Face lift e-class... Can it be obtained with bonnet mounted star

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nm488

Car
E-class
Now that the dust has settled, I wonder if anyone knows if it I possible to get new e-class with a normal grill (no aggressive oversized star) and the classic three pointed star on the bonnet. I realise that it doesn't come from from the showroom like this. I am wondering if can be ordered direct from Germany, or if anyone knows if it is possible/practical to get the correct parts to change the car.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on this.

I have the new facelifted E. It's not as bad looking as all that, have you seen one in the flesh?

I don't think it's possible to get a different grill.

hi Nm488...

yes you can, but you will need to change a few parts

1. loose the avantarde/sports front bumper and get an se bumper.. easy change.
2. buy THE SE GRILL
3. buy a bonnet top star//

voila.. complete change.. and you will have one very very fine looking car.

im not a fan of the massive star on the grill..and if i had a facelift model, i would do this change..

you will have a nice sporty rear end and a smart sophisticated front...

obviously each to their own, but the big badge on the bonnet is ridiculous for an "e"

2014-E-Class-Wagon-FutureModel-Exterior-01.jpg

images

2048_detroit-2013-12C1356_09.jpg

images

Last edited:
Ironically, over the last 10-20 years people went out of their way to do the opposite - fitting big star grilles and SEC bonnets etc to models with the upright star emblem! :eek: :doh:

I think as with many new designs, they grow on you after a while. Whilst maybe not so elegant, the facelift does look good still IMHO. Moving with the times I guess :)

It is definitely one of those cars that is better in the metal, it doesn't photograph well.
I have a white Reno RS250 which is the same, and attracts similar comment and I will also agree.

I do a little photography, but am still puzzled as to the technical reasons for this.
Must be simply to do with lighting. A white E class looks dreadful in any light, even in the metal.

I am new to the marque, mainly as the new designs appeal. So in my case its a positive change.

Reading on a few forums this is just typical of comment from existing owners.
Many hanker for the familiar and cannot see past the cosmetic. The improvements go beyond panel.
Some are miffed that their cars are now apparently 'outdated' and probably devalued in resale terms too, and will slate any change.

But its always the same. Remember the 'dog' of the new BMW 1er?
Wow - what a success story that has been for BMW.

Last edited:
Yes i have to agree the E class with the star looks like a premium brand car.
The new one looks run of the mill, and a bit to flash for an E class,dont know what Mercedes where thinking of it just doesn't work.
Follow the star !

Like the C class---- its very much a MB UK market driven thing you won't find in Germany for example. Take a look at the MB German site to see the choice of trim and engines UK buyers are being denied. Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Personenwagen
Its why the UK "Konfigurator" is always being unavailable/updated. They are busy horsing it around to remove many of the choices available in other markets. :(

Thanks to The Boss for explaining how this can be done.

Do you know if these parts likely to be available for order by UK dealers and what is the chance of finding s dealer who is willing to do the research and then install the parts?

Thanks for any further guidance or help you can give. The E-Class hybrid remain my favoured choice - I have looked at other makes and they are not what I want with the possible exception of the A6, but they don't seem to have a viable hybrid. Or a an old model e or c-class with optional luxury pack.

In answer to the other comments in the thread about getting used to the new grill, slating change and hanker for the familiar.... I actually didnt mean to slag the change. It is a simple matter of taste and choice. I like the reassuring pleasure of seeing the bonnet mounted star when I drive. I think the new style is aggressive - which may suit some. My problem is that this is a poor decision by Mercedes UK. The fact is that this choice remains in other markets, at least in Germany and the US. We live in an age when consumers demand more choice and more options, not less, and this has actually always been one of the brand characteristics when buying a Mercedes. All I am asking for is both options. But if not available, I am happy to pay for the mod. yes it is the important to me.

NM

I agree. I don't understand why we don't get the choice in the UK. Personally I prefer the traditional grille and star as well. Not sure if MB UK did their market research too well.....

MBUK has also dramatically reduced choice on the R231 SL .. fewer exterior colours, and much more limited interior colours.

Few things are as reassuring when driving than seeing that star. I cannot stand mercs without it. Upsets me no end

hi Nm488...

yes you can, but you will need to change a few parts

1. loose the avantarde/sports front bumper and get an se bumper.. easy change.
2. buy THE SE GRILL
3. buy a bonnet top star//

voila.. complete change.. and you will have one very very fine looking car.

im not a fan of the massive star on the grill..and if i had a facelift model, i would do this change..

you will have a nice sporty rear end and a smart sophisticated front...

obviously each to their own, but the big badge on the bonnet is ridiculous for an "e"

I have a feeling that changing the front end "post factory" could turn out to be a very expensive exercise as that front end is quite complicated lots of rewiring running lights parking sensors etc Parts will be available but may have to be sourced from Germany since UK dealers will have no reason to stock them. Might also have an effect on the trade in value also unless the car was restored to its factory spec on selling it. Much easier on the C class where its just a grill swap and adding a bonnet emblem and easily reversed :dk: It's such a pity its not a factory option.:(

I think you can, if you have an "SE" in the UK - which is an "Avantgarde" elsewhere including Ireland, just swap the grille over ad it should be obtainable through your local dealer. The bonnet star's a simple addition - the dealer will have one and can fit it within minutes. I've kept the grille but have got the bonnet badge replaced with the star because I missed it from my 211. I thought the combi of big badge and star was too much to start with but I really like it now - particularly from the drivers seat... If you wanted to try that to start with you may like it - if not then go the whole way. Either way you'll be driving a great car. Show us some photos of what you end up with.

I think you can, if you have an "SE" in the UK - which is an "Avantgarde" elsewhere including Ireland, just swap the grille over ad it should be obtainable through your local dealer. The bonnet star's a simple addition - the dealer will have one and can fit it within minutes. I've kept the grille but have got the bonnet badge replaced with the star because I missed it from my 211. I thought the combi of big badge and star was too much to start with but I really like it now - particularly from the drivers seat... If you wanted to try that to start with you may like it - if not then go the whole way. Either way you'll be driving a great car. Show us some photos of what you end up with.

Are you sure you are talking about the latest ----804 front end --with the one piece headlights and not the first 212.803 ? :confused:

what i have noticed alot in the last 7 days, is i have seen 3 new e class saloons, with the badge on the grill, and a double stand up star on the bonnet..

now this looks tacky and uber silly.. but people are doing this, i believe for 2 points, 1. nice to know where the front is and 2. u know u are in a mercedes saloon and not any old saloon..

market research clearly used the wrong demographic and thus mercedes is rebranding themselves alot lower i think than they should

Have couple of questions here:-

CP3377 can you post pic of your change please. very helpful to see the "in between" modification.

The Boss, can you explain the "double stand up star". As always thanks in advance for any illuminating answers.

NM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom