Facelift W205 C300 (2.0 petrol) - anything to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Potentially looking at a used S205 facelift C300 estate to replace our current S203 C230. Obviously a 2.0 turbo (M264) with 9G-Tronic will be a different driving experience to a 2.5 V6 (M272) with 7G-Tronic, but I'm keen to stick with petrol and the 1.5 'mild hybrid' C200 doesn't appeal as a long-term prospect (we tend to keep our cars for a good few years). I've done a big of digging but not really found any common issues to watch out for so far (the M264 is relatively new, and the S205 itself has been around > 6 years so 'should' be fairly well sorted?) ... is there anything I've missed?

Thanks in advance :)

PS yes a C43 or C63 would be lovely but unless someone would like to donate one they are out of the question! :D

Test drove a new GLC 300 petrol over a weekend recently which I assume is the same engine.

Was absolutely glorious, extremely rapid. Could get through the petrol though when pushing on. I think there is a very small elec motor which provides a 20bhp boost on these.

AFAIK only the latest '300' petrol models have hybrid assist? I understand it just uses the alternator to provide the extra power, which is why it's a relatively small boost. I'm not keen on the idea for a long-term car as I'd be concerned about the lifespan of the battery pack.

Big motor for 2ltr petrol engine .

C Class or GLC?

Unfortunately that's the future ... smaller capacity engines with turbocharging to get the power. As mentioned the C200 is now a 1.5 turbo 'mild hybrid'. All to drive emissions down.

C Class or GLC?

Unfortunately that's the future ... smaller capacity engines with turbocharging to get the power. As mentioned the C200 is now a 1.5 turbo 'mild hybrid'. All to drive emissions down.
isn the 1.5 a Nissan engine?

I think the 1.5 is a Renault (almost Nissan as they were partners).

I don't know why MB had to source an inferior engine when they had a perfectly good turbo 1.6 of their own.

Edit
I might be wrong, the Renault 1.5 that MB used was a diesel.

Last edited:
Yup MB have had a collaboration project with Renault/Nissan for some years now. On the engine side there's a 1.5 diesel (used in the Citan, A Class, B Class, CLA & GLA) and a 1.6 diesel (Vito), then a 1.3 petrol (A Class).

The Citan van is a re-badged Renault Kangoo of course, and the (now axed) X Class pickup a Nissan Navara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom