Facebook Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Is it possible to either centrally block or log all messaages, whilst allowing users access to the main facebook site ?

It's been a while since I've been on the site, I'll check later - but I do believe they use an encrypted connection.

If not, in theory, you could log all form submissions, but I don't know how the chat works off the top of my head.

Would be MUCH easier to just run a keylogger on the client machines - many corporations already do this (just remember to warn the users)

M.

Wouldn't a key logger only give me one side of a "conversation" though ?

Wouldn't a key logger only give me one side of a "conversation" though ?

your better off just banning it than trying to capture all of the conversations

Yes, see original qustion.....!!

Yes, see original qustion.....!!

Well there are chat rooms and private chat, but I cant really think of a way to allow access to the site but not to the chat parts as they are loaded within the main window

but as was already mentioned by another, you MUST notify the users that your monitoring their conversations

Last edited:
Yes, key logging would record only one side... recording the "other side" would be a minefield as you would need to notify the other side as well....

In theory, you may be able to modify the browser or make a plugin to specifically disable the javascript script that facebook uses for the chat... potentially identifiable by the script name... greasemonkey comes to mind- I believe there is even a IE port of greasemonkey...

This should disable the visal part of the chat interface... it potentially can be modified to work with IE...

1. Download and Install Greasemonkey for firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748...
2. Restart your browser.
3. Install the following greasemonkey script disablefacebookchat.user.js
4. Click Install on the left.
5. Browse facebook with no retarded chat window

These were taken from another site... and that link seems to be broken, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere or code it yourself...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080422165341AAS8Yrh

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom