F1's crazy decisions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
A cameraman gets hit by a stray wheel and suffers injuries to shoulder and ribs.

FIA decide to ban media with TV cameras from pitlane. Paper and still photo journalists are still permitted.

FIA decide to also make everyone in the pitlane wear helmets. That will certainly help chest or back injuries ...

Why don't they just ensure all the teams fit the ******g wheels properly and have a system to ensure this ?

:dk:

Last edited:
Come on, think about it......

That would slow down pit stops, so teams would make fewer stops, which would mean the tyres would have to last longer, with the result that the finishing order would be decided more on the track, and not by how quick pit crews can change wheels.

What do you think F1 is, cars and drivers racing against each other?

On a less cynical note, I seem to recall a few years ago wheels had to be tethered to the car so that in an accident the wheel didn't escape. I have no idea how it worked, but it seems that system needs looking at to make sure even if the wheel's not fully home the strap or whatever will still operate.

AKAIK they've also reduced the speeds from 100kph to 80kph.

Removing unnecessary people from the pit lane seems perfectly sensible to me.

Come on, think about it......

That would slow down pit stops, so teams would make fewer stops, which would mean the tyres would have to last longer, with the result that the finishing order would be decided more on the track, and not by how quick pit crews can change wheels.

What do you think F1 is, cars and drivers racing against each other?

On a less cynical note, I seem to recall a few years ago wheels had to be tethered to the car so that in an accident the wheel didn't escape. I have no idea how it worked, but it seems that system needs looking at to make sure even if the wheel's not fully home the strap or whatever will still operate.

That's still the case, but the tether joins the hub to the car and needs the wheel to be bolted to the hub correctly. If they cannot even get the wheel attached to the hub correctly in the first place, the rest of the tethering system won't work.

Still, will be good to not see that Sky muppet's ugly mug if he has to wear a helmet!

Banning TV camera bods is actually quite a good idea as they are most likely to be unaware of their surroundings as they concentrate on what they are recording.

S

Why not just ban pit stops?? Except for punctures or weather changes.

Make the tyre manufacturors produce a decent tyre that will last the whole race.

And make the cars carry enough fuel to last the race without having to turn the power down!

While we're at it, get rid of those idiotic looking front wings that break and spread c/f all over the track. Front wings should be a single element, with a manually adjustable flap on the trailing edge, mounted directly to the bodywork, and narrower than the front wheel track.

Fitting the rear tyres the right way round at the correct pressure as the manufacturer recommends might help as well with all those punctures---------Oh they've done that already. :p Wonder where they gained all the video evidence that practice was widespread? ;)

There's no need for anyone to be in the pit lane that is not associated with the mechanics of a pit stop, look at the teams when they stop anyone not involved is in the back of the garage. With modern technology there is no need to put humans in the firing line and from most of the reporters and press I've seen in the pit lane they wander about obliviously just getting in the way, remove the lot of them would be my answer

There appears to be a theme here of the teams and the FIA doing almost anything they can to deflect attention away from their own failings. Tyres (not their fault) Testing tyres (not their fault). Wheels falling off (Ban the Cameramen)

On the face of it the move is quite sensible but the FIA people have to be careful. The sport runs on publicity and sponsorship so anything that removes part of the spectacle from the viewing public should be carefully thought out. Such is the "procession" of many races now the pit lane seems to be where most of the action takes place. :dk: The prospect of the viewing public missing out on the Christian Horner "jumping leg" shot should not be taken lightly either. :p Bernie will not be pleased.:(

On the face of it the move is quite sensible but the FIA people have to be careful. The sport runs on publicity and sponsorship so anything that removes part of the spectacle from the viewing public should be carefully thought out. Such is the "procession" of many races now the pit lane seems to be where most of the action takes place. :dk: The prospect of the viewing public missing out on the Christian Horner "jumping leg" shot should not be taken lightly either. :p Bernie will not be pleased.:(

You just use overhead cameras mounted out of the way or pit wall mounted remotes and/or fit small personal cameras to selected team members just like other forms of Motorsport, I'm not suggesting for one minute the viewing public should miss out on the action but there is no need for a human to be on the other end of the camera.

Yeah,ban camera men,how can they have spacial awareness of any in coming hazard if they are focusing on Christian horners foot? pit crew only,is the way to go,agree remote cameras would be the solution.

They havent banned camera men. They will still be there but have to stand on the pit wall like photographers do. But in this day an age they shouldnt even need to use camera men, remotely operated cameras outside each pit garage and helmets cams on people performing the pit stop would be better.

Edit: Just seen FOM's new statement. Before they had decided they could remain but on the pit wall.

Last edited:
Remote cameras might indeed be a part solution to the "problem" but remember fixed cameras can always be negated and controlled. Step forward - Redbull's Big Heiny - the guy who always seems to between the camera and that vital action shot. Will the pit camera's be controlled by the BBC/SKY/NBC or by Bernie's controlled TV feed to the world? Or will it be "Alpha Prema" letting you see what we want you to see? Is the real objection here not so much safety but the outside world seeing stuff the teams would prefer they didn't? Just asking?

This is a classic example of reacting to the outcome rather than the event.

What would they have done if the wheel had hit not a cameraman, but a mechanic? Or a pit-wall team member? Would they be banned? Of course not. The fundamental problem of cars being released while unsafe still remains.

Banning cameramen is akin to turning up the radio to cure noisy big ends.

What would they have done if the wheel had hit not a cameraman, but a mechanic? Or a pit-wall team member? Would they be banned? Of course not. The fundamental problem of cars being released while unsafe still remains.

I agree with the first part of your post the fundamental problem is unsafe release of cars.

But why have cameramen there if they don't need to be if technology has advanced and you can take the human out of the loop so far safer.

By your analogy leaving the cameraman in there is like retaining the starting handle on a car, yes it's functional and has a purpose but it's been superseded by more technological developments that work better and have a very minuscule risk of injury associated with them.

1st rule of Motorsport safety engineering can the human be removed from the potential hazard or danger?

The technology is there to put automation in, but ultimately much of the quality will come from the skill of the cameraman putting himself and his camera in the right place.

I'm betting they know their job is dangerous and accept a certain amount of risk. Clearly they'd I'm sure prefer for teams to attach their wheels properly...

I rarely watch the F1 money making machine anymore, so I guess will not affect me.

Extending the argument and taking it to the extreme, television itself isn't strictly necessary for F1 to happen. They could quite happily drive round without their activities being broadcast to world+dog, but the TV money would be missing, as would most of the sponsorship and advertising money too. Cameras were in the pit lane because it added to the product that is modern F1. The comedy tyres and PlayStation overtake buttons are a direct result of TV viewers getting bored and watching something else, with the advertisers and sponsors insisting Bernie does something to get them back. Like it or not, F1 needs TV more than TV needs F1.

I just see this announced as a result of a basic FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis).

Risk can't be entirely eliminated but it's effects can be reduced. Removing some people out of harms way is a sensible precaution. It's one of F1's better announcements IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom