Facelift W204 - COMAND versus Becker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
I'm looking at buying a facelift W204 and can see the vast majority come equipped with the Becker SatNav system, but a few do have COMAND fitted.

Can someone please run through the differences between the 2 systems ie what extra features COMAND gives? Does Linguatronic only come with COMAND? My dad has a facelift W212 with COMAND and that auto-alerts when a text message is received, with option to READ or IGNORE (via verbal command) - is this also something that only COMAND does?

Thanks.

Old thread revival... the OP may have already made his decision, but this is what I know (so far):

COMAND replaces not the just the Becker SatNav module, but the entire audio system and screen. As such it has better amplifier, internal music store, SD-Card slot for additional music store and copy/upload, and a larger high-res screen. It can also accommodate additional features such as reversing camera or Media Interface Kit.

COMAND also supports COMAND Online which allows the system to connect to the Internet via a Blutooth connection to your mobile home.

Additionally, COMAND is used to monitor/manage other car systems, but this is depending on the model of the car, so not sure what it does on a facelift W204.

COMAND can also play video DVDs which I believe the Audo 20 can not, but without rear screens this feature is of little use as the video can not be viewed on the front screen while the car is in motion for obvious safety reasons.

With regards SatNav, COMAND is the superior unit by far, the Becker Map Pilot does work but is has a tiny low-resolution screen and very basic software with few settings and options, so it will get you from A to B but it is not a particularly sophisticated product.

The issue with COMAND is that it was always an expensive option on the low-end MB models (including the C-Class) so not may second-hand cars will have it. It can be retrofitted (just been speaking to Alfie at www.comandonline.co.uk about this...), but again it will clearly be more expensive than a Becker Map Pilot unit.

Last edited:
Old thread revival... the OP may have already made his decision, but this is what I know (so far):

COMAND replaces not the just the Becker SatNav module, but the entire audio system and screen. As such it has better amplifier, internal music store, SD-Card slot for additional music store and copy/upload, and a larger high-res screen. It can also accommodate additional features such as reversing camera or Media Interface Kit.

COMAND also supports COMAND Online which allows the system to connect to the Internet via a Blutooth connection to your mobile home.

Additionally, COMAND is used to monitor/manage other car systems, but this is depending on the model of the car, so not sure what it does on a facelift W204.

COMAND can also play video DVDs which I believe the Audo 20 can not, but without rear screens this feature is of little use as the video can not be viewed on the front screen while the car is in motion for obvious safety reasons.

With regards SatNav, COMAND is the superior unit by far, the Becker Map Pilot does work but is has a tiny low-resolution screen and very basic software with few settings and options, so it will get you from A to B but it is not a particularly sophisticated product.

The issue with COMAND is that it was always an expensive option on the low-end MB models (including the C-Class) so not may second-hand cars will have it. It can be retrofitted (just been speaking to Alfie at www.comandonline.co.uk about this...), but again it will clearly be more expensive than a Becker Map Pilot unit.
...Stuff I didn't know ?!. I have command,linguafonic on my early 2011 reg car C250 CGI AMG Sportline blue efficiency model...and I can deffo play DVD,s on system but obv only when car is stationary....I,m thinking this must have been an upgrade from whence the first owner bought the car with various extras ordered ??..can anyone confirm if this would have been the case ?? ...car was built 2010... tks foxy52

...Stuff I didn't know ?!. I have command,linguafonic on my early 2011 reg car C250 CGI AMG Sportline blue efficiency model...and I can deffo play DVD,s on system but obv only when car is stationary....I,m thinking this must have been an upgrade from whence the first owner bought the car with various extras ordered ??..can anyone confirm if this would have been the case ?? ...car was built 2010... tks foxy52

send me your vin to [email protected] and I can tell you if it was a retrofit.

Last edited:
W204 - For a short period of time in late 2011 Mercedes were unable to source the standard audio units and fitted *all* C Class (SE, Elegance, Sport, AMG) cars with the COMAND system.

The cars were registered and sold as 'Edition 125' so that is a good keyword to use when searching for a car online.

W204 - For a short period of time in late 2011 Mercedes were unable to source the standard audio units and fitted *all* C Class (SE, Elegance, Sport, AMG) cars with the COMAND system.

The cars were registered and sold as 'Edition 125' so that is a good keyword to use when searching for a car online.

The Edition 125 cars were the first of the facelifted W204's (MY 2012) which were fitted with comand NTG 4.5.

Does NTG 4.5 have blue cluster and screen background illumination instead of light brown ?

I think you are referring to NTG4.7, which as I understand it is a later version of the NTG4.5 but was never formally called 4.7?

send me your vin to [email protected] and I can tell you if it was a retrofit.
...tks.f y i.I have been adv by dealer this and other kit, full leather ,park assist sensors,etc etc was part of the upgrade when the car was ordered...?!..that satisfies me ..ps was a long range fuel tank a standard fit ..anyone know ??.. ta foxy52

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom