Facelift W204 central display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anunak07

Car
MB S204
It's an old thread but anyway...

I have S204 C220 CDI T Elegance BlueEFFICIENCY, 2013. As we know, there are two versions of display size. A 5.8-inch 400x240 display is standard with Audio 20 and also 7-inch 800x480 Comand APS. There is not much written on the internet about that. A year of manufacture of a car has nothing with this. You can find a car that is 2011 year with bigger screen than 2013...

Here is the link that I found so far: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...ft-hands-on/5/

My question is: Is it possible to replace 5.8-inch with 7-inch display? I want to stay with Becker, what I want is just to replace the current 5.8-inch display with bigger one 7-inch (including plastic mask to fit).

comparison_746354cce23e7f81b615215a430df66d033f5442.png

Yes, you can replace it, but beside 7inch display you need also facial panel. After that, you will have bigger display with bigger resolution and the navigation will be Becker. I've done that before and it works. It's nice upgrade. You won't regret :)

I’m glad I just found this! I’m perfectly happy with the audio 20 setup, especially as I’m about to retrofit Apple CarPlay to it and will be using that mostly. The larger screen would be a perfect upgrade along side it.
It is literally a case of getting the bigger screen and surround and swapping them over? No coding or different connectors?
I don’t suppose you know the part numbers of bits needed?

This is interesting.

My 2013 W204 came with Audio20 and Becker Map Pilot.

I did initially look into upgrading the display only, but I was led to believe that the high-resolution COMAND screen cannot be fitted to Audio 20.

I ended-up replacing the Audio20 and its original small display with COMAND NTG4.7 and a large display (the conversion also required a new instrument cluster bezel, cooling ducts and fans).

I don't regret it at all... COMAND is a great upgrade. But it would still be interesting to know if the COMAND display can just work with Audio20.

I’m willing to give it a go if I could find the part number for the screen.
Edit: mine is facelift if that’s makes any difference

Last edited:
The COMAND NTG4.5/4.7 display currently fitted to my 2013 W204 is 1729016500 (A 172 901 65 00).

And you will also need the new bezel.

No idea if the wiring strip from the old display will fit though.

Cheers. So you think the 5.8” screen has a ribbon connector?
I’ve just been looking at the removal of a facelift screen and that has a fakra or similar connector.
Karel51’s post seems to suggest it’s plug and play to me

Another thought, as the resolution doesn’t change, the 7” screen will just be displaying a slightly enlarged copy of the 5.8” so not sure how clear that would look
Edit: just found someone saying they did the swap and the resolution was poor, as I thought.
Might have to scrap the idea

No idea to both questions....

I just ordered this for my facelift S204, 2013:

Monitor, Zentraldisplay Teilenummer: A1729008500,
Abdeckung Kombiinstrument: A2046890039,

Abdeckung Oben: A2046890639 (You can probably use the current frame),
Abdeckung Unten: A2046890839 (You can probably use the current frame).

It's plug&play. To retrofit the whole system to NTG 4.5 it's expensive and it's not worth it. ..Rather upgrade software on Becker to the last version and install with bigger screen 7". This is much cheaper and the resolution will automatically adjust.

Another thought, as the resolution doesn’t change, the 7” screen will just be displaying a slightly enlarged copy of the 5.8” so not sure how clear that would look
Edit: just found someone saying they did the swap and the resolution was poor, as I thought.
Might have to scrap the idea
I also found someone and he said that the resolution was automaticaly adjust and that now is everything much better. I don't know. He also bought on ebay 4 cameras 360° and connect it with wireless connector (without laying cables) and it works smothly he said.
I'll try it by myself and if something get wrong, I'll defenitly let you all know here.

Last edited:
Here is the link if you want to change the whole unit:
Komplett Set Comand Online NTG4.5 Generation 2 W204 S204 Mercedes Navigation | eBay

Here is the link if you want to change only the screen with frames:
Mercedes W204 C-Klasse Mopf Navigationsdisplay Navi Bildschirm A1729016500 | eBay

The price is obvious.

You can also goes with 10.25" Android unit but it's not OEM:
http://www.ckmcardesign.com/c-class/w204-07/1-comand-10-25-android-widescreen-touchscreen-w204

My opinion is that you'd better stay on the original, except 360° cameras. During this time, you can find also better cameras for less money.

Last edited:
Thanks thst is excellent. Please post some photos of the screen when fitted.
Have you been able to confirm if the 5.8 screen has the same connector?
I just have to find the part numbers for the correct trim as mine is right hand drive

yut0hWM.jpg

As we can see... the back is exactly the same with the same connector :)

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to seeing how the resolution looks.
I think I’ve found the trim numbers for RHD :)

Just a reminder that you need a RHD instrument cluster bezel (assuming yours is a RHD car obviously).

EDIT: posted at the same time as dest above.

Also:

Neither Audio20 NTG4.5 nor COMAND NTG4.5/4.7 have native support for Apple AirPlay or Android Auto, so an after-market external unit is required in order to add this functionality.

Audio20 does not have native support for reverse camera, but again this functionality can be added via an after-market adapter.

When I got my car I looked into getting 4.7, but decided it wasn’t worth the cost.
I already have map pilot, dab and media interface.
Literally the only reason I wanted it was to get the bigger screen, and the cost for just that didn’t warrant it. So if this works ok then it will be perfect!
I also have on order an interface to add Apple CarPlay. That supports a camera but I’m not bothered for one any way.

From what I can tell, a2046890139 is the RHD 7” screen clock bezel. It’s hard to tell as they look so similar!
I can’t make any sense of any online EPC’S to confirm it.
The hard bit is going to find the two trim sections either side of the screen as most sellers don’t seem to include them with the bezel, but also are not selling them separately either!

This thread looks interesting! Please post any updates as you go along
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom