F1 - 'You must be bitterly disappointed....'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I have found a new irritant - lost count of the number of times BBC's Lee Mackenzie has said this to F1 drivers.....

Grrh

V Meldrew

i know

ive never liked it in the 25 years ive been watching it

although with the new boost & nippier cars todays was ok

I didn't bother watching as its either no more than follow-the-leader or somewhere you get REALLY bad accidents.
And I don't really want to see either.
The only reason I might have watched it was to see whether LH managed to claw back some of his lost placing.
But as the weather was soooooo nice, I was out instead...........

Highlights of the Monaco F1 are on BBC3 at 7.00pm, followed by "how to weed your garden" starting at 7.05pm.

I didn't bother watching as its either no more than follow-the-leader or somewhere you get REALLY bad accidents.
And I don't really want to see either.
The only reason I might have watched it was to see whether LH managed to claw back some of his lost placing.
But as the weather was soooooo nice, I was out instead...........
I have always criticised the strategies used by this driver's pit crew and today was no exception... Why on earth didn't they fuel that car to the brim and start from the pit lane? With one pit stop he could possibly have done a whole lot better?

They scrap Silverstone but keep this race?? I wonder why

I have always criticised the strategies used by this driver's pit crew and today was no exception... Why on earth didn't they fuel that car to the brim and start from the pit lane? With one pit stop he could possibly have done a whole lot better?

Because he would have ruined his tyres well before he had to stop for gas.

Because he would have ruined his tyres well before he had to stop for gas.
Yet other teams that did this managed to finish in front of him

F1 - 'You must be bitterly disappointed....'
Yup. But I have been that way ever since the notorious Ferrari 'arrangement' at the A1-Ring several years ago when Barrichello stopped on the line to wait half a minute for Schumacher to take the win. I have never been able to see F1 with quite the same eyes since then.

I don't believe F1 has ever recovered from that - and successive - incidents. It's as if the 'sport' is actually trying to turn itself into a joke.

I am, these days, much more gripped by MotoGP. But even that is going to be ruined when the British GP goes to Silverstone. :wallbash:

Anyway, to get back on thread - you're absolutely right. That woman was bloody awful, and definitely the successor to that complete feck-wit James Allen.

Last edited:

Ask Bernie.

Why do we have two races SE Asia which they're trying to fiddle with on times for the European audience if the Europeans are allegedly so unimportant?

Why does F1 seem to thing the taxpayers should subsidise its circuits?

I think there is a reason to keep Monaco - it is a severe test of the drivers. However they should reintroduce completely manual gearboxes with real gear levers and real manual clutches.

I think there is a reason to keep Monaco - it is a severe test of the drivers. However they should reintroduce completely manual gearboxes with real gear levers and real manual clutches.
As you say, it would be more of a test if there was a conventional manual gearbox, brakes that over heated and cars that were much narrower.

I would respectfully suggest this location is a huge corporate week-end where millions and millions of pounds are spent. I would love to know what penthouse suite was reserved thisyear for Herr Mouse-Ley and how many ladies of the night did he entertain all at the expense of the FIA. Monaco is a spectacular venue, but is it suitable for modern Formula 1 cars? I think commentators will have their work cut out to make this race entertaining if they did away with pit stops :)

As a side issue I wonder how much revenue was taken in just berthing fees for all those amazing super yachts?

Monaco is a spectacular venue, but is it suitable for modern Formula 1 cars?

Well you could look at it a different way. Is Valencia or Singapore or in fact are any of the most recently created circuits that good?

I miss the old Hockenheim. I really miss Imola - spring isn't the same without it. And I have to admit I would miss Monaco.

I would happily lose Singapore, Bahrain, and China.

And rather than reinstating the French GP I'd like to see F1 cars do a longer than normal GP race at le Mans.

And if they go to the US again then put the cars on one of the larger ovals and do it their way.

That way F1 would have several major tests of driver/car over the season ranging from a butch of a real street circuit like Monaco through traditional European style circuits of varying sizes to a US banked oval.

Monaco is the race for Sponsors. It is the one place that you want to see and be seen. It is glamour, glitz, bling, celebrity and faux royalty. If you ask your sponsors which race they want to attend, this is the one and can I bring my girlfriend please. Everything else is for oily rags.
On the subject of which, why the big fan club for Silverstone? I have never been to a more inaccessible circuit with some of the worst viewing and spectator facilties i.e. unless you wnat to bring a trailer loaded with cash.
Far better was Brands Hatch, possibly the best viewing circuit in the world, from whom it was stolen, was it not, to go to Silverstone?

Brand Hatch did not invest the money to bring the circuit up to the standards required in the late 80's so it lost it. Silverstone gained as it had. Donnington put on the '93 European but did not keep up with the latest ideas and so it didn't get any further.

Silverstone has not kept up with latest ideas and so.......

I can see a pattern emerging.

Silverstone has not kept up with latest ideas and so.......

These 'latest' ideas seem to include:

• emasculating a great circuit (Hockenheim)
  • designing relatively bland new circuits (Bahrain, Turkey, China)
  • introducing abominations (Valencia)

Monaco is the race for Sponsors. It is the one place that you want to see and be seen. It is glamour, glitz, bling, celebrity and faux royalty. If you ask your sponsors which race they want to attend, this is the one and can I bring my girlfriend please. Everything else is for oily rags.
On the subject of which, why the big fan club for Silverstone? I have never been to a more inaccessible circuit with some of the worst viewing and spectator facilties i.e. unless you wnat to bring a trailer loaded with cash.
Far better was Brands Hatch, possibly the best viewing circuit in the world, from whom it was stolen, was it not, to go to Silverstone?
Is Donnington Park more accessible to the huge numbers of cars\lorries, coaches, buses etc???

Silverstone might not be the best circuit in the World but by crikey it is nowhere, but nowhere near the worse.

if you want corportae entertainment, plush toilets, comfy sitting areas then yes perhaps Silverstone is lacking but as a track it must be in the better half of the current circuits.

Monaco is indeed ALL ABOUT being seen to be seen and what has that got to do with actual motor racing?

Bernie has done a wonderful job of making Formula 1 a huge, profitable business but sadly, if we are all perfectly honest with ourselves... It is just a lot of highspeed advertising boards going around in circles.

To justify this statement, switch off the volume completely and then sit back and watch.

Change channels and then watch MotoGp :devil::D

Bernie has done a wonderful job of making Formula 1 a huge, profitable business but sadly, if we are all perfectly honest with ourselves... It is just a lot of highspeed advertising boards going around in circles.

To justify this statement, switch off the volume completely and then sit back and watch.

Hardly the only sport that's sold its soul.

Watch a Six Nations rugby match these days and the advertising is dyed into the pitch. The matches are now played on advertising hoardings.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom