Facial Recognition Technology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
With recent terrorist atrocities in cities round Europe perhaps its time to revisit this technology. This radio programme examines the advantages and snags associated with this burgeoning technology. While useful in combating national security its far from perfect and rather than protecting us may be a very effective instrument for state control- So no longer is big brother just watching you- he knows who you are! Leaders in the field- China. :rolleyes:
BBC World Service - Newshour Extra, Facing the Future

p.s. And you thought the roll out of those police body cameras were to increase transparency and accountability? ;)

Last edited:
Fine when used by the State

But maybe not so hot when manipulated by fraudsters, or your employer to manage your every movement within a building.

Meh... that camera in passport control can't recognise me; it keeps looking at my chest instead of my face then bleating an error.

Meh... that camera in passport control can't recognise me; it keeps looking at my chest instead of my face then bleating an error.

You supposed to stand next to the passport scanner pedestal, not straddle it, you naughty boy :ban:

Well it had better be more accurate that the airport passport scanner,new passport and 4 times now I have had to join the naughty boys queue,because something is not right.

Facial regocnition is all well and good, but what about look-a-likes. Some George Clooney look-a-like commits a crime and the real George Clooney gets arrested, even with a cast iron alibi (such as being on set in front of hundreds of set hands).

It's like DNA. It can prove you were there, but it can't prove who actually committed the crime.

Nah, the future of crime prevention is definitely in the hands of the psychics.

Essex boy?:D

I think you are right they have me marked as a dodgy geezer,these airport scanners are crap,there are about 10 and only 6 or7 are working the others are not broken but when one throws a wobbly they switch on one of the reserves a bit like Chelsea today.

Facial regocnition is all well and good, but what about look-a-likes. Some George Clooney look-a-like commits a crime and the real George Clooney gets arrested, even with a cast iron alibi (such as being on set in front of hundreds of set hands).

It's like DNA. It can prove you were there, but it can't prove who actually committed the crime.

Nah, the future of crime prevention is definitely in the hands of the psychics.

It's all circumstantial evidence. As you say, if there's a legitimate reason your DNA is somewhere (or your face is recognised) it doesn't prove much. - Too many people watching CSI think it's an open-and-shut case, but if there's still reasonable doubt it isn't.

We need three mediums to determine a future crime right? - Even in that movie they can fool the biometric scanners (although eye surgery is probably a bit extreme).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom