Facelift E Class Cabriolet (post 2013)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sampan597

Car
E Class Cabriolet
I am contemplating on purchasing an E Class Cabrio. My only ‘fear’ is soft top in winter. As it will literally sit out on the drive all year. Would that cause issues at all? I don’t know I have a fear that soft tops leak inside. Hence I bought a hardtop E93 before.
Any advice is helpful... thanks

I had a 14 plate E Class Cabrio a while ago and it lived outside all year round and got covered in snow.

It never leaked but I did clean and proof it with Autoglym before winter set in.

I had a 14 plate E Class Cabrio a while ago and it lived outside all year round and got covered in snow.

It never leaked but I did clean and proof it with Autoglym before winter set in.
Right.. did you only do that once before winter season? Did it ever go green or slimey on the roof at all? So it shouldn’t leak if I use it all winter as my daily driver?

I did it after I bought it in case it hadn't already been done. Never went green or slimy and never leaked. I also used Gummi Pflege on all the rubber seals as a precaution.

No problem to do it now if you get a couple of dry days. It's like a thick canvas tent it will be fine.

Enjoy!

I did it after I bought it in case it hadn't already been done. Never went green or slimy and never leaked. I also used Gummi Pflege on all the rubber seals as a precaution.

No problem to do it now if you get a couple of dry days. It's like a thick canvas tent it will be fine.

Enjoy!
Thank you! Is there a link to where I can locate all of the rubber seals? :)

Thank you! Is there a link to where I can locate all of the rubber seals? :)
They are not rubber seals, rather it is a lubricant which is applied to the rubber seals around the parts where the windows meet the doors etc, which stops them sticking in cold weather. Also stops the rubber seals perishing prematurely.

The fabric roofs in modern cars are leaps and bounds better than those of yesteryear, regarding durability, insulation, soundproofing, etc, so keeping yours outside won't be a problem if properly maintained. :thumb:

Mine sits outside all year and never leaked, some people use a waterproof treatment such as

I did try some on mine but unsure if it helps as the canvas is very coarse and it seems to be absorbed rather than remain on the surface, I imagine it would be better on a fine woven mesh like a tent or nylon clothing.

Unless anyone has had better results ?

Previous cabrios I have had, I have used Aerospace 303 sprays. Both for cleaning and protecting. Water has always sat on top of the fabric and 'beaded'.

Yeah,
Mine sits outside all year and never leaked, some people use a waterproof treatment such as

I did try some on mine but unsure if it helps as the canvas is very coarse and it seems to be absorbed rather than remain on the surface, I imagine it would be better on a fine woven mesh like a tent or nylon clothing.

Unless anyone has had better results

I've had cabrio for the last 8 year's, before the E-Class I had a Saab, both outside in all weathers, never had a problem. As mentioned by others, I use Gummi Pflege annually and give it a clean when I clean the car, normally baby shampoo, rinse and then use my window vac to take off excess water. Twice a year I use a waterproofer (Fabsil, but they probably all do a similar job). The hoods always look new and never leak ☺

My CLK 2009 lives outside all year , I reproof twice a year and lube the seals every few months . Leaking isn’t an issue , don’t worry about it . The car will give up before the roof leaks

They only go green if you leave them standing, same as a hardtop does around the window rubbers.
Its a neglect thing not a soft top thing.

I've had cabrio for the last 8 year's, before the E-Class I had a Saab, both outside in all weathers, never had a problem. As mentioned by others, I use Gummi Pflege annually and give it a clean when I clean the car, normally baby shampoo, rinse and then use my window vac to take off excess water. Twice a year I use a waterproofer (Fabsil, but they probably all do a similar job). The hoods always look new and never leak ☺
Thank you for the advice, is there a link to some more info on lubricating the seals? As I’m unsure on that.

My CLK 2009 lives outside all year , I reproof twice a year and lube the seals every few months . Leaking isn’t an issue , don’t worry about it . The car will give up before the roof leaks
Thank you for the advice, is there a link to some more info on lubricating the seals? As I’m unsure on that.
When do you normally use Fabsil, around what month for example?

They only go green if you leave them standing, same as a hardtop does around the window rubbers.
Its a neglect thing not a soft top thing.

When do you normally use Fabsil, around what month for example?
I use Gummipfledge on the seals and sometimes silicone grease which is really cheap .
Yep Fabsil Gold probably Oct/Nov on a sunny day , and again Apr/May after my winter clean up .
Renovov do a paint that can freshen up the colour, they also do cleaner and proofers which are good stuff . For me though Fabsil is so cheap I tend to just use that

Hi,
I have had two convertibles, and Audi A4 06 Plate and a E350 CDI 65 Plate, the Audi since 2013, and the Merc since June 2019, always been kept outside.
Neither have ever leaked, I have more problems with water dripping in first thing in the morning when I open the window, and more so the Audi as I suspect that a drainage rubber seal at the windows edge at the front of the rood is blocked.
I reckon on giving the hood a good deep clean at the end of the winter March/April time with a specific branded hood cleaner, and waterproofing I have found the best one to use was the genuine Audi one they do a kit with both items quite cheaply, though it was bought from Ebay or Amazon.

Hi,
I have had two convertibles, and Audi A4 06 Plate and a E350 CDI 65 Plate, the Audi since 2013, and the Merc since June 2019, always been kept outside.
Neither have ever leaked, I have more problems with water dripping in first thing in the morning when I open the window, and more so the Audi as I suspect that a drainage rubber seal at the windows edge at the front of the rood is blocked.
I reckon on giving the hood a good deep clean at the end of the winter March/April time with a specific branded hood cleaner, and waterproofing I have found the best one to use was the genuine Audi one they do a kit with both items quite cheaply, though it was bought from Ebay or Amazon.
Yeah I get that with my E93 when I open the door and window some water drops in. But generally is it good to go ahead and buy?

I've had convertibles since I was 17(30 odd years), from spitfires, beach buggies and more modern stuff.
Just look after it like you SHOULD a normal car.
Its designed to be used outdoors!

If you don't clean and maintain anything they stop working properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom