Facelift CLS improvements?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
In the same way the W/S211 was massively improved at the 2006-> facelift and things like the SBC were removed, does anyone know whether the 2008-> CLS facelift had the same improvements?

In other words would a 2009 CLS be less likely to suffer the issues mine has had (and no SBC ones too!)?

I think although the cls facelift wasn't until late 2008/2009 there were improvements along the way. Not sure if some of these happened at the same time as the e class facelift but for example my late 07 cls doesn't have SBC.

Has your cls been misbehaving again ?!

I don't know, I've not seen it for 2 weeks! :D

But, before I left for Russia, it was *touching wood* great. But, I'm thinking I really love the look and feel of the CLS, but don't want any more hassles (SBC....) so if the facelift ones are better, maybe I should move up to one and then settle down to enjoy what is (IMO) one of the best cars out there! :)

Edit! Ah! My answer, from your thread in June! :) :doh:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/1490491-post9.html

Also wondering about the V6 CDI - was that improved to remove the bearing (etc!!) issues?

Last edited:
Ah, fingers crossed it will still be great when you get back then!

Just the balance shaft/timing chain issues on my petrol model at the moment :doh:. Waiting to hear back from MBUK.

In terms of the supposed 100's of better quality electrical components etc fitted to the W211 in the 2006 facelift it occurred to me that the CLS may have had these from the beginning, being launched several years after the W211 and this e-class facelift essentially saw the W211 catch up to the CLS in this respect? It would seem a bit odd for Mercedes to still build the CLS with lower quality components for 2 years after the W211 was updated. I'm sure someone more knowledgable can comment on this.

Regarding the V6 CDI I gather updated seals etc were fitted but not sure if this cures the inlet port shut off motor issues or if this is an inherent design flaw. The faulty bearings seem to be more hit and miss in terms of reported issues.

Interesting point. I'd wondered that myself (little things like the positioning of the 211 door mirrors which was similar to the CLS after the 211s facelifting).

Are you expecting goodwill from MB for your issue?

All this goodwill stuff has made me realise the best way to improve your chances with MB is definately to keep up the MB service history, so with that in mind, Tony Purslow's Platinum Plus would seem a very good idea!! Especially bearing in mind their great reputation on here!!

Interesting reading, thanks grober.

Interesting point. I'd wondered that myself (little things like the positioning of the 211 door mirrors which was similar to the CLS after the 211s facelifting).

Are you expecting goodwill from MB for your issue?

All this goodwill stuff has made me realise the best way to improve your chances with MB is definately to keep up the MB service history, so with that in mind, Tony Purslow's Platinum Plus would seem a very good idea!! Especially bearing in mind their great reputation on here!!

Sorry for the thread hijak. I am hoping for goodwill, we will see. FMBSH and bought from a main dealer, plus fault occurred just over 5 weeks into ownership (and recurred 600 miles/2 days after a new sensor). At the very least they are going to have to fix it to a point where the engine warning light doesn't keep coming back on, otherwise I will have to return it as not of merchantable quality.

Edit - not sure if goodwill is what I am after or whether it is the good old fashioned tier 1 warranty, of which I have 10 months left. Appreciate there are likely to be a lot of get out clauses on this though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom