Fabric Convertible Roof Dye Refresh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
Hello!

I thought this might help some people out. The fabric roof always let my car down and has only got worse since purchasing it, with mould and stains all over. I tried several cleaners and renovators however couldn't get the result I wanted.

I purchased a bottle of 'Black Canvas Dye' from leathercareandrepair.co.uk and applied as the instructions but with a sponge not brush to stop splatters on the paint. Overall I am blown away with the result, it looks completely fresh, obviously small marks are still present but the colour is jet black with no patches or variations in coats. 250ml for 2/3 coats on a small roof. It's definitely the way to go once the hood is completely clean! (p.s. nothing to do with the company)

Here's some pictures:

Before

50/50

After

That looks really good, how many coats did you apply and what roof protection did you use afterwards?

I applied a coat to the seams and stitching first, one heavy coat overall and one more lighter coat to recover everything quickly. It took about half the bottle (250ml) in total on a small roof. I was applying heavy coats in general.

I'm going to apply a few coats of Autoglym Top Protector as I already have it from before which works well.

Looks good! I well remember doing the navy blue canvas roof of my 968 cab about 8-9 years ago not long after I bought it. I used the Renovo 3 stage stuff - their soap scrubbed on with a stiff sponge I bought as part of the kit - took forever to hose it off. Left it to thoroughly dry (overnight) then applied the colour coat with a foam brush (with a cloth in the other hand, the stuff is thinner than water and gets everywhere, I should have done a better job of masking up!), gave it a couple of coats then, one dry, their proofer. It lasted really well, I topped up the proofer a couple of times over the years, then just before I sold it last year gave it a good scrub with their soap again and was amazed how well it came up, not quite as well as when I first did it, but after 8 years I was impressed!

Hope you get the same life on yours, it certainly looks good, and thanks for sharing your experience, we often get questions on here about softtop maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom