Facelift W204 headlight woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
As above, I'm at a brick wall with these now

Purchased some facelift headlights, with HID's built in... from another country
:doh: you're thinking I know, but that's not my issue as they are pretty good.

I just can't get them to power on at all. The only side I have tried, is the drivers side for now. As the passenger side connector is a right ***** to get out with what available space is there, and I only want to test them to see if they work. To fully fit these I will need a facelift bonnet, which I don't have fitted yet. So for the time being, I just want to see them powered up.

So these are plug and play as the seller stated, they come with the HID bulb pre-fitted with the ballast mounted underneath. The 'cornering' light is a normal halogen bulb which is purely there to turn on whilst main beam is selected. Everything is wired internally, nothing hanging out the back of the headlight. Regarding the LED C-parking light all the wiring is within the units also, I'm assuming the correct resistors are built in within. All is powered via the 8-pin connector, which I simply plug my cars connector into, which is a pig to get out without a hook tool (or removing the headlight and bumper for more space)

So anyway, I'll stop waffling. They don't power on when connected. I've tried with ignition on, engine on, I've tried the indicators, high beam, low beam, nothing powers on as if there's no current going to them at all. Whilst these are plugged in, my cars OEM lights on the passenger side work as they should, so I know it's not my cars connector like the seller cheekily suggested. I have very basic knowledge of electrics within vehicles so I wouldn't know how to test them to see if anything powers up.

When they are plugged in, all I get on the dash is "check drivers parking lamp". As I say everything on the passengers original lighting works during all this, but nothing turns on in the drivers side facelift lamp. I then unplug them and plug the connector back into my cars original lamp, and they work straight away. The connectors on the facelift lamps are exactly the same as my cars connectors, and the aftermarket lamps are for halogen models only. Not Xenon, so... plug and play it's meant to be.

Is there a way I can just take a powered single wire and touch it to the pins on the connector to the headlamps to see if each pin powers up separately? I just want to make sure each separate element powers up- the indicator, the C-parking light, and preferably the HID itself but I understand the ballast needs extra power just at the start-up period.

Is it because I'm only plugging one side in and leaving my passenger side OEM lights on in the circuit? Do I have to plug both facelift headlights in or something?

Regarding taking the car somewhere to be hooked up to STAR to set 'Xenons=present', would that make them work? I was under the impression I didn't need to have that done just to test them out before fully installing. I don't want to get this setting done on the car now while I haven't yet committed to the full physical install with a facelift bonnet... Or if I had the car set to Xenons=present now, could I still use the original halogen headlamps for the time being till I make the full conversion up front?

I won't need a facelift front SAM for these lights, I would if I installed OEM facelift xenon lamps from the ILS package. That much I do know, I've sat and done my research for these... it's just something basic not working somewhere along the line :(

Apologies for all the questions, but I'm out of ideas with them. The seller suggests to take them to a garage to get tested and made to work, and said will cover the cost but he assures me they were tested before delivery, and I like to have a degree of trust with people as they do have some great recommendations and I've seen them tested on other forums before they've fully installed them and they work plugged in to just test they work, but mine just don't!

What's more annoying is back when I bought these, I couldn't find any place in the UK that sells them, but now there's a seller in Bradford which sells them for slightly cheaper than I paid and offers a fitting service. In which case I'm thinking, I could've just bought them from there and they could of sorted out any issues there and then during fitting.

Well, if you haven't fallen asleep yet after my essay, I've included some pictures of them below. Any ideas or suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated.

Internal shot of the parking light and halogen bulb side

Internal shot of the HID side

The connector that powers everything up internally, which is the same as the cars original male connector

Without telling the car that xenons present they should at least power on and flash on and off.

Have you checked for earth continuity?

whitenemesis said:
Without telling the car that xenons present they should at least power on and flash on and off. Have you checked for earth continuity?

I was thinking that, should definitely still power on to some degree to check all is okay.

How do I go about checking for earth continuity?

Sounds silly... but would it make a difference if I plugged the passenger side FL light into my cars drivers side connector? If it's possible, I could at least then know it's only a problem with the drivers side FL light

I've checked inside both lights, nothing seems to of come unplugged during transit. It's pretty tight in there, not that I'd know what I was looking at though but all seems okay

Bulbs damaged in transit?

martyz said:
Bulbs damaged in transit?

If it was just the bulbs damaged in transit surely the other lights would still work, I'm guessing the LED would be hard to break in transit jiggling around. As much as we like to trust couriers, I used to work for a large one which I won't name, and 'fragile' comes across as the opposite!

I know I'm not helping with your enquiry but you might not pass a mot if you fit these headlamps.

No level adjust or headlamp wash?

Auto-mobile said:
I know I'm not helping with your enquiry but you might not pass a mot if you fit these headlamps. No level adjust or headlamp wash?

Neither are needed if the car didn't have them from factory, or if none are fitted to the vehicle now

Ok, I have done one of these upgrades for a customer who had bought a car with everything fitted but basically nothing worked.

Firstly, you need lights from a RHD car if you ever want it to work on RHD, otherwise you will find that when main beam is off, main beam is on and vice-versa. (So customer had to have 2 new lights)

Secondly, you need a loom and a control module called the HLC

Thirdly, you need a Front SAM from a 2012 model (i.e that understands those headlamps and the HLC)

You will probably (age dependent on your car) need a new headlamp switch and to make a new wiring loom for it from the front SAM

Then you need to code everything which is absolutely not simple, you need developer mode, Video etc etc

Richard

Also, worth adding that until the LED controllers in the headlights (one of the modules bolted on the bottom) have been through initial startup they won't light any of the LEDs.

This is because the same module is used on multiple headlights that all have different LED configurations (with different current / voltage requirements), and so when you do Initial Startup you tell it the number written on top of the headlamp and the controller then knows what headlamp is in use.
- for this reason you can't take a used LED controller from one headlamp and use it on another car without risking blowing up the LED lights in the new headlamp !!

Richard

richard said:
Ok, I have done one of these upgrades for a customer who had bought a car with everything fitted but basically nothing worked. Firstly, you need lights from a RHD car if you ever want it to work on RHD, otherwise you will find that when main beam is off, main beam is on and vice-versa

Secondly, you need a loom and a control module called the HLC Thirdly, you need a Front SAM from a 2012 model (i.e that understands those headlamps and the HLC)

You will probably (age dependent on your car) need a new headlamp switch and to make a new wiring loom for it from the front SAM Then you need to code everything which is absolutely not simple, you need developer mode, Video etc etc Richard

Hello mate,

These aren't OEM xenon headlamps from another Mercedes. They are RHD units with HID's pre-installed for the low/high, with indicators and an LED C parking light which all is wired internally like OEM, ballast for the HID is mounted underneath the unit itself

These work on other 2010 models (models 2007 onwards), do you really think I'd need a facelift front SAM? I thought I'd only need a new SAM if I was using OEM headlamps from a facelift which I am not

I've purchased a facelift switch to replace mine on the inside of the car, I am planning an adding OEM DRL's in the bumper so when those are eventually fitted ill install the new switch, that or ill wore them up to a power feed and the parking lights

Hello mate,

These aren't OEM xenon headlamps from another Mercedes. They are RHD units with HID's pre-installed for the low/high, with indicators and an LED C parking light which all is wired internally like OEM, ballast for the HID is mounted underneath the unit itself

OK, I have only done this with the proper genuine parts. I have no idea how yours are wired, but if they aim to be a drop in replacement, i'd expect them to work at least a bit

R

richard said:
OK, I have only done this with the proper genuine parts. I have no idea how yours are wired, but if they aim to be a drop in replacement, i'd expect them to work at least a bit R

Yep real annoying, I can't figure out why nothing would power up at all. Think I may just return them. Or at least try out the passenger side light to eliminate any further doubts.

They are made for all halogen w204's both pre FL and FL 'plug and play' apparently.

How else would you say I could test the separate items within the light?

Bit of an update on this...

Had everything out and looked at by myself today, my cars headlight connector has 9 slots, my headlight has 9 pins - The FL headlights only have 8 pins. Can anyone with a FL W204 halogen model confirm if they only have 8 pins as opposed to 9?

One other major problem I've noticed as well is on the drivers FL headlight, the top left pin is that loose it's fell back in. It's sticking out by like, a hairline and no amount of patience is getting that pulled back out.

Pins on the passenger side FL headlight are all okay and firm, no problems on that side. Connected that side to the car and this time I got 'check front left parking light, front left low beam, front left indicator' warnings on the dash

My headlights, 9 pins. FL headlights don't have the pin which is 2nd from the right on the bottom line

image-361831935.jpg

Hey guys and gals

(For anyone interested, or who previously commented, or is looking to do this to their own pre-facelift)

I got them working today :)

All I needed was an adapter from pre-FL halogen to FL halogen, which was 95 Euros from Kabeldaviko. Great workmanship and saved me the hassle of trying to work out wiring diagrams and no doubt making a pigs ear out of it.

All functions in the lights power on as they should. I'm getting warning messages on the dash saying front- left parking light/dipped beam/indicator out which isn't a biggie. I'm assuming I can have these error messages cleared on star, or is that not possible to just 'delete' error warnings?

In regards of what happens with the light settings on the switch inside the car, they work with lights set to automatic as my OEM's do (lights set to automatic > 'C' side light is lit, then when the car senses low lighting the dipped beam comes on as normal)- or if only sidelights selected, just the 'C' parking lights come on- and as expected with the headlights just set to 'on'... everything works perfectly. Rather chuffed that finally I've got them working :thumb:

Have attached pictures below for anyone wanting a look. When I have everything else fitted (FL bonnet, bumper and DRL's) I shall throw up a thread with pictures, details and links to buy everything if anyone out there would be interested in doing similar

Last edited:
Hey guys and gals

(For anyone interested, or who previously commented, or is looking to do this to their own pre-facelift)

I got them working today :)

All I needed was an adapter from pre-FL halogen to FL halogen, which was 95 Euros from Kabeldaviko. Great workmanship and saved me the hassle of trying to work out wiring diagrams and no doubt making a pigs ear out of it.

All functions in the lights power on as they should. I'm getting warning messages on the dash saying front- left parking light/dipped beam/indicator out which isn't a biggie. I'm assuming I can have these error messages cleared on star, or is that not possible to just 'delete' error warnings?

In regards of what happens with the light settings on the switch inside the car, they work with lights set to automatic as my OEM's do (lights set to automatic > 'C' side light is lit, then when the car senses low lighting the dipped beam comes on as normal)- or if only sidelights selected, just the 'C' parking lights come on- and as expected with the headlights just set to 'on'... everything works perfectly. Rather chuffed that finally I've got them working :thumb:

Have attached pictures below for anyone wanting a look. When I have everything else fitted (FL bonnet, bumper and DRL's) I shall throw up a thread with pictures, details and links to buy everything if anyone out there would be interested in doing similar

Hi Ashley,
Excellent news, as I have been stressing over this for the past few days. How long was delivery on this? I believe a Canbus Error Canceller Kit can fix those issues, but again have not got to that stage!

WrapGod said:
Hi Ashley, Excellent news, as I have been stressing over this for the past few days. How long was delivery on this? I believe a Canbus Error Canceller Kit can fix those issues, but again have not got to that stage!

What has had you stressed? Delivery on the lights was a week, just under if I remember correctly. Would've been quicker but I chose to collect from depot. Delivery on the harness adapter was a few days from Germany :thumb:

Regarding the errors I will be seeing if an Indy can cancel them with Star coding, failing that I'll see about error cancellers. I'm awaiting a decent facelift bumper to pop up and a set of DRL, then I'll have the bonnet and bumper sprayed/fitted with the new lights- then off to the Indy to code everything and wire in the DRL's

What has had you stressed? Delivery on the lights was a week, just under if I remember correctly. Would've been quicker but I chose to collect from depot. Delivery on the harness adapter was a few days from Germany :thumb:

Regarding the errors I will be seeing if an Indy can cancel them with Star coding, failing that I'll see about error cancellers. I'm awaiting a decent facelift bumper to pop up and a set of DRL, then I'll have the bonnet and bumper sprayed/fitted with the new lights- then off to the Indy to code everything and wire in the DRL's

I was stressed as I was under the impression these were plug and play. The rest of the conversion is complete (we do car wrapping and sell body kits by the way - for mercs, range, BMW, etc), except headlights would not work. From what you've stated I am in an identical situation, so hopefully this harness works. Will order it today. As for the cancellers, I believe any standard one online will work, or so I have been told. In regards to the DRLS, your old headlight would have been connected using the 9 pin prong and also a small 2 pin one. This small connector is used for the DRLS when doing the face lift, so no wiring needed. Will send photos of the conversion later this week. (2008 Grey Model - facelifted to 2012 C63 with a gloss white wrap).

WrapGod said:
I was stressed as I was under the impression these were plug and play. The rest of the conversion is complete (we do car wrapping and sell body kits by the way - for mercs, range, BMW, etc), except headlights would not work. From what you've stated I am in an identical situation, so hopefully this harness works. Will order it today. As for the cancellers, I believe any standard one online will work, or so I have been told. In regards to the DRLS, your old headlight would have been connected using the 9 pin prong and also a small 2 pin one. This small connector is used for the DRLS when doing the face lift, so no wiring needed. Will send photos of the conversion later this week. (2008 Grey Model - facelifted to 2012 C63 with a gloss white wrap).

Where is this small connector/2-pin one for the DRL's? Yes if yours is a halogen model the harness will fit and work, available here ~ http://www.kabeldaviko.de/product_i...dapter-von-halogen-alt-auf-halogen-neu.html&=

Have you upgraded the rear lights to facelift LED ones? Mines a 2010 so has a different rear SAM to yours, pre 2010 w204's had something slightly different which would work somehow with the facelift rear SAMs for the OEM led rears, I shall be making a visit down to Comand to see if mine is do-able when I get the chance

Where is this small connector/2-pin one for the DRL's? Yes if yours is a halogen model the harness will fit and work, available here ~ KABELDAVIKO - W204 Cableadapter Halogen old to Halogen new

Have you upgraded the rear lights to facelift LED ones? Mines a 2010 so has a different rear SAM to yours, pre 2010 w204's had something slightly different which would work somehow with the facelift rear SAMs for the OEM led rears, I shall be making a visit down to Comand to see if mine is do-able when I get the chance

They are attached to the headlight plug on the car, its a small 2 prong clip which I am guessing some headlights would have had plugged in and others not, depending on the spec/features.

Yep bought from that link this morning, hopefully arrives soon. Yes I have installed the new LED 2012 Rear lights - plug and play and work perfect.
DM your contact mate, worth having.

WrapGod said:
They are attached to the headlight plug on the car, its a small 2 prong clip which I am guessing some headlights would have had plugged in and others not, depending on the spec/features. Yep bought from that link this morning, hopefully arrives soon. Yes I have installed the new LED 2012 Rear lights - plug and play and work perfect. DM your contact mate, worth having.

I don't think I have this prong clip, I'll have a look when I get chance. Where abouts along the headlight wiring does it branch off from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom