facelifting my SLK - would this look daft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
Following my little oopsie last weekend, I have been looking into getting facelifted bumpers and side skirts instead of the old ones.

The bodyshop said they're happy to do this if I pay the difference above the original parts and the insurance company agree.

I got some prices from a very helpful lady at my local dealer and it's a tad pricey:

- £95 (inc VAT) to upgrade the front and rear bumpers (may have to get different front fogs as well)
- £358 (inc VAT + 10% disc) for side skirts.

So everything is just shy of £500. (I know this is a LOT less than having it done under normal circumstances)

My question for you guys is:

do you think the car would look daft with facelift front and rear bumpers but no sideskirts? I would get these at a later date. Unless I can do some financial magic I doubt I can go the whole hog straight away.

(Oh, if anyone wants to try their hand at a bit of phtotchopping, feel free ;) )

I think it would look really nice, the lines of the car would be set off with the new updated bumpers...

Go for it...Its little money due to your accident...The skirts can come later...

Simon,

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't your current sills painted matt black? Would it be possible to get them painted body colour as opposed to fitting the new model updated side skirts? Maybe that might be a compromise that's easier on your pocket?

Unless someone photoshops for you I'm not sure how your car would look with updated bumpers and pre-facelift black side sills. It may actually look quite cool.

I'd be interested on how you get on.

S.

Just a thought, how much extra would it cost to go for the AMG or Brabus look?

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Simon,

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't your current sills painted matt black? Would it be possible to get them painted body colour as opposed to fitting the new model updated side skirts? Maybe that might be a compromise that's easier on your pocket?

Unless someone photoshops for you I'm not sure how your car would look with updated bumpers and pre-facelift black side sills. It may actually look quite cool.

I'd be interested on how you get on.

S.

I dont think it would be that easy, the pre-facelift sills (on a 202 at least) arent smooth, they feel like frosted glass, painting them would show this up I reckon

@Steve, BBW:
I've seen photos of the black sills painted body colour. It doesn't work too well IMO. I think because the sills curve in, underneath the body rather than the definite outwards look you get from skirts. It gave a shadow effect that I didn't like.

£360 for skirts is expensive - especially for what is essentially two strips of plastic. I checked out the Carlsson skirts. £560 :eek: Without putting the two (MB vs Carlsson) next to each other I really wouldn't tell the difference either.

@Tan: The AMG stuff is very exbenzive:
- front bumper: £1054
- rear bumper: £688
- skirts: £801

need all components to make it look right as well. plus I don't like the pre-facelift AMG kit.

I imagine brabus is probably even more.

In the meantime I need to get some black tape to cover up the sills on my model SLK in the lounge :p

cheers,
si

Originally posted by simonl
In the meantime I need to get some black tape to cover up the sills on my model SLK in the lounge :p
Don't waste your time sir!

Attachments

• slknosideskirts.jpg
    slknosideskirts.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 139
Originally posted by Shude
Don't waste your time sir!

Yeah!! You the man Nick. Have a banana, or three :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

That's me sold then. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

That's me sold then. Hopefully it won't be a problem.
It looks ok doesn't it? I reckon you could get away with not having the sideskirts for a while.

I just checked on the price of Reiger Tuning sideskirts for your car, still about £200 before painting and they cover up the jack-points so you'd have to use a trolley jack to change a wheel. Not exactly oem. ;)

Looks good . . .those facelift bumpers are much nicer, aren't they ! Has to be done !!

Photoshop can be a very dangerous / expensive tool .... ;)

You can definitely get away with that for a while, until you fit the facelift sills.

S.

Looking at Nick's piccie, I reckon you should go with the new bumpers :D That doesn't look too bad at all :) Then get the side skirts to complete the look when you can. :)

Of course once you go down that route, you'll probably want a matching set of bling bling mirrors too :p :devil:

S.

That looks damn good even with the black sills.

You might as well get it all done at the one time and then that will be the end of it.

Its a pain in the behind to have the car away for a second time.:rolleyes:

Simon, as the others have said, for the price of the upgrade due to your little mishap, I would definitely go for the new look.
Save hard and when you can, fit the skirts.
Cheaper in the long run.;)

i'm going to get the new bumpers if I get the go ahead. for an extra £100 it's an opportunity not to miss. as for the skirts....well i just can't afford it right now.

went back to the crash site today to get photos of the road. the number of various cars' parts behind the crash barrier was amazing. anyway i found a momento:

momento.jpg

for 10 points, what is it?

for 10 points, what is it?
Petrol flap cover? Umm bumper insert?

Good to hear you're going to get facelift bumpers :D :bannana: At least some good came out of your bad experience :)

S.

Does it go just under your headlight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom