on the tyre carcass construction, ie canvas overlap direction, followed by rubber / synthetic compound application.

I'm afraid I can't give you the definitive answer because I don't know but I do know an awful lot goes into tyre design and I would imagine even more so into F1 tyre design.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come along and tell us and / or prove me completely wrong...

I don't think it has anything to do with the tyres, more to do with the tyre warmers being identified to eliminate errors.

Quote:
As a rule, it takes approximately one-and-a-half to two hours to heat up the tread area of the tyre and for the pressures to reach their optimum levels. The tyres are then put on the car with the tyre blankets still attached, except at a pit stop, when the blankets are removed 15 seconds before the car arrives in the pit lane.

The blankets cost approximately £2200 per set, and with the teams needing between 36 and 40 sets each, they are a costly - but vital - feature of the F1 pit lane.

So the tyre warmers identify each wheel and tyre before being fitted to the car.

I don't think it has anything to do with the tyres, more to do with the tyre warmers being identified to eliminate errors.

Quote:
As a rule, it takes approximately one-and-a-half to two hours to heat up the tread area of the tyre and for the pressures to reach their optimum levels. The tyres are then put on the car with the tyre blankets still attached, except at a pit stop, when the blankets are removed 15 seconds before the car arrives in the pit lane.

The blankets cost approximately £2200 per set, and with the teams needing between 36 and 40 sets each, they are a costly - but vital - feature of the F1 pit lane.

So the tyre warmers identify each wheel and tyre before being fitted to the car.
talk about rip off £2200

Argos electric blanket & Duvet less than £40. Fancy cover with an F1 sticker and curly wire and you have your own, for a fraction :)

But i suspect they're handed to suit the rotational shear forces in the design.

I've always wondered what they do with them after use, since they get through so many. I bet they're not remoulded.

F1 slicks aren't unique in being sided or directional for example... Fitment guide | Avon Motorsport
I've always wondered what they do with them after use, since they get through so many
Looks like some of 'em get sold off as souvenirs... F1 Wheels and Tyres | F1 Planet I would have thought the majority that aren't lucky enough to find a punter get recycled although whether they're mixed up with white van mans tyres or kept seperate to make, say, 'formula one playground chippings' is another question though

I'm sure i remember seeing a better/more in depth one from the Bridgestone or Goodyear days but... HOW THE PIRELLI PZERO FORMULA ONE TYRE IS MADE - YouTube

Those loading differences will of course vary from circuit to circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom